inb4 penis joke

Hey guys. I wanted to know if there really is such a huge difference between a 34'' scale and a 35'' bass. I've heard countless of times that a 35'' will keep the B string more tight, which is something I love, but i've also heard that it's just a way that manufacturers make more money and that it's just as good as a 34'' scale. Is this true?

I have tried a 35'' scale bass, and I didn't feel like WOW, it's sooo much tighter! It felt just about the same In terms of sound, it was good but i've also played tight B's on 34s. I'm asking because as you all know, im working to eventually get a 5 string bass and wondering if there is such a huge difference when it comes down to it.

At any rate, im looking to buy a 5 stringed Ibanez SRX, and those are 34'' scale but with the recent mods they made to make the headstock 2+3 instead of 3+2 and they moved the B tuner up an inch, so it's essentially a 35'' in a 34'' form if that makes sense. But i've always been in love with the SR505, and that one is 34'' all the way.

Any help appreciated, thanks.
pinga
And longer I would assume is usually easier to intonate with lower range instruments. Don't let yo B strings flop yo...
1966 Stella Harmony Acoustic
Epiphone Dot Studio
Fender Starcaster (Made by 5 year olds in China)
THE Epiphone Mandolin
Dean 7 String (Totally Korean)
Yamaha C45m
Mitchell 12 MD100S

More Strings=More Range=More BadAssery
Quote by ethan_hanus
Once you pass the nut, it doesnt matter how long the string is. Your scale is between the nut and the bridge break points, that's what matters.

The longer the scale, the more string tension.

This.

It's all personal preference in the end
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by ethan_hanus
Once you pass the nut, it doesnt matter how long the string is. Your scale is between the nut and the bridge break points, that's what matters.

The longer the scale, the more string tension.

Damn, so it would make a noticeable difference?
pinga
Does it make a difference? Sure!

Does it matter? Nope!

Shoot... i know guys that play short scale, 30", 5 strings, regularly. I've seen all the way down to 27" on a fiver and it's still plays and sounds like a 5 string in the crowd.

Pick whichever feels/sounds better to you. For me, there are much more inportant things to worry about than the discrepancy between 34 and 35.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by Din of Win
Does it make a difference? Sure!

Does it matter? Nope!

Shoot... i know guys that play short scale, 30", 5 strings, regularly. I've seen all the way down to 27" on a fiver and it's still plays and sounds like a 5 string in the crowd.

Pick whichever feels/sounds better to you. For me, there are much more inportant things to worry about than the discrepancy between 34 and 35.

Haha, yeah I know. The thing is, when I get a fiver, im planning on taking the B string all the way to G, so I didn't want to buy a 34'' and find out it suffers from total spaghetti string syndrome and that I should've bought a 35''. Just wanted to be sure is all.

Also, christ, 27''? That's barely even a bass anymore
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
Haha, yeah I know. The thing is, when I get a fiver, im planning on taking the B string all the way to G, so I didn't want to buy a 34'' and find out it suffers from total spaghetti string syndrome and that I should've bought a 35''. Just wanted to be sure is all.

Ahhh... didn't know you'd be tuning down!! Musta failed some reading comprehension on my part

In that case, you do want all the help you can get. So if you ARE buying a 5er for the first time, you may as well get a 35. However, if you HAD a 5er and it were 34, i'd never reccomend getting a new one just to tune to G. At that point, the strings are usually so huge anyways, that any decreased flop from 1" is negligable.

Also: While the weiner innuendo is fresh... when you do get one and tune down, don't forget to have an appropriate sized nut to accomidate the big strings!

Haha, yeah... the 27" thing is a bit much, even for me and my love of ss basses
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Ah, sorry, I didn't mention it in the OP.

Man, the problem is I LOVE the SRX series. The neck is exactly the way I like it. The only 35'' Ibanez makes is the BTB, which I didn't get along well with the neck and the huge horn it has. And I don't really like any other brand's 35'' scale basses, not to mention they get pretty expensive quickly. I figured the inch of space they have the B tuner would compensate for the 34'' scale, but apparently it doesn't

Anyway, yeah, as soon as I buy the bass, im getting it set up professionally since I wouldn't know how to go about filing down the nut and all, not to mention i'd probably want no less than a .165 gauge string.

What a pain in the ass.
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid

A 27 inch scale bass is a Baritone guitar basically. Or a childrens bass.

The tension difference is only slightly noticeable, most people wont notice, unless your down tuning.

If you get the 34 scale, you might slap a tad bit thicker strings on it if you want more tension, but to me it's never really mattered, I play lightly.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. As long as I get thick strings and a nice tight set-up (which I prefer anyway), i'll be bacon. It's a shame the 3+2 headstock of the older Ibanezes are so ugly though. Those new 2+3 have spoiled me.
pinga
a 35 helps, but meh. there are so many other factors that getting one simply because its 35 is stupid. when I was shopping for my 6 the scale length was the last of my worries (to an extent. I wasn't gonna get a 30 incher or anything)

if you ever find 2 basses that you are totally torn between, scale length could be your tie breaker, other than that don't worry about it.

and I am a firm believer that headstock length effects tension, I will have to test it out someday though. I think next time I string a guitar ill take 2 high es and put 1 in the low e slot and one in the high e slot and see if the tuner placement changes anything.
no sir away a papaya war is on