Today, I moved into my buddies basement and into my new studio.

To put it quite simply, my drummer has a basement, my guitar player has a Mackie Onyx 1640 mixer/firewire interface. So, in order to help us all record, I took my compy into the basement and have officially set up shop.

This is fun for me. This is the first time I get to mess with a properly mic'd live drum kit and have an environment outside of my bedroom to work in. A lot of the fun lies in the fact that its a 16 channel board. 16 separate inputs, all into PT9. This saves me a little bit of money on the new interface. Crazy fun.

Also, probably what makes it the best is that this is all set up in my ex girlfriends parents basement. She was one of those "You'll never make it in music" people :p
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Congratulations man. I can't wait till the day I can get out of my bedroom into a decent space too.

Do you have a decent mic collection to make all those channels feel useful?
I wish. Basically, its a bunch of Audio Technica dynamics on the drums, some AKG Dynamics for overheads (which are working better than I thought), my Rode NT1-A, a few cheap ass mics and a Sennheiser E835. Guitars are still going direct though.

One of my next investments is going to be some better mics. I want to get some Rode NT5's for overheads, a different mic for the kick and maybe a better vocal mic (I love my NT1-A but now things are being taken to the next level). Also, maybe a new desk for down here. My monitor barely fits on the table next to the mixer and my keyboard has to go in my lap. Still, a total step up from my bedroom and since its not my house, a good place to get away.
NT5s are an excellent choice. They're next on my list of mics to buy. I've never actually used an NT1A, but I'd guess a real kick mic would be more important after the NT5s.

A desk is one of the easier things. You dont need anything fancy, and until you get your mic collection a little better I'd advise not spending a lot on it. Check Goodwill or other thrift stores for bigger desks. Or, if space for monitors is the biggest problem, build stands for them. If you're at all handy with a hammer, you can save a lot of money that way.
Quote by soien234
It's very important to me

very useful thanks very much

Boy we are a selfish bunch around here. Can we not be happy for our fellow home recording engineer when they have an exciting change?

I've tried to have New Gear Days around here but I mostly took a lot of flack for it. This is sad. We're learning from each other, why can't we be happy for each other too?

EDIT: Scratch that. I see what you did to all those other threads too. Go away.
Quote by sandyman323
I've tried to have New Gear Days around here but I mostly took a lot of flack for it. This is sad. We're learning from each other, why can't we be happy for each other too?

For sure. Every other forum has Happy New X Day, we should be able to have happy new whatever days. I usually only save it for when I make a major upgrade (cuz seriously, if I did one for every piece of software I use, we'd see one every other day) but lets celebrate. Plus, since its putting me back into the engineer chair, I'll be able to actually prove that I know what I'm talking about :p