Hi,
I 'rescued' this guitar from my school, a place that may just be hell on earth for a guitar. The music department sold it to me for a rather low price. Does anybody here recognise this make, there is no logo on the headstock. Google suggests it may be a Sakai guitar from the early seventies but I can't be sure. I bought it as a bit of a project to see if I could get it working again, this is the first time I've done anything more than re-soldering a wire with a guitar so if I mess it up, not much of a loss :P.

(Invalid img) (Invalid img)

The electronics are in a bad way, the guitar sounds horribly distorted and keeps cutting out. (Invalid img)

The pickups have this cheap, tacky feel to them. I definately swap them for nicer ones.
(Invalid img)

EDIT: Images didn't work, They can be found here
Last edited by itz4mna at Jul 8, 2011,
I don't know the make but that guitar is awesome
Epiphone G400 (EMG 81/85)
Line 6 Spider IV 120W

SUNDERLAND

Alter Bridge - 26/11/11 <3

You might win one battle, But know this... I'LL WIN THE F*CKING WAR!!
Thanks, it looks a lot nicer than it sounds though I'm afraid but I hope replacing the electronics will address that! I've just given it a good clean, any suggestions as to what pickups I should use?
It looks a bit like a Teisco.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
It looks a bit like a Teisco.

Yeah, Teisco were another Japanese brand like Sakai selling cheap guitars weren't they?
give it some P-90s!
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

I think it looks f*cking sweet. That looks like a great find. I love the sunburst and that old style vintage single coil look. Maybe if you replace the wiring the pickups may sound a little better?
From a thread asking if it is safe to tell someone the serial number on your amp:
Quote by JAHellraiser
omg dont do it! he can hack your amp get the b00tiful t00b t0anz
Quote by fearofthemark
give it some P-90s!

I would like to, but I'm not sure if a P-90 will fit in the place of the old pickups, the old ones are mounted into plastic that is in turn mounted into the guitar, therefore using a non-standard cut-out . Looks like I'm going to take it to the guitar shop to deal with that as I have next to no skill in woodwork.
Last edited by itz4mna at Jul 8, 2011,
Quote by Darth_jacob22
I think it looks f*cking sweet. That looks like a great find. I love the sunburst and that old style vintage single coil look. Maybe if you replace the wiring the pickups may sound a little better?

There's probably no hope for these pickups, but yeah, new wiring may help.
It looks like a late 60s/early 70s Kay guitar.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Thanks for your help everyone, I've finally figured out what brand this guitar is, just not the specific model. I found this picture , the caption says it is a Sakai. The picture is of a guitar pretty much identical to mine, except for mine is missing the pick guard and the one in the picture has no whammy bar. Apparantly many had the headstock logo removed when they were imported into the UK. Once I have the replacement parts I will upload some pictures