Hello Everyone!

quick question(s) here: How do you know if your good enough to be a in a band?

i know basic chords and power chords..and i want to play rhythm for a band but what else should i practice/learn? I've never jammed before either so what should i expect?

any info would be great,thanks!
Theory.
Quote by PsiGuy60
Banned because f*ck you Hebriqui.
I'd been going for a month or so.

Quote by Peres.T.Peanut
oh **** you
Well you're good enough for a band if they let you in.

Now whether the band is good enough to exist is a different thing all-together.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now with 20 percent more Allah!!!

Quote by Borsworth
^^^

Quote by GoldenRose94

that'd be slightly creepy if i didn't find it so amusing.
it depends what kind of band you want to be in. if you're looking to play 70's punk or garage rock, you really only need power chords. if you're looking to play jazz fusion or technical death metal, you better have a vast knowledge of theory, professional quality equipment, and scary good technical proficiency on your instrument.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
the music were going to be playing is indie,but nothing to technical..i assume. To be honest i feel more nervous about jamming,i'm afraid i won't be able to keep up,or i'll mess up too much. how should i prepare for this? and for rhythm guitar should i learn scales aswell (just in case).
learn to read music !!! Helps a lot !!!
Forever shouting 'IM THE DEVIL I CAN DO WHAT I WANT' at inappropriate times.

It depends on the band...

However, the success of that band can be somewhat dependent on how good they are. At least, longterm.
After you join the band, you'll get a LOT better.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

With jamming just....make sure you can take something already going and run with it. If you mess up don't stop, incorporate it and move on.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now with 20 percent more Allah!!!

Quote by Borsworth
^^^

Quote by GoldenRose94

that'd be slightly creepy if i didn't find it so amusing.
From my knowledge and irl practic I know that the most bandmembers play guitar even if they do the bass or drumming, ask them for some help and practice, practice and practice
Just don't be nervous and do what you can do. Also be conscious of what the other people are doing and if someone is trying to talk or give some musical direction STOP PLAYING. I hate when someone won't stop playing when someone is trying to say something important (especially drummers ).
Quote by 78the9
the music were going to be playing is indie,but nothing to technical..i assume. To be honest i feel more nervous about jamming,i'm afraid i won't be able to keep up,or i'll mess up too much. how should i prepare for this? and for rhythm guitar should i learn scales aswell (just in case).

in that case, you should be fine. just know the major and minor scales and know what chords to play in a major or minor key, and you'll be good. i'd recommend that for a few days before you jam with them, go easy on practicing. don't kill yourself to get ready. on the day you jam with them, don't play for more than 20 minutes or so before leaving your house.

just don't worry too much. unless they're somewhat of an established band, they're probably not expecting anything too much. if anything, you're personality will probably be more important than your playing skills. show up on time and don't be a dick. it seems obvious enough, but you'd be surprised at how many people show up to the first practice late and act completely arrogant. don't touch people's stuff without asking, and bring water so you don't get dehydrated. bring extra strings, picks, cables, whatever.

you'll do fine.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.