Atlantis just successfully blasted off to rendezvous with the ISS on Sunday. I've been watching since 2 hours ago. Hearing/Seeing the pre-flight was really cool. Quite special.

Atlantis was travelling 15,000mph when the engines were shut down. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it. ****in mach 20.

The end of a truly magnificent program not only for the United States, but for the world. It shows just how much a country, and humanity in general, can accomplish if we just set our minds to it.

God Bless America!
I missed it. I'm at work and this computer doesn't have flash.

I had to listen to it on the radio.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
It was honestly more fun to listen to than to watch.

EDIT: I can't say that for real, but hearing it is better than nothing!
Yeah, too bad the Obamanation is shutting it down, guy is dismantling the only program the people of America actually approved of beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Maybe NASA will come back stronger than ever and we'll actually get to go to Mars.
Even though I don't really support Obama, it needed to end. It was 30 years old, the technology was archaic. I mean, solid rocket engine boosters? You're basically strapped to an enormous bomb...Our spcae flight is only gonna improve from the revolutionary groundwork laid by the Shuttle program.

And smb, that was weird, but its planned at 31 seconds to hand the count over to the shuttle comp. Hearing the word failure made my heart drop though.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Yeah, too bad the Obamanation is shutting it down, guy is dismantling the only program the people of America actually approved of beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Maybe NASA will come back stronger than ever and we'll actually get to go to Mars.

Why is his name always being combined with words?
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by axethrower13
And smb, that was weird, but its planned at 31 seconds to hand the count over to the shuttle comp. Hearing the word failure made my heart drop though.

I dunno, I was watching on the BBC so they didn't have a clue why it had stopped
Quote by axethrower13
Even though I don't really support Obama, it needed to end. It was 30 years old, the technology was archaic. I mean, solid rocket engine boosters? You're basically strapped to an enormous bomb...Our spcae flight is only gonna improve from the revolutionary groundwork laid by the Shuttle program.

Yeah, but there really isen't any better way to launch several hundred tones of metal into space.

I mean, it's not like we're going to use solar power to launch a shuttle into space.

It may of been 30 years old, but it was way ahead of it's time, and pretty much still is way ahead of it's time. I hear now they are going to go back to the 3-4 stage single rockets instead of an actual shuttle. Seems like NASA is down grading their technology from the shuttle because Obama slashed their funds.
Good. Now we can stop wasting cash on this program that far exceeded its projected value.

Quote by BladeSlinger
Why is his name always being combined with words?

Obamanation = Abomination. Apparently, Ethan doesn't like Obama. (I don't really either, but calling him names is a bit much, imho.)
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jul 8, 2011,
Quote by ethan_hanus
Yeah, but there really isen't any better way to launch several hundred tones of metal into space.

I mean, it's not like we're going to use solar power to launch a shuttle into space.

It may of been 30 years old, but it was way ahead of it's time, and pretty much still is way ahead of it's time. I hear now they are going to go back to the 3-4 stage single rockets instead of an actual shuttle. Seems like NASA is down grading their technology from the shuttle because Obama slashed their funds.

I wonder why?

I don't support what he did but all there has been is bitching about what he should cut and what he shouldn't. So he finally cuts something and people bitch. I don't agree with it but people need to shut the **** up for a while.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Anyone who reads sci-fi knows that the space program is the future of humanity!

When I'm a mega rich philanthropist, guess where MY money's going
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by ethan_hanus

Not trying to be a d-bag here, but there are many better alternatives, and this is why

1)The Space Shuttle was designed to essentially a flying semi-truck. The purpose was to haul things into space. We needed things in space and we needed a way to do it. The shuttles allowed us to build the ISS and the Hubble among other things.
Which brings me to the point that we don't need to launch hundreds of tons of metal anymore. The purpose of space exploration now will be to send a human very far and return him safely, think the apollo missions but for Mars.

2) As far as launching anything, we don't need the thrust generated by the solid boosters. If you're unfamiliar with it, I'd look at a ship called Spaceship One. This is the future of space travel. This is what is ahead of its time right now, whereas the shuttle is just par with our time. This ship doesn't slam into the atmosphere like the shuttle, it simply floats down. Much safer.

