I have an ESP LTD EC-1000 (EMG 81/60 combo). Its only six months old and I bought it new from guitar center. (Lets get the 'ha ha that was your first mistake' joke out of the way)

ANYWAY

Starting 2 months ago the neck pickup started going out (i've never had a problem with the bridge pickup). Sometimes the sound will be cut and it just wont work, other times the sound crackles, and sometimes the volume is barely audible. Sometimes I'll smack the pickup with the palm of my hand, and while this may not be a smart strategy, it sometimes works.

I was wondering if this is a fix I can personally take care of, or if I have to get it professionally repaired. Getting it repaired by a tech is not a huge issue, I bought the repair plan from GC when I bought the guitar, so the repair will be free. However, I do not want to be without a guitar for a few weeks if I can just fix it myself.

For some side information. The pickup selector switch has come loose in the past, it cut all the sound until I tightened it. Both the volume controls have become loose, if I don't tighten them they don't work. I don't know if its relevant, but I thought it worth mentioning.
i had that problem with my Gibson sg, It might be the same problem. mine was with the jack input, when you switch pickup the cable has to touch one of the two switches, i bended the one a little bit and that did the magic,

Hope it helps.
have you tried changing the batteries?
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by Dempsey68
have you tried changing the batteries?

Changed with a fresh battery a few weeks ago, I tested it and its not an issue. I can switch between the bridge and neck pickup, the bridge pickup is fine its always the neck pickup that gives me problems.
Quote by TheyCallMeRune
i had that problem with my Gibson sg, It might be the same problem. mine was with the jack input, when you switch pickup the cable has to touch one of the two switches, i bended the one a little bit and that did the magic,

Hope it helps.

How do I got about doing this?
Have you thought it could be the wiring? Pickups themselves very rarely fail. Seeing that your bridge pickup works I'd say the problem lies with the pickup selector.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Quote by sammo_boi
Have you thought it could be the wiring? Pickups themselves very rarely fail. Seeing that your bridge pickup works I'd say the problem lies with the pickup selector.

That's what I'm trying to get at. I'm seeing if I can make a minor repair myself. I don't know anything about the wiring in guitars, if the repair is simple and mostly screw-up proof ill try it, otherwise im sending it out to get fixed. Id prefer to avoid the latter.
if you bought the player warranty from GC< theyll just give you a new one I beleive. The did when my epi's neck bowed.
Well have you had a look inside? We can't just guess
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Quote by sammo_boi
Well have you had a look inside? We can't just guess

Still what I'm getting at. If I don't know anything about wiring, and I open it up, I'm just going to tell you there are a lot of wires. While the problems could be infinite i'm sure its limited to either something I could be told how to fix using simple household tools, or its something that needs to sent away so I don't set it on fire, or something like that.

That's pretty much the gist of this article, I think we can all safely assume its an electrical problem. Like I said I can send it out, but I will be without it for who knows how long. If I could open it up and describe what I saw I would have been more descriptive in the first place, but I don't know what i'm looking for.
i had a similar problem with my ec-1000 after it was shipped with almost no packing material.

it's probably the toggle switch being F'D up. try replacing that
Quote by Duv
And smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.

Quote by guitarxo
I hope you get raped by a bayonet

Quote by beckyjc
Roland Cube / Vox Valvetronix / Peavey Vypyr / Hitler > Line 6 Spider.
You can check inside and see if any wires are loose or the joints are dodgy. Anyone can do that. If you find a problem you can see, then we can help. If you can't see anything that looks wrong, you'll have to take it to someone. If you're after something where you can just say a magic word and it fixes itself it's not gonna happen
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator