I'm a lefty guitarist looking for guitar fit for playing rock and metal music. It's pretty tough finding a wide variety of lefty guitars, but I came up with this on Musiciansfriend.com. I've only been playing for a little more than a year; for starters i picked up this shitty no name brand (SX) and i played that for awhile. Now I wanna step it up with an upgrade.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-rg120-left-handed-electric-guitar/581830000001000

This model is a quite a bit cheaper than the next one. Not sure if the 200$ difference is worth it.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-rg5ex1-left-handed-electric-guitar/581831000847000

Not sure what the price difference means, what kind of difference in quality i would be getting.

Also, if you guys have any suggestions for other guitars, please feel free, as I have no idea what the hell I'm doing.
The main reason for the price difference is the tremolo- the cheaper one is a NON-locking trem and the 2nd guitar is locking (studs at the nut). The 2nd guitar also has an additional middle single-coil pickup for added versatility AND a better wood type (though that is down to opinion).

Plus, it looks cooler. I'd invest in that more expensive model
The second guitar has a better tremolo bar but I've read about how much of a nightmare the Edge III can be. I'm not much of an Ibanez guy so I would say either get the second one of save up more for a better model.
Quote by Chimara
The second guitar has a better tremolo bar but I've read about how much of a nightmare the Edge III can be. I'm not much of an Ibanez guy so I would say either get the second one of save up more for a better model.

There is a lot of bad press about it because the knife edges are harder to see and the baseplate is at an unusual angle (most are flat), therefore making it harder to get your tremolo perfectly set up. Once it is set up correctly it'll function just as well as most other mid-range trems
*WARNING - THIS IS A LONG-WINDED RESPONSE*

I actually own the RG5EX1L (there is a pic of it on my UG profile - albeit a shitty one), and I am also a lefty (sucks finding decent guitars, I know the pain).

Anyway, the RG5 is a good one. Pretty versatile on the tone front, I was surprised that the stock Infinity pickups actually sound good, though if you don't like them you can always swap them out with pups you prefer more. This guitar can definitely handle metal tones and your standard rock/blues tones.

The neck pup has a nice, deep baritone sound, though it is not as warm as most neck pups. Good for bluesy leads, even good for jazzy stuff.

The bridge pup is good for your standard riffage (think Master of Puppets). Muted notes and power chords produce a nice chug.

I tend to either just use the bridge or neck pup, I played around with the other three pup combos, but I don't use them with any regularity, so I can't really comment on them.

The neck is a bolt-on, extremely playable, very thin. I've been playing my Gibson and Epi SG's for so long I was a little shocked when I first played the RG5. Playing lead/solos is much easier and more fluid on the Ibanez.

That's the good stuff. Here is the potentially bad stuff:

I don't know if you have any experience with locking tremolos or not, but when I got this guitar, I didn't. And they are a ****ing hassle, to say the least. You're either going to be going to your local music store every time you want to change strings, or you're going to have to learn to do some shit yourself.

One thing, if you like to play songs in alternate tunings (going from standard to drop D, etc.) with this guitar, forget about it. Once the guitar is set up for a specific tuning and the locking nut clamps are in place, that's it. No playing a Megadeth song, and then wanting to go drop D to play something else. You have to pick whatever tuning you prefer, have it set up for it, and that's it. It is a one trick pony in that area.

Personally, I wasn't using the trem at all, it was more of a gimmick for me (hey Ma, listen! A Dive Bomb!) so I bought a Tremol-No (locks the bridge so it is like a fixed bridge guitar) but I won't be installing it until next week, so I can't comment on that yet.

If you are not interested in trems or do not plan on using them regularly, don't be an idiot like me and buy this or any other locking trem guitar. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I have it and it is a good guitar for the price, but there was a period of "Shit, why did I buy this ****ing guitar?" before I said screw it and decided to stop being lazy and learn how to set up the trem system myself.

Not sure what your budget is, but if you are not interested in trems, check some of these out:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/schecter-guitar-research-omen-6-left-handed-electric-guitar/518182000001000

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/schecter-guitar-research-c-1-hellraiser-left-handed-electric-guitar/482553000127000

If you have any other questions about the RG5, feel free to ask and I will answer them if I can. Good luck, fellow lefty.
Quote by neversleeps84
I bought a Tremol-No (locks the bridge so it is like a fixed bridge guitar) but I won't be installing it until next week, so I can't comment on that yet.

Got one on my RG1527, fantastic if you dont use the trem or if you simply want to make changing strings a lot easier. Myself I like it because sometimes I'm simply not in the mood for using the trem, so I lock it (hardtail mode) and it's one less thing to worry about. Likewise if I want to play with the bar, I just unlock it again.
Quote by SilverSpurs616
Got one on my RG1527, fantastic if you dont use the trem or if you simply want to make changing strings a lot easier. Myself I like it because sometimes I'm simply not in the mood for using the trem, so I lock it (hardtail mode) and it's one less thing to worry about. Likewise if I want to play with the bar, I just unlock it again.

