what do u guys think about bc rich guitars?

i have a chance to buy a warlock nt for 200 dollars used on cragislist.
its neckthrough, ebony board, bdsm pups
http://www.bcrich.com/warlock_nt.asp#

ive heard that since they company got sold in 2001, the guitars suck and are made in china. i need a sturdy guitar that plays nice.
what do u guys think??
Dont listen to all the BC Rich haters, 90% of them have never picked up one.I Own a BC Rich Stealth, and I've never played a guitar that comes close to it. The low end BC Rich's do suck, but the higher end ones are some of the best guitars i've ever played. If I were you I would surely give the guitar a try and decide for yourself. Neck through is Extremely comfortable to play imo. I would change the pickups out in the guitar eventually though.
Gear:
  • Orange TH30
  • Framus Cobra 4x12
  • Gibson Les Paul Studio
  • Gibson Explorer
  • Taylor 214CE-G
You're paying for style over quality with a B.C. Rich. I REALLY wanted to get one just because of how sexy they can look, but when trying them out against an equal priced guitar, they just don't stand up. Even the high end guitars can't go toe to toe with most other high end guitars.

If you want something that stands out, and you are willing to replace the stock pickups right away, then go for it. If you want something that has a sweet tone, look elsewhere.
The fact that the guitars are made in China has nothing to do with whether they are well constructed. They are made in China because it is significantly cheaper to produce them there.

B.C. Rich make good guitars. Obviously though a cheap B.C. Rich may not be as well constructed as a more exspensive one but that is the case for almost all musical instruments.

I have personally played several B.C. Rich Mockingbird's for example and they were very well put together, sturdy and well balenced.

If your thinking of buying a guitar, yes, ask people online and see what they think, but at the end of they day, you need to go try it out! If your going to buy it, you need to see if you like it.
I think is a good buy for 200, It looks very good except for the b.d.s.m pickups, if you changed them you would have a sweet guitar, but even with that for 200 is a good purchase.
Quote by Våd Hamster
Fuck yes you are the best poster ever

do you wanna hear a little piano composition I have just made?, I promise it don't totally sucks, you can hear it on my profile, any feedback would be really appreciated -C4C
thanks for the replies so far guys. well is the one im looking at would probably be a mid-end guitar....its only 200, and yea id change the pickups to dimarzios or duncans.

>You're paying for style over quality with a B.C. Rich
thats what worries me though...i kinda like the novelty shape, but im mostly looking for a guitar that PLAYS NICE and is STURDY +WELL MADE
Well Davem check out the guitar and play one. if you like it, grab it, if not well look else where
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Quote by Alucard817
Well Davem check out the guitar and play one. if you like it, grab it, if not well look else where

ill probably do that...but its a freaking hour drive...also im kinda sketched out that i'll think i like it, get home and realize it sounds like shit
Dont listen to all the BC Rich nut huggers, 90% of them have never picked up another kind of guitar.I don't own a BC Rich Stealth, and I've never played a guitar that has such a ridiculous shape or comes close to it. The low end BC Rich's do suck, but the higher end ones probably do as well, except to someone that has only played BC Richs or very few guitars. If I were you I would surely give the guitar a try and compare it to other brands of better quality(all) and decide for yourself. Neck through is no different to play, there is only a build difference otherwise you probably wont feel a difference. I would change the pickups out in the guitar either way though, as they'll suck more than the actual guitar.

Seriously, only get this if you're 14 and metal is the only kind of music you play.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Umm. You wouldn't like it. Now give me the number of the guy selling it.

In all seriousness, BC Rich aren't nearly as bad as all the haters make them out to be. I've never heard a bad thing about an Assassin, a Gunslinger or an ASM, go figure they're the only Strat-shaped ones. It's just people hating them because they're shaped "LIEK TEH DUMM METULZ KIDZ"(although, mind, I think the Stealth, Warlock, Bich and Mockingbird are all sexy guitars, I just don't like the Beast and Draco). The Bronze/$200 ones are pretty bad, yes, but the Masterpieces are okay-sounding metal guitars for $400(the port's a little sketchy on my ex-bandmate's Masterpiece, but he treats his guitars like crap and, well, it's a $400 guitar, I've played Epis and Squiers with the same problems), and the higher end models are nice. It's just the shape. The BDSM pickups aren't exactly amazing, and the 7 string versions are pretty horrid from what I've heard, but they get the job done and it's $200 for a neck-thru with an OFR(I think it's the Korean OFR, but those are, like, $100 new anyways, aren't they?). Get it and shove some DiMarzios in it!
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Personally, I don't like most of their guitars. Their shapes are a little too harsh, and with my style of playing would look silly. (I'm not into metal, that's for sure.) I do love their Eagle model though, it's gorgeous. I also like that they don't just recycle the generalized Les Paul/Strat shapes and call it their own.
Its not a bronze or platinum so it should be decent enough if you can put up with the horrid warlock shape.
i have a BC Rich warlock Rave 2. now before i beat it down with details i will say that the guitar has lasted... hell i have no idea how many years. i bought it at a pawn shop so im not sure if is stock pups and all that. but regardless the tone (if you would call it that) is VERY dark. playing clean isnt a option but it sounds decent distorted. i guess thats the effect of plywood guitars. lol yes plywood.

anyway my BC Rich is the lowest entry level BC Rich has to offer. its an ok guitar at best when you look at is if it where some metal heads first guitar. BC Rich makes quality guitars but you can get more bang for your buck elsewhere. and dont worry they dont make the rave 2 anymore
get it. 200 bucks for a through neck nj bc rich. its worth it. if you dont buy it i will. i own a USA made Rich and it is flawless. the bronze model suck but how many other low end guitars suck.
I have 41 guitars. I've played for 40 years. A couple of Deans, Jacksons,etc. Nothing even begins to touch my BC Rich Metal Web with EMGs for 'the' metal sound. I have 4 BC Rich guitars...my next favorite for metal after the Rich Bich is the 'Afterburner'.

