So the time has come to clean my fretboard for the first time. My guitar has a rosewood fretboard with abalone inlays, is there any type of chemical/substance I should steer clear of? And can anyone recommend me anything to use?

Cheers
What about Dunlop 65 Ultimate Lemon Oil? Is that any good for rosewood? And how do I actually clean my fretboard? Sorry for all the questions but I've never done it before
Dunlop 65 all the way.... that stuff is awesome from the cleaner to the lemon oil for the frets.
I use lemon oil from D'Addario.
I apply it directly on the fretboard and scrub with the finest steel wool. Then I use a paper towel to take the excess off.
Just because I have some strong opinions doesn't mean I agree with everything I say.
I use lemon oil from dunlop, but don't forget, if you don't do it often then it will soak it up, just apply till it steps soaking it up
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
Boss Noise Gate, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, Boss Tuner, Zakk Wylde Wah.
Wow, so much wrong in this thread.

If this is the first time the fretboard has been cleaned and the guitar is a year or two old then get some proper cleaning products. Dunlop make a whole range of them at a reasonable price and they sell them in box sets with cleaning cloths and fret polishing cloths too so they're a really good way to go. They come with a dedicated cleaner and deep conditioner, use those one after the other. Lemon oil is not a cleaning product, it's a conditioning product. There's not much point using it after using a deep conditioner but it helps to put literally just a couple of drops on the board every year or so. Remember that over-cleaning and over-conditioning can hurt the wood more than not taking care of it at all.

Absolutely do not use a damp rag, paper towels or anything like that at all. Water has no business being anywhere near rosewood and rags, random cloths and paper towels are the worst things you can use. You need to use a lint free cloth. again, Dunlop and also Gibson and a few other companies make these ultra-fine cloths that are made specifically for cleaning, conditioning and polishing guitars.

If your guitar has a nitro finish, make sure not to get any of these chemicals on the finish. Also don't rub on it. If your guitar has a poly finish then it's fine, but you should still be careful. No point in making a mess.

Keep clear of the nut, make sure you don't let anything build up by or get stuck under the frets and don't put anything near the bridge saddles or pickups.

Lastly remember that less is more and that if you use to much of any chemical, even the ones made for treating wood, you WILL damage your fretboard and if you're unlucky that can write off your guitar completely. Don't use anything more than you need to. Read the back of the bottles and follow their instructions but only use about 2/3rds of what they recommend. That way you know for sure you're only using the bare minimum that your fretboard needs and you run no risk of damaging anything.
^ +311

I pretty much back this up 100%

Especially this part.

Quote by grohl1987
Remember that over-cleaning and over-conditioning can hurt the wood more than not taking care of it at all.

Some would say that these oils can actually make your board dry out faster in the long wrong. Whoever said to spray it on and keep doing until it no longer soaks in is crazy.