3)Idk where you heard the multi-stage rocket thing, but for its purpose, makes more sense the the solid rockets, because, like I said in 1, we don't need to send a huge thing up anymore.

I hate the fact that Obama slashed NASAs funds, but that has little effect on the ending of the shuttle program compared to these ideas.

Quote by Dreadnought
Anyone who reads sci-fi knows that the space program is the future of humanity!

When I'm a mega rich philanthropist, guess where MY money's going

Also I totally agree. I love Richard Branson, the owner of Virign. He is the main reason spaceflight is progressing as quickly as it is on the private market. The guys a genius. Not only is he helping fund humanity's future, but he basically saw what NASA was doing and said, "I wanna do what they do, but better and cheaper so I can market it and make a buttload of money."
Last edited by axethrower13 at Jul 8, 2011,
SHE THINKS SHE MISSED THE TRAIN TO MARS
SHE'S OUT BACK COUNTING STARS

Man, I wish I was good enough at science to be an astronaut/cosmonaut/space guy.
Watched this earlier, really cool stuff. Would have been awesome to actually be there and see if take off.
TRANSFORMICE

Ya know, I'd have to say my biggest thing was that they claimed there'd be weekly launches, at least 50 a year. There was, on average, 9 a year. Also, we've had 2 space shuttles blow up. Ultimately, I'd call the program a failure. Yes, there was a decent of societal progress through technological advances. However, the actual program failed its intended goal and cost more than double its original projected value.

Quote by axethrower13
Also I totally agree. I love Richard Branson, the owner of Virign. He is the main reason spaceflight is progressing as quickly as it is on the private market. The guys a genius. Not only is he helping fund humanity's future, but he basically saw what NASA was doing and said, "I wanna do what they do, but better and cheaper so I can market it and make a buttload of money."
And, imho, privatized space exploration is the future. I've been saying for a long time that NASA should be shut down and private companies should be allowed to invest in space programs of their own.
It's not that I don't respect all of NASA's achievements; I just think that it's time to let the private sector begin to do space exploration.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jul 8, 2011,
Quote by tallicafan888
Watched this earlier, really cool stuff. Would have been awesome to actually be there and see if take off.

+1

Although I've seen one take off when I was flying into Florida in 2008. Nothing crazier than watching a space shuttle take off and head into space from 30,000 feet.

And guy above me, you're wrong, sorry lol. You're correct that it was over-budget, but it most certainly wasn't a failure by any means. I don't understand how you could even argue that.
Last edited by axethrower13 at Jul 8, 2011,
Yea, NASA getting cut is flat out tragic but there are a lot of private groups that aren't going to let it die out. Hopefully NASA can come back full force soon.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Jul 8, 2011,
Quote by ethan_hanus

Space Elevators are significantly better.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now with 20 percent more Allah!!!

Quote by Borsworth
^^^

Quote by GoldenRose94

that'd be slightly creepy if i didn't find it so amusing.
Quote by BladeSlinger
Yea, NASA cutting cut is flat out tragic but there are a lot of private groups that aren't going to let it die out. Hopefully NASA can come back full force soon.

You & I must disagree. As I mentioned in my above post, I basically want NASA replaced by privatization of space exploration.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
You & I must disagree. As I mentioned in my above post, I basically want NASA replaced by privatization of space exploration.

I'm not extremely informed in the subject so I can't have an informed opinion. I think private groups could make a lot of progress without worrying about government funding and all the other stuff that comes with being a govt. program. From what I know, I've heard that quite a few advancements are being made through private groups.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
"In 2010, the space shuttle, after nearly 30 years of duty, will be retired from service.” - President George W Bush 14 January 2004

Not sure why everyone is blaming Obama, if anything under his time it lasted a year longer than planned
Spin round carousel
When your horse isn't screwed in

I II III VI:1 VI:2
An impressive system to be sure, but overly expensive. There will likely be cheaper launch vehicles to eventually replace it.
So if NASA's budget it being cut are they still going to launch the James Webb Telescope?
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Quote by mullet1337
Not sure why everyone is blaming Obama, if anything under his time it lasted a year longer than planned
I wouldn't say people are blaming Obama. (Maybe some are.) I just think people are taking note of a significant event, and it just so happens that event was during Obama's term. He's actually just continuing what Bush started though...