Hello all,

So the strap holders on my Gretsch Synchromatic double jet wont' stay in. I've tried using toothpicks, pencil shavings, etc....

I have been told NOT to glue the strap holder in.

HOWEVER, I am COMPLETELY FINE with having the strap holders there permanently, but Will it effect the tone overall?
just get longer screws...
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by ethan_hanus
It wont affect the tone, but glue wont be the strongest bond. I'd fill it with JB weld, and then re drill the hole, or some similar material that's hard and bonds well.

Glue is stronger than wood, why do you think a Gibson with a broken headstock never breaks in the same place after being broken. Glue actually makes the head stronger. Should be the same in this situation. A bit of wood glue with tooth pics will do no harm.
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
Quote by digman50
Glue is stronger than wood, why do you think a Gibson with a broken headstock never breaks in the same place after being broken. Glue actually makes the head stronger. Should be the same in this situation. A bit of wood glue with tooth pics will do no harm.

Wood on wood yeah, but wood to metal, I've never had any luck with getting a good bond that way, it's easier to fill and redill.
I had the same problem and I put a little loc-tite super glue on the threads of the screw and screwed it in and i have never had a problem again.

another time i was replacing the strap holder with strap locks and the replacement screw was smaller than the original so i filled the holes half full with 5 min epoxy and put in the screw. no problems.

about the tone i can't imagine that such a minuscule cavity having a negligible amount of glue in it will affect the tone. your clear coat is a big thick layer of glue basically.
bit a wood glue, a toothpick. let it set, drill a small hole for the screw. screw it in

It's not all that hard

Don't bother mixing epoxies.
Gear's : Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube | MicroCube | Noisy Cricket | Ibanez S470DXQM Blue Burst | Takamine EG440C
Pedals : MXR M-108 EQ | Digitech Bad Monkey, Sanpera I, GFS Tuner

Seref : Cali would put a health warning on celery if they could
Quote by brentonlatour
... with 5 min epoxy and put in the screw....

it wasn't my best idea. but it worked. i would use super glue if i was to do it again. but the tooth pick/sawdust and glue thing is time tested and ubiquitous so that is safe.