Hi all, just joined this site cause a friend said you guys know a lot about amps. Anyway I was just given a small discount british voiced class A/B 15W amp head by Laney which sounds great for classic rock, but since I mostly play metal I'd like to see about some mods to make it more my style.
It has two EL84 tubes in the power section and three ECC83/12AX7s in the preamp. Id' figure I'd start with changing those for tubes better suited for metal. Any suggestions on this and other relatively simple mods I can do to shape the tone into metal?
Hate to disappoint, but you're not going to be able to do what you're asking. Unless you completely rebuild the amp, you're not going to be able to use different tubes, and you're not really going to be able to get heavy metal tones out of it either. You can increase the gain, but it's still going to be a 15 watt EL84 amp when you're done.
Quote by AJDrac
Easy mod - put a tubescreamer in front of it.

Well I have a couple dirt pedals I've tried it out with but that's not really what I'm going for. The amp has enough gain for my style of metal. Also mentioned above, it's a British amp with EL84s in it, I'm not trying to turn it into a 6L6 type amp. What I meant was can I make this puppy sound like say a JCM800? I really don't think it's that far of as it is, and first would like to try out different brand tubes.

Any suggestions?
Quote by electricmojo200
Well I have a couple dirt pedals I've tried it out with but that's not really what I'm going for. The amp has enough gain for my style of metal. Also mentioned above, it's a British amp with EL84s in it, I'm not trying to turn it into a 6L6 type amp. What I meant was can I make this puppy sound like say a JCM800? I really don't think it's that far of as it is, and first would like to try out different brand tubes.

Any suggestions?

Send it to AucousticMirror XD
Quote by mcraddict81592
If you need to kill a man with a 9v adapter? I say strangulate. Or swing the heavy end around and aim for the temple, all depends on your style.

FrankenBee Build
I know you said metal but more modern metal has a very different tone from more classic 70's metal. 70's metal has a tone that is caused by the 6L6 or EL34 output tubes being overdriven in a class AB amp. modern rock has a tone based on succession hard clipping preamp stages with high and low pass filtering stages to keep the sound tight and compressed.

here's my review of tubes i've used

tung sol 12ax7 current production: my current favorite in all amps i own. warm and punchy with alot of output and thump. a ton of clean headroom, hard to overdrive but great for overdriving output stages.

Electro harmonix 12ax7eh: good output, lacks the attack/punch of the tung sol 12 ax7. distorts easily with a wide range fizz that reminds me of the boss ds-1. lacks the bass.

sovtek 12ax7wc: between the tung sol and the EH in the punch department. range from kinda low to kinda high but not in the painfully treble range. distorts like a chainsaw. sorry that is the best i can describe it.

groove tube EL84: good sound but overpriced (tested for headroom and labeled on a scale and matched then relabeled as groove tube). lots of mids and highs good distortion. articulate.

mullard el84: i cant tell the difference from the groove tube.

(fyi i use 2 Tung sol 12ax7s for the preamp, an EH 12au7 for the phase inverter, and 2 tung sol 5881's in my Sovtek Mig 50 (a non master JCM 800 clone). for my other guitar amp i use 1 tung sol 12ax7 and one mullard el84, it is an epi valve junior, heavily modified for a fender black face voicing and more gain. both of my amps get the lion's share of distortion from the output stage being overdriven.)
Last edited by brentonlatour at Jul 8, 2011,