Last edited by Pocopot at Jul 9, 2011,
From what I understand NTs are pretty solid, why not for that price
To everyone who spoke negatively of low-end BC Rich guitars... would the NT series (specifically this: http://cgi.ebay.com/BC-RICH-NT-Warlock-Electric-Guitar-Onyx-/350457662859?pt=Guitar&hash=item5198e78d8b)
...be considered low end?
Are the NTs also Chinese made?

I know that the whole BC Rich gimmick is the unorthodox shapes but I think that the shape and feel of the guitar is important. If you enjoy holding it then you'll enjoy playing more. Not so?
Low end BC Rich's suck.
Higher end ones suck.
Custom shop ones suck.
Misha

Music Man Axis Super Sport
Diezel Einstein 100, Sparrow's Sons 2X12
oh shit guys, the guy selling it lowered the price to 150$

i kinda dont want it anymore because of what you guys said, but a neckthrough guitar with an ebony board for 150....the pickups must be really bad.

oh and its like an older version of this i think:

Quote by Akula KO
To everyone who spoke negatively of low-end BC Rich guitars... would the NT series (specifically this: http://cgi.ebay.com/BC-RICH-NT-Warlock-Electric-Guitar-Onyx-/350457662859?pt=Guitar&hash=item5198e78d8b)
...be considered low end?
Are the NTs also Chinese made?

I know that the whole BC Rich gimmick is the unorthodox shapes but I think that the shape and feel of the guitar is important. If you enjoy holding it then you'll enjoy playing more. Not so?
Quote by CrazyPigeon
I used to own a KKV. It was awful.

Their are two KKV guitars. The cheapo version, and than the one with EMG's and a kahler tremolo.

Anyway, I own two BC Rich guitars. They're mid range guitars, but I got lucky with my Mockingbird masterpiece. It's an extremely nice guitar. Came setup pefectly, the pups sound great, and it is very well balanced. My Warlock on the other hand, it's action is pretty high, and I can't seem to get it any lower. I had to have the tremolo repaired because it started coming out of the body. But all and all, the warlock is a decent guitar.

Like some of the guys said, it's the lower end BC Rich guitars you have to watch out for. Like the Bronze series, and the platinum series. If you can find guitars like the NT, NJ, and some super old B.C Richs, you'll be set.
You absolutely get what you pay for with BC Rich. The cheapies are awful, especially the newer ones. Five years old and more they're not so bad, and of course the higher end ones are pretty good too.
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
Go for it. $150 isnt too bad a risk, cuz you can be pretty sure to get a bit over half that back, prolly get $100 pretty quick if you put it on craigs list, a bit more if you are patient. It might be The Guitar you're waiting for. It's almost worth $50 just for the peace of mind. Don't forget, this is the rest of your life we're talking about. Can you really live without knowing for sure?
Last edited by RebuildIt at Jul 19, 2011,
Quote by terribleguitar
Low end BC Rich's suck.
Higher end ones suck.
Custom shop ones suck.

Ya, sure, You've played them all
i'll be honest, low end bc rich's suck.
the one you are looking at won't. its not a flipping amazing guitar, but then again, its not a custom shop instrument.

high end bc richs are great, i just hate the shapes.

would i buy a bc rich if i was into metal though.... probably, it would be a eagle though.
I have a 2007 Bronze Series and it doesnt suck. IDK if im getting really lucky or what, but both my guitars, crescent and warlock, are rated as crap but they sound great, better than my uncles higher end guitars. I'd take the risk for $150
Crescent(No info on this, bought used, PM if you'd like to help me out...?)
2007 Warlock
What about the Bodyart models from 2003 ? I have a chance to get a Warlock which has the Maggot man art on it, for only $120.00. It's supposedly in NM condition with no flaws. I would like to know a little about it as far as the tone and the durability of it.
thats a good deal, take it man...I own a B.C. Rich Kerry King Signature V and i just LOVE it. The neck-thru is comfortable, mine has a kahler and emgs but ive played the one you have the chance to but and i really liked it...personally i love bc rich guitars they are the best right next to jackson, but thats ME...but its your money, you spend it how you see fit
Bottom line is, with a BC Rich, you REALLY get what you pay for. I played a friend's BC Rich Bronze Warlock, and that thing was a real piece of sh**. But, however, I played a much more expensive NJ series Beast once. THAT was a great guitar. Nice neck, great pups, floyd rose... You get my point. So don't go for a cheap BC.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT