Page 1 of 4
Hey guys just me! I was opening this thread so you can see the progress of my hybrid Strat coming to life! If you don't know what It'l look like, go to the thread intitled "Hybrid Frankenstrat???!!!" Without further a do, here is my progress so far.

day 1:

Got Whammy bar for my fender tremolo system and new strings. Also ordered a GFS VEH pickup for the bridge. Then I ordered a black faceplate that has one humbucker slot. They should arrive soon.

Disasembbled the STARCASTER by Fender and stripped it down to the essetial parts, the 500k volume pot and the wires going to the ground and output jack. Here are some photos of me and my Grandpa sanding and putting paint remover on the odd finish on this guitar. Its kinda like plastic, but its coming off fine!

A picture of the neck I'm using

And another picture of my Grandpa scrapping off some of the paint

We are letting the paint killer dry and I will take more pictures once the paint is off. This has taken over an hour, and we havn't even started the sides or back XD.

I'll try to keep you updated!

P.S IGNORE THE DATE ON THE CAMERA!
Quote by mcraddict81592
If you need to kill a man with a 9v adapter? I say strangulate. Or swing the heavy end around and aim for the temple, all depends on your style.

FrankenBee Build
Last edited by Jarrodthebobo at Jul 8, 2011,
^ here are so updated photos, we are cracking into it XD. anyway to get this off faster?

This is a pain...
Quote by mcraddict81592
If you need to kill a man with a 9v adapter? I say strangulate. Or swing the heavy end around and aim for the temple, all depends on your style.

FrankenBee Build
I used a powerful sander when I repainted mine. I did it in a closed garage though...... I never thought about it settling across the room. It was all over the car when i was done hahahaaa
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
Quote by bluekirby7
I used a powerful sander when I repainted mine. I did it in a closed garage though...... I never thought about it settling across the room. It was all over the car when i was done hahahaaa

I'm using a power sander to . but its taking forever. I'm doing it in my workshop though XD. So no dust on my parents cars XD
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
isnt your first layer going to be black? i hope that old paint was bad and chipped up, otherwise you already had your base color

and theres no fun way to get through it. i have done 2 now by HAND!

the first was in a dorm building out in the hallway. when i was done there was dust up the wholeee hallway lol
Last edited by xadioriderx at Jul 8, 2011,
Quote by xadioriderx
isnt your first layer going to be black? i hope that old paint was bad and chipped up, otherwise you already had your base color

and theres no fun way to get through it. i have done 2 now by HAND!

the first was in a dorm building out in the hallway. when i was done there was dust up the wholeee hallway lol

You are oviousley jesus my friend .

The old paint was kinda crappy looking, it had super gay sparkles embedded in it and it was an off black, kinda like midnight midnight midnight blue. That and It looksed like plastic, which was a GIANT turnoff for me. Hopefully after putting more chemicals on it, and I've let it dry for an hour now, itll be easier to strip off. But I still have the back and sides How will I get the sides anyways?
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Veeeery carefully.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
FINALLY PAINT IS COMING OFF!wOOOHOOOO!
More pics Broskis.

Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
More picz

2 minutes after that last picture we got most of the paint off. There is just some on the slant left!

Also anyone willing to buy the left over parts?

a white fender HSS pickguard, 2 tone pots 500k, 5 way switch, Fender humbucker, Fender middle and neck singlecoils.

Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Finsished Front!

Finsished Back! (not going to sand it down to the wood, as i can paint over this pretty well)

And finished sides! (once again not sanding down to the wood)

NEXT STEP PAINTING WHOOOOOOO! Will probably lay down the black and white coats tommarow, yellow, another day . Wish me luck! Can't wait for my items to get here!
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Does anyone know if I can use something other thank laquer? I know I can't use enemel and I can't find yellow laquer. Help?
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Quote by Jarrodthebobo

Also anyone willing to buy the left over parts?

a white fender HSS pickguard, 2 tone pots 500k, 5 way switch, Fender humbucker, Fender middle and neck singlecoils.

I've got a strat style body with no electrics. It's on the list of things to do, but I haven't chosen anything for it. I'll need to check if it has room for the hummie. How much were you hoping to get for the parts?
Quote by RebuildIt
I've got a strat style body with no electrics. It's on the list of things to do, but I haven't chosen anything for it. I'll need to check if it has room for the hummie. How much were you hoping to get for the parts?

I honestly don't care XD. Those are just left over parts I wont be using. REmeber, You'd be gettign everything BUT a volume pot, I needed that XD. They already have wiring on them incase you need some. Name a price, if its decent, they are yours XD. Just dont say 5 dollars please XD
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Quote by CrazyPigeon
If you're respraying it, you really didn't need to strip down to the wood. In fact, you've made a lot more work for yourself.

