Hey guys!
I've been thinking of getting an overdrive pedal to tighten and clean up the distortion on my rig. I've been trying my relatively new rig out for some time and I feel like I want to try out an overdrive pedal just for the heck of it.

The thing is, I'm having trouble choosing between the Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-7 and the Ibanez TS-9. Most of the videos where people have been displaying the sound of the pedals have mostly been displaying the sound when played through the clean channel of the amp, and that doesn't help me at all.

I'm not really economically limited, but I don't feel like going over the price of the TS-9, since it already is quite expensive compared to the other two.
From what I've heard, the Bad Monkey is a bit fuzzy, and I want some clarity in my sound, since the Valve King head i'm playing through is quite muddy and fuzzy, even after I've changed the preamp tubes to Tung Sol 12AX7 tubes. It did help a little bit, but i'm not satisfied just yet!

tl;dr, I want to be able to do some crazy pinch harmonics without having to sacrifice the clarity of my sound. I don't really want to colour my sound, since I kind of like it, but to tighten it up a bit and give it more clarity.

Please go ahead and tell me if i'm getting the wrong idea of something, since I aint very experienced in this subject.. I'm almost only going on what I've heard from others, which aint good at all, but I'm limited to this since I can't try out the pedals on my own without buying them first...

(My rig is a Peavey Valve King Head 100 and a Harley Benton G412A Vintage cabinet)
(oh btw, the genre i'm gonna play with the pedal is Metal/Metalcore-ish. It's a bit rougher than that but I don't wanna call it deathcore.)
Last edited by Skippzore at Jul 8, 2011,
The Bad Monkey sounds extremely digital and flat. You don't want that OD; that's a mistake that I made too. I believe the TS-9 is one of the best distortion pedals out there. But just go into a store and play them, that's the only way you'll know which one does exactly what you want it to.
Quote by Eryth
The Bad Monkey sounds extremely digital and flat. You don't want that OD; that's a mistake that I made too. I believe the TS-9 is one of the best distortion pedals out there. But just go into a store and play them, that's the only way you'll know which one does exactly what you want it to.

Thanks for warning me... I really dislike digital amp sound.. I was playing through a Boss Metalcore ML-2 connected to a laney transistor combo amp before I got my current rig, and it was pure... terror :<

That just leaves me with the choice of paying about 3 times the cost of the TS-7 if I'm gonna buy the TS-9... My friend tells me that they bear a close resemblance in their sound, and that it's hard to distinguish a difference, so I'm a little torn there, too..
Quote by Eryth
The Bad Monkey sounds extremely digital and flat.
Well it doesn't sound digital because it's digital. Because it's an analog pedal. The TS7 is a decent pedal at a bargain price.
Quote by fly135
Well it doesn't sound digital because it's digital. Because it's an analog pedal. The TS7 is a decent pedal at a bargain price.

Define decent. Is it alot worse than the TS-9? Because if so it might be worth paying a little extra cash to be completely satisfied..
The TS-9 does have an awesome sound, I've used one for about 4 years and they definately earn the right to be called one of the best. However, recently I've been experiencing problem with mine not turning on/off properly and long story short I need to replace the switch inside the pedal, I've heard that this problem isn't uncommon but having said that I bought my pedal used and it was pretty old when I bought it so it may just be an age issue.
Personally I'm currently looking at other overdrive pedal options and am loving the sound of the Blackstar HT-Drive, I think it's about the same price as a TS-9.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by SurfinWithSatch

Personally I'm currently looking at other overdrive pedal options and am loving the sound of the Blackstar HT-Drive, I think it's about the same price as a TS-9.

Im not worried about the pedal breaking or if it'll stop working, so thats no problem for me!
Yeah, the Blackstar HT-Drive costs about 20-ish dollars more than the TS-9 (im not from the US though, so this a rough estimate)
Bad monkey sounds fine to me

The tone of the clipping doesn't matter, it's getting used as an EQ+boost.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Skippzore
Yeah, the Blackstar HT-Drive costs about 20-ish dollars more than the TS-9 (im not from the US though, so this a rough estimate)

Neither am I. 20 USD isn't much more generally, in UK I think that's only about £13 more or so. Like I said though the TS-9 is a great pedal anyway so I'm sure it'd certainly do the job you want it to.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by SurfinWithSatch
Neither am I. 20 USD isn't much more generally, in UK I think that's only about £13 more or so. Like I said though the TS-9 is a great pedal anyway so I'm sure it'd certainly do the job you want it to.

I know, it's not all that much :>
Yeah, thanks, I think I'll aim for that one then!
I love my TS-7. I modded it to TS808 and it sounds great. If all your doing is tightening your distortion its perfect.
Quote by fly135

Yeah, the Bad Monkey is indeed 100% analog, just like the vast majority of overdrive and distortion pedals.

In fact, it's a variation on the Tube Screamer circuit, like a lot of other overdrive pedals are (although not all).
Quote by guitarpatrick66
I love my TS-7. I modded it to TS808 and it sounds great. If all your doing is tightening your distortion its perfect.

Yeah, I realized my economy was being a bitch right now and started thinking of doing that instead..
Problem is, I have zero experience with soldering, and sending the pedal away for someone else to fix it might be too expensive, too, although I don't know what people charge for modding it.

Did you mod it yourself or did you have someone else do it?
Quote by CodeMonk
The TS-7 and TS-9 can both be modded to TS-808 specs.
Ask greeny23 about it. He mods them.

This.

The bad monkey and all the TS pedals are close to identical but withslight changes.

They can all be modded easily to become the same pedal.
mojostompboxes.com
Is the ts 808 really that much better than the ts7?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
^I don't know. I've never had a TS808 or TS9. I have an MXR M66 Classic Overdrive and a Jeckyll & Hyde. The J&H has a tubescreamer side but I don't know how close it is to an actual TS. I know it sounds different than my TS7 or my MXR. The J&H has a cleaner warmer tone when the gain is turned down.

I think the key is to find a TS like tone you like in combination with your amp, more than any one being all that much better.
I just put the TS7 side by side with a Fulltone OCD and compared them. The TS7 had more of a mid boost, and the OCD had a bit more clarity. No doubt the OCD was the better pedal but the difference wasn't enough for me to really tell without a direct comparison. They are very simlar sounding pedals.

If the mod makes much of a difference then it's a killer deal. I'm probably going to mod my TS7 within the next week.
Quote by kutless999
Is the ts 808 really that much better than the ts7?

To me it was definitly worth the effort. Its really easy to do, and it was my first pedal modding project so the experience was worth it. Its really a rip to pay someone else to do it.
I'd just go for the TS7. I got one, and really, as a boost, it's just not worth it to get anything more expensive - they will pretty much all sound identical. I got my TS7 on ebay for $25. Out of all the gear I have bought, that was a $25 I'm actually very satisfied with spending. Great pedal for the price. Probably the reason they were discontinued, because they're just so close to the TS9 sonically.

I think the only thing probably is the TS9 probably has a better buffer. Not sure, but I'm just guessing.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Ibanez TS808. Best OD ever!
To buy: