I'm still confused on this topic...
What woods are cheaper and lower quality and which are more expensive and better quality?
Bass gear:
-Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
-Fender Rumble 15 Amp

Guitar Gear:
-Agile AL-2000
-Boss Tu-3 Tuner -> Joyo Vintage Overdrive -> Joyo Vintage Ultimate Overdrive -> Ernie Ball MVP -> TC Nova Repeater

There isn't a "best" or "worst" tone wood, there are only different woods. There's even a fair bit of variation between different pieces of wood of the same type. Some woods like agathis are inexpensive and locally available to the manufacturer, so they make more appearances on cheaper instruments. Some woods are rare, or not as sustainable, more expensive, etc and will only be found on more expensive instruments. And you can have cheap and expensive kinds of the same wood. You can have an all maple Squier body made of a couple of pieces of inferior cuts of maple, and conversely you can have a Ritter made from one solid block of flamed maple worth more than your car.

TL;DR: there's no "best" or "worst" wood, and no particular type of wood is better then another, they're just different. You have to take it on a case-by-case basis.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Jul 8, 2011,
Word dog it's all opinion. But keep in mind just because it's a cheaper wood doesn't mean it's necessarily a bad wood. Like how a lot of low end basses use a Basswood, but you look at the nearly $2000 Musicman Bongo and see it's also Basswood. It's all on the quality of the cut and the opinion of player
The more expensive woods are often expensive because they are beautifully figured, such as flame/curly/burl maples; Claro walnut, bubinga, etc. They are used mainly for tops rather than as a solid piece for the whole body. As others have said, "best" is an almost entirely subjective term. As far as tonewoods go, it depends on what tone you are going for, as well as what the rest of the bass is made of.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
also keep in mind that the price of wood is going to be effected by a lot of other things besides tonal quality: looks, rareity, demand, etc.

also, take a wood like mahogany, you will never see flamed mahogany or any real figuring on it (as far as I know, I personally have never heard of it) but that doesn't mean that the wood in your epi g-310 is the same as in your gibson custom shop SG.

and while I personally love ash, mahognay sounds way better in an SG (mahogany being essentially the tonal opposite of ash).

now, why are you asking about wood? are you looking to build a bass? just doing some research before a bass purchase? Either way, check warmoth.com. they have a list of popular tone woods and their tonal attributes. Also I would try to really understand how EQing works if I were in your shoes. play with the knobs on your amp until you get a really solid understanding of what 'mids', 'bass', and 'treble' really are. then use that knowledge to make a decision on the kind of wood to use.
no sir away a papaya war is on
There's a lot more difference in bass amps than the wood used in making basses.
One of our intrepid bass builders needs to do a "How many varieties of exotic woods can I pack into a single bass" project and let us know how it turns out.

That would be an interesting thing to see and hear.
nutter is the only guy I can think of building basses. I want to eventually, but exotic wood isn't really my thing.
no sir away a papaya war is on
I'm thinking something like a ten-piece neck, a fifteen-piece body and a mosaic top; an ebony fretboard with who knows what kind of inlays, etc.

Just to see if it could be done and if the thing would sound good. I wouldn't want to pay for it, though. And if some tree hugger ever saw it, he'd probably put a murder contract out on the luthier.

Tree huggers are like that, you know.
Quote by the_perdestrian
nutter is the only guy I can think of building basses. I want to eventually, but exotic wood isn't really my thing.

Doesnt Dark Mass do bass builds too?
pinga
Quote by FatalGear41
And if some tree hugger ever saw it, he'd probably put a murder contract out on the luthier.

Tree huggers are like that, you know.

They'd throw a bucket of sap on you. Timber is murder.

Quote by Cb4rabid
Doesnt Dark Mass do bass builds too?

They're quite obviously the same person.
Last edited by Spaz91 at Jul 8, 2011,
im currently building a bass out of one solid piece of black walnut. the only joining piece is the black cherry fingerboard. i like walnut because its fairly dense and pretty heavy, easy to work with and is the darkest wood native to north america.
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Quote by bassman10101
im currently building a bass out of one solid piece of black walnut. the only joining piece is the black cherry fingerboard. i like walnut because its fairly dense and pretty heavy, easy to work with and is the darkest wood native to north america.

You should start a build thread and post pictures of it's progress. I'm intrigued because I'm a walnut ***** lol even though right now I am (wal)nut-less
the "best" and "worst" is really subjective, I learned this simple rule through many discussions and debates here. Trust me you have to find out what works for you.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.