I know I know. I wanted to strip down the wood in the front so there would be less paint=less build up of layers. But on the back and sides I wasn't to worried about it so I just sanded it until it was a flat finish. I'm going to try and paint it today.
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build

First coat of black done. Saddly no advance auto parts in my state even carry dupicolor yellow laquer, not even in their warehouse. I can't find ANY yellow laquer, its like it doesn't exist, and I'm not buying online, prices AND shipping is friken crazy.

Gonna check Lowes today, HomeDepot has Red laquer, which I can't get yellow, I'll just make a hybrid red frankenstrat, with the black pickguard. Anyone else know where I can look? I've hit a brick wall.
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Last edited by Jarrodthebobo at Jul 27, 2011,
Quote by xadioriderx
imo you can spend 6 bucks on a color you dont want, or like 3 bucks more to ship the color you want to you...

*cough cough 7 bucks shipping)*

I just found Krylon makes a paint called "SparVar" Which is laquer which comes in my color! I can order it off of amazon for 7.27, no shipping! But we are still checking lowes...just in case....and maybe some more auto places.
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Try calling the paint department and asking. That way you don't have to pay money for gas traveling to and from, which will ultimately equate to the shipping you would have paid online

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Quote by Shinozoku
Try calling the paint department and asking. That way you don't have to pay money for gas traveling to and from, which will ultimately equate to the shipping you would have paid online

I did and they said they didn't have any in their warehouse either....This sucks as I will probably HAVE to order online, which I would rather pickup in person...
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
But you said you were checking Lowes O.o Did you call Lowes?

Stupid name.

Quote by Shinozoku
But you said you were checking Lowes O.o Did you call Lowes?

No I havn't yet, my dad went when i wasnt looking, lol, so hes looking right now xD
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Ahh, gotcha Tally ho, then!

Stupid name.

Quote by Shinozoku
Ahh, gotcha Tally ho, then!

He came home, he actually went to target XD. We may go tonight. Although I STILL can't find any good Yellow Lacquer on any site...Can someone please help me out here?
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Quote by xadioriderx
i gave you a link to the stuff i used

I
know, no stores around here ahve it thoug
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Went to lowes, and they didn't have anything. Also checked walmart, also a no go. I'm gonna have to have advance auto parts order in for the paint....This is a pain....why is paint so hard to get? Finished black paint today, letting it dry overnight, then gonna tape it up and spray it white. Wish me luck!
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Quote by xadioriderx
the link i gave you is to order it online! lol

It won't let me order it. I clicked that link and when I add it to cart it tells me its non shipable to house. But I can order it to the place.

ALSO I THINK I FOUND A SOLUTION! I was looking some stuff up and supossively, you can put ENEMEL on top of LACQUER but not LACQUER on top of ENEMEL! Can someone tell me if this is true! If it is I am so happy, because the color I want is cheap to :
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Quote by fenderfreak100
do you have a sherman williams near?

Yes but they dont have ANY lacquer...At least when I checked.

Also I can do a clear coat of Enemell XD
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Quote by Jarrodthebobo
Yes but they dont have ANY lacquer...At least when I checked.

Also I can do a clear coat of Enemell XD

i did enamel on my build
they can mix any paint for you
and put it in a spray can
You were complaining of it taking you an HOUR to sand a strat body?
You were making good progress I think.
I sanded through 5 layers of paint on an Explorer shaped guitar to get to the original paint job,
Talk about time consuming.
Here is the guitar. Also, is this the kind of yellow you are looking for?

Quote by nuclear-guru
You were complaining of it taking you an HOUR to sand a strat body?
You were making good progress I think.
I sanded through 5 layers of paint on an Explorer shaped guitar to get to the original paint job,
Talk about time consuming.
Here is the guitar. Also, is this the kind of yellow you are looking for?

no it took an HOUR to start to break into the wood, took 5 hours to do EVERYTHING. And yes, that is the yellow I'm looking for, nice and Smexy.

AND I didn't know sherman makes you custom paint, thatll really help me! Thanks!
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Quote by Jarrodthebobo
no it took an HOUR to start to break into the wood, took 5 hours to do EVERYTHING. And yes, that is the yellow I'm looking for, nice and Smexy.

AND I didn't know sherman makes you custom paint, thatll really help me! Thanks!

no probs jarrod
Quote by fenderfreak100
no probs jarrod

So do I just go in and say "Can I have yellow lacquer?". Cause my dad thinks they don't do that, custom coloring that is.
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Taped up the GEETAR. Take a looksie.

Painting it white will be in next post!
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Page 1 of 4