Good to hear, thanks dude. How does it make changing the strings easier, though? Won't I still have to clip the ball end of the strings off and clamp them in with the allen screws at the bridge?
Quote by neversleeps84
*WARNING - THIS IS A LONG-WINDED RESPONSE*

I actually own the RG5EX1L (there is a pic of it on my UG profile - albeit a shitty one), and I am also a lefty (sucks finding decent guitars, I know the pain).

Anyway, the RG5 is a good one. Pretty versatile on the tone front, I was surprised that the stock Infinity pickups actually sound good, though if you don't like them you can always swap them out with pups you prefer more. This guitar can definitely handle metal tones and your standard rock/blues tones.

The neck pup has a nice, deep baritone sound, though it is not as warm as most neck pups. Good for bluesy leads, even good for jazzy stuff.

The bridge pup is good for your standard riffage (think Master of Puppets). Muted notes and power chords produce a nice chug.

I tend to either just use the bridge or neck pup, I played around with the other three pup combos, but I don't use them with any regularity, so I can't really comment on them.

The neck is a bolt-on, extremely playable, very thin. I've been playing my Gibson and Epi SG's for so long I was a little shocked when I first played the RG5. Playing lead/solos is much easier and more fluid on the Ibanez.

That's the good stuff. Here is the potentially bad stuff:

I don't know if you have any experience with locking tremolos or not, but when I got this guitar, I didn't. And they are a ****ing hassle, to say the least. You're either going to be going to your local music store every time you want to change strings, or you're going to have to learn to do some shit yourself.

One thing, if you like to play songs in alternate tunings (going from standard to drop D, etc.) with this guitar, forget about it. Once the guitar is set up for a specific tuning and the locking nut clamps are in place, that's it. No playing a Megadeth song, and then wanting to go drop D to play something else. You have to pick whatever tuning you prefer, have it set up for it, and that's it. It is a one trick pony in that area.

Personally, I wasn't using the trem at all, it was more of a gimmick for me (hey Ma, listen! A Dive Bomb!) so I bought a Tremol-No (locks the bridge so it is like a fixed bridge guitar) but I won't be installing it until next week, so I can't comment on that yet.

If you are not interested in trems or do not plan on using them regularly, don't be an idiot like me and buy this or any other locking trem guitar. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I have it and it is a good guitar for the price, but there was a period of "Shit, why did I buy this ****ing guitar?" before I said screw it and decided to stop being lazy and learn how to set up the trem system myself.

Not sure what your budget is, but if you are not interested in trems, check some of these out:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/schecter-guitar-research-omen-6-left-handed-electric-guitar/518182000001000

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/schecter-guitar-research-c-1-hellraiser-left-handed-electric-guitar/482553000127000

If you have any other questions about the RG5, feel free to ask and I will answer them if I can. Good luck, fellow lefty.

Okay, if what you say is true, then i definitely do NOT want the RG5EX1L, because i want to be able to change the tuning of the guitar. I took a look at that first Schecter Omen 6, and I think that's the best bet for me right now. Still going to look into more guitars and research more before I make my decision. Thanks a lot!
It might be out of your price range a little but look into Schecter guitars. They make lefties an there really good for alot of tones.
I am currently saving for a Schecter (C-1 Hellraiser), they are quite nice to us lefties, almost everything they sell is optionally lefty. As far as Ibanez guitars go, I would want a RG1570, but they stopped making those lefty. Now they sell the RG1550ML which is basically the same thing, but a maple fretboard, and I like rosewood a lot more. Higher level Ibanez lefties need better selection.
Out of the two, I would definitely recommend the RG5EX1 over the RG120. The RG5 has pretty decent basswood instead of the god awful agathis in the RG120, and it has a double locking trem, even if it isn't that great, it's still a huge improvement from the FAT10 or whatever is on the RG120.

However, if you want to change tunings on a regular basis, you definitely need a fixed bridge guitar. The alternative is to have multiple guitars with trems.

Lastly, I'm not terribly familiar with what Ibanez guitars are left handed, but chances are good you can score some pretty good old Ibanez guitars on ebay. Possibly some old MIJ stuff.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by neversleeps84
Good to hear, thanks dude. How does it make changing the strings easier, though? Won't I still have to clip the ball end of the strings off and clamp them in with the allen screws at the bridge?

Usually when you break a string on a tremolo guitar, all the other strings will go horribly out of tune. Same when you take a string of to change it. By using the tremol-no to put it in "hardtail mode" you can change strings one-by-one without all the others going out- saves a LOT of time and stress!
Quote by SilverSpurs616
Usually when you break a string on a tremolo guitar, all the other strings will go horribly out of tune. Same when you take a string of to change it. By using the tremol-no to put it in "hardtail mode" you can change strings one-by-one without all the others going out- saves a LOT of time and stress!

Gotcha, sounds like a good deal. Thanks again.
Quote by lathandien
okay i think i have decided on the omen 6 Schecter.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Omen-6-Left-Handed-Electric-Guitar-101764678-i1149926.gc#

apparently GC has a righty version of this guitar, so I'm gonna check that out (just to get a feel, even if i can't play it) before I make my decision final. thanks for the help guys!

Good choice, I own one. They are great guitars. The stock pickups are crap, so you will have to replace those. The guitar itself plays great though.