Hey all.

So I just thought of the moments in music class.
And the only things I can remember about my music teacher is that she isn't really that good at theory.
I was noodling on the piano in A harmonic minor, the next thing she did what is that that your playing.
And not in the sense of what song but she really was asking after my choice of notes.
Second thing is that she saw me tapping once, she asked if it was tapping, I said yes.
The next thing she says is that I'm better at it because I can do it faster?
Please share your expierences .
Mit freundlichen Grußen.
Liampje.
The worsts that I have had were all substitutes, and not just ones who came in and knew nothing about music. This one guy once was trying to run through one of our band's songs and he was trying to completely re-arrange the songs. He denied this even after we told him he was, glad he wasn't full time
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Degitech BP-80
MXR El Grande Bass Fuzz
Boss Bass Chorus CEB-3
DOD FX91 OD
Traynor Dynabass 200
Music teaching at my secondary school (aged 12-16) was appalling. Shocking. Criminally bad.

A music lesson consisted of writing down the lyrics of a pop song in the charts. I remember Karma Chameleon and Red Red Wine were two we did.

Primary school (7-11) was MUCH better. I learned about bars, note lengths, tied notes, etc.
in primary school it was pretty cool, learned about notes (lenghts, basic intervals), rhythms (common ones 4/4 etc.), learnt to play flute, all of as did

middle schol was fun, but not realy productive, teacher was really funny, but barrely learnt anything during that period, got basic singing knowledge.

highschool, teacher was/is serious, last year was more of a history , covered alot of music from medieval times to romantic perriod. If only i could find my notes from back then. This year was ethnographic music (Scandinavian, Chinese, Indian etc.) , nothing particulary usefull, next year should be more interesting, saw a few boks that contained traits of modern music, polyrhythms etc. looks interesting
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Quote by liampje
Hey all.

So I just thought of the moments in music class.
And the only things I can remember about my music teacher is that she isn't really that good at theory.
I was noodling on the piano in A harmonic minor, the next thing she did what is that that your playing.
And not in the sense of what song but she really was asking after my choice of notes.
Second thing is that she saw me tapping once, she asked if it was tapping, I said yes.
The next thing she says is that I'm better at it because I can do it faster?
Please share your expierences .
Mit freundlichen Grußen.
Liampje.

Oh the irony, the irony....it burns!

Pot

Kettle

Black
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Haha i think one of my music teacers was worse... He tried to teach us a song in 3/4 and he said it was in 6/3 xD i tried explaining it to him, but he tought i was stupid or something... He tried to tell a guy on bass to play a song, and said "open 5th fret" the guy couldnt play bass anyway, and didnt get what he meant, and the teacher kept saying "open 5th fret, play open 5th fret!!!" He also said that it was impossible playing chords on bass. He tried transcibing a song and tought one of the major chords became a sus chord xD It was in school, i was around 15 years...
vielleicht war sie die vollkommene Lehrerin für du, nicht wahr?

mit freundlichen Grußen,
Wolfgang
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
vielleicht war sie die vollkommene Lehrerin für du, nicht wahr?

mit freundlichen Grußen,
Wolfgang

I'm going to agree with this, seeing as he doesn't listen anyway.
Quote by steven seagull
Oh the irony, the irony....it burns!

Pot

Kettle

Black

Well those are really the only points I would remember because I'm not going to remember a Lionel Richie song.
We sang songs and one lesson almost at the end of the year, we learned some kind of crappy sight reading.
Really just terms and how to draw them not what they meant or how long one sixtheenth would last.
She made us write over a song.....What's the point of that.
She told us when you write these notes and bla blabla you get a scale, but she didn't explained there was more then just C major.
The worst teachers I've had were only bad because they did stupid stuff in their lessons like answer their phone to rent apartments, dogs barking in the background, late 15-30 minutes, arguing in the next room with the husband. Yea...

Never had a music teacher in school. Private schools. Damn them. I'd probably havve gotten into music a lot sooner if they had a program.
Quote by liampje
Well those are really the only points I would remember because I'm not going to remember a Lionel Richie song.

thats a shame because he could probably line the space shuttle with all the gold records he's got.
Quote by liampje

We sang songs and one lesson almost at the end of the year, we learned some kind of crappy sight reading..
as opposed to the good sight reading?
Quote by liampje

Really just terms and how to draw them not what they meant or how long one sixtheenth would last.
i'm not buying this, i mean maybe it happened but i find it hard to believe and even at that, if the teacher didn't mention it then you can always ask. perhaps you told her you already knew these things and she assumed you were telling the truth instead of testing you?
Quote by liampje

She made us write over a song.....What's the point of that.

i can think of several. first its usually easier to work with something you're familiar with, secondly they may have wanted you to exhibit some of the knowledge you were supposed to have gained
Quote by liampje

She told us when you write these notes and bla blabla you get a scale, but she didn't explained there was more then just C major.

maybe she was waiting for you to get used to C major and the major scale, you know the foundation of music. the stuff in here everyones been suggesting you go brush up on and learn properly. maybe she was taking you in the right direction and you didn't want to go.
My GCSE music teacher.

He really knows what he's talking about, but fails epically at teaching it.
He pretty much kills us with powerpoints about music styles for a whole hour.
Also, since it is GCSE music, he should really be teaching a lot more theory. Most
of the people in my music class don't know the notes in any key except for C major.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by liampje

It didn't seem to have affected you though, I'm sure you could find at least 20 scales/modes used in that song, none of which would be C major.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Woffelz
My GCSE music teacher.

He really knows what he's talking about, but fails epically at teaching it.
He pretty much kills us with powerpoints about music styles for a whole hour.
Also, since it is GCSE music, he should really be teaching a lot more theory. Most
of the people in my music class don't know the notes in any key except for C major.

I wish I had that.
All we have is 2 and a half year of music and you can forget it then.
I think I'm going to go to a new school, the ones where you have music.
And ofcourse, hopefully, at high level.
Do you have people in that class that don't play instruments?
Quote by AlanHB
It didn't seem to have affected you though, I'm sure you could find at least 20 scales/modes used in that song, none of which would be C major.

I can't really find 20 modes in a scale that has only 7 notes sorry.
My highschool music teacher is amazing. I feel honored and fortunate to be in his class, and I look forward to being in his class next year for one last time. I actually look up to him as a role model for myself.

He has a pretty damn extensive background as both a musician and a teacher. He was a professional cello player, having played in many places, and has even played as a studio musician on a few albums. His experience goes beyond that though, and I'd go on forever if I were to list them all specifically.

He's also been teaching for almost 20 years, and also has his masters degree in music. As a teacher, he's an amazing person. Not strict or very serious most of the time, but knows exactly when it's time to get serious.
Quote by zincabopataurio
My highschool music teacher is amazing. I feel honored and fortunate to be in his class, and I look forward to being in his class next year for one last time. I actually look up to him as a role model for myself.

He has a pretty damn extensive background as both a musician and a teacher. He was a professional cello player, having played in many places, and has even played as a studio musician on a few albums. His experience goes beyond that though, and I'd go on forever if I were to list them all specifically.

He's also been teaching for almost 20 years, and also has his masters degree in music. As a teacher, he's an amazing person. Not strict or very serious most of the time, but knows exactly when it's time to get serious.

Well, there you go.
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG355OXM
Fender Mexican Deluxe Series Stratocaster
Fender Squire Bullet
Schecter Damien Elite 8
Yamaha F325 Acoustic

Amps
Peavey 5150 II Full stack
Peavey 2001 Studio Pro 112
Roland Micro Cube
My 8th grade was horrible... She struggled with simple chord changes in guitar and explained horribly, and in that whole year all we really did was playing some folk songs and learning the history of Chilean music. This year we were supposed to have her as the music teacher again, but she was changed and even those who didn't give a crap about music celebrated
Professional lurker since 2009.
Quote by griffRG7321
I'm going to agree with this, seeing as he doesn't listen anyway.

you speak german?!
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
My 7th and 7th grade band teacher (I ended up quitting to focus on guitar instead of trumpet) was a huge *sshole. He would never compliment, just single out the one guy that messed up, constantly yell, make mistakes for you, and he had this superiority complex going where he thought he was amazing and better than everything else when really he was just a guy who knows music theory and has played trumpet for 15 years. He was such a d*ck. He ended making the original 70 kids in band quit until only 10 were left... He was that bad. Lmao.
Quote by liampje

Do you have people in that class that don't play instruments?

Nope.

1 person plays guitar and a bit of keyboard. [me]
1 guy plays the clarinet.
1 plays the drums.
1 plays bass guitar.
1 plays the flute.
1 plays the violin and the piano.
5 play the piano.
1 plays piano, guitar and drums.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Where I went to school, in the uninspired kingdom, music class consisted of playing damned xylophones. We had a room full of full keyboards with decent machines capable of just about anything you could want to do. Never used it, not even once. Never seen it in use either.