Hi, i'm just starting to learn guitar on my own when i realized i don't know whether I should play lefty or righty? I do everything lefty(Baseball, writing, shooting), but when i picked up my cousins guitar hero guitar, i felt better playing it righty. Now, i borrowed his righty squirer and I've been playing some intros to easy songs for about a month. Now that i'm ready to get a guitar, i have an offer to buy a used squirer stratocaster for $60. I don't know if i should buy it, restring it lefty and play it for a month to see if i like it better or leave it and get the righty guitar (Ibanez Art100) I wanted.
Personal preference. I know some lefties that play right handed, and they actually prefer it because their dominant hand is doing the fretting.
Really what it comes down to is which hand has better rhythm, which is why rightys have a hard time playing lefty guitar and visa versa. Whichever hand keeps better time should probably be your picking hand because fretting is a learned skill anyway but your body probably already has a rhythmically dominant hand.
Play right-handed, it will get annoying not being able to play other people's guitars.
AMERICA
AMERICA
AMERICA
Quote by rockgodman
Really what it comes down to is which hand has better rhythm, which is why rightys have a hard time playing lefty guitar and visa versa. Whichever hand keeps better time should probably be your picking hand because fretting is a learned skill anyway but your body probably already has a rhythmically dominant hand.

You need to same timing in your fretting hand as you do in your picking hand.. Look at any guitar solo, your essentially moving your fretting hand in time with your picking hand.. Playing guitar is all about synchronization between your two hands.

You can learn rhythm and train your hands the same way you need to train your fretting hand. I am a lefty at absolutely everything I do but I just happened to be given a right-handed guitar as my first.. That's how my hands learned and that's how they play to this day.

That being said I am sure if I put in the same amount of time on a lefty guitar I would learn how to play it just as well.

If I were you TS and I was starting from a clean slate I would get a righty regardless so gear is easier to find and you can actually play the majority of other peoples guitars.
Quote by blake1221
Personal preference. I know some lefties that play right handed, and they actually prefer it because their dominant hand is doing the fretting.

This

Im a lefty and I feel really comfortable playing right handed, also getting a good guitar for a lefty can be difficult.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
Quote by smb
right right right

unless you like having very very limited choice of guitars

This.

This girl in my English class is a lefty, but was taught right handed.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
I was the same since i'm lefty at almost all things I do, but play right handed because it's much more convenient and you'll be much comfortable at doing bends and vibrato with your dominant hand.
Meh.
Quote by Gibson06
Play right-handed, it will get annoying not being able to play other people's guitars.
This. Also, I believe lefties are harder to find and are more expensive in general.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: A bunch of forced listening by my composition teacher... some great stuff by Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Schubert, Liszt...

GTA V! ... the 120th game of the franchise.
God, I wish I had learned righty. It's such a pain in the ass having to play lefty. You can't find any guitars, and the ones you do find are usually more expensive than the same guitar righty
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by RU Experienced?
Left handed guitars look stupid.

Obviously this should convince you.. if nothing else.
"Because hoes don't trust anyone.. especially me."
Quote by Gibson06

This.
FORZA CATANIA
Quote by RU Experienced?

I agree.

Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
I'm a lefty and I play right handed. In the long run I think it has alot more benefits
Quote by RU Experienced?

I actually think they look better.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Play whichever one feels more comfortable. If you're not comfortable playing, you're not gonna have fun with it.
Some people just wanna watch the world burn. Wanna join me when I take my turn to pour the gas, light the match, see your world flip upside down and drop until it's inside out?
Quote by Sewn Up
Play whichever one feels more comfortable. If you're not comfortable playing, you're not gonna have fun with it.

Well, if you are just starting out, both ways will be uncomfortable. So being a lefty, I just chose the one with more benefits then worked from there. Now it feels totally natural playing right handed and I couldn't even start to play a left handed guitar.
Quote by Lost Dog
I'm a lefty and I play right handed. In the long run I think it has alot more benefits

Yea same with me. My dominant hand is doing the fretting and I dont have to spend more money on a left handed guitar. Lefites always have a disadvantage we are forced to give in to what the right handed people want because it is more convenient. we have no room to be ourselves. We live in a lefty-ist nation, my friend
I'm a lefty and learned right.
Learn lefty everyone will see left handed guitar and auto assume you're amazing.
Learn right and you have all the obvious benefits.
I'm a lefty that plays lefty. When I first picked up a guitar I naturally held it in the left handed position even though I didn't know at that age that it was important, which is why it sounded bad so gave up, eventually later learning the difference and bought a lefty bass. I just didn't see the point in being disadvantaged from the beginning and having to play the more awkward way for me, so just do what's more comfortable for you.

Having said that, I honestly don't mind the drawbacks. I've been able to find all the right guitars and basses for me although it was much harder to find exactly what I wanted especially my 6 string bass. But actually, from searching harder I found a great deal and gotr it half price
I've also spent quite a lot of time on right handed basses and guitars when no lefties are available and am quite adept at playing upside down, I've even worked on projects just sticking to playing upside down, so I manage to get around it and it has helped me visual and learn the notes on the fretboard better.

But I suppose if it's more comfortable to play right handed, do that unless you want to be automatically compared to Jimi Hendrix, Paul McCartney, Kurt Cobain, 3 of the most influential people in modern music
Spin round carousel
When your horse isn't screwed in

I II III VI:1 VI:2
Last edited by mullet1337 at Jul 8, 2011,
Quote by WCPhils
I actually think they look better.

Well that's your opinion, and it's wrong.