ok ive had this problem for a while now, but now its starting to piss me off......

along with constant tuning issues (ive lubricated nut and saddles so has to be those kluson tuners) my gibson flying V has almost no sustain, at most i can get a good 3 seconds of sustain out of the guitar on any frtted note. opens ring out about 9ish seconds.

my godin redline, and fender tele both sustain anyfretted note 6-9 seconds each and both have hard tail bridges.

do the ToM bridges not sustain as well as a hardtail? and how can i realistically mprove the sustain of my gibby?
how old are them strings?

and try to tighten everything down on the guitar to not rattle
fix any intonation and action problems and that tuning problem probably has something to do with it

other than that you probably just got a guitat with shitty sustain
Last edited by supersac at Jul 8, 2011,
i changed the strings 3 days ago, the guitar is perfectly intonated, and no loose/rattling parts.

im gonna try to put new tuners on it soon, but im afraid it just has bad sustain
Quote by Seanthesheep
i changed the strings 3 days ago, the guitar is perfectly intonated, and no loose/rattling parts.

im gonna try to put new tuners on it soon, but im afraid it just has bad sustain

thats a damn shame

oh well turn the gain up that should increase your sustain a bit
Try using a compressor (if your willing to spend a bit of money). It wont make a very big difference but it works.

If you don't like thick tones or the song doesn't call for it (not many do) it probably wouldn't justify spending that money. Just throwing something out there.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Lower the tailpiece down so it's touching the body. It'll stiffen the strings up a bit, but will increase sustain.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
doimg that already, the tail piece is dropped, high 4 strings are wrapped over the tail piece while the low 2 strings go through normally
Top wrapping has the same effect as raising the tailpiece. If you want to squeeze the absolute most sustain out of your guitar then don't do it.

Try lowering your pickups. The higher your pickups are the more the magnetic field pulls on the strings, lowering sustain. This is why raising pickups for more output isn't a good idea, it's better to get pickups that are high output anyway and then place them further away. Of course if you want low output anyway then lowering the stock pickups won't be an issue. Output doesn't effect tone anywhere nears as much as the effect of the magnetic field on the strings so it's best to keep your pickups low regardless.

Heavier string gauge will help on the wound strings, a lighter gauge will help on the thinner strings. A set of .10-.46 or .10-.52 for drop-tuning is the best pick for long sustain on a Gibson scale guitar.

Make sure your nut is clean and the strings are being put on and wrapped around the tuner peg cleanly. you'd be surprised how much a little bit of fluff or messy restringing can effect your sustain and tone.

Lastly work on your vibrato. That's the real key to good sustain. Good vibrato control is why Carlos Santana and BB King can keep a note ringing out for 14-ish seconds with no gain or compression at all.
ok, so right now im using an EMG set of 81 60 in the guitar, and ive always had best results with them as close to the strings as possibly but i will try backing them off i guess, and this guitar is also downtuned to D standard/ Drop C so i use a gauge thats 11-54
Quote by grohl1987
Lastly work on your vibrato. That's the real key to good sustain. Good vibrato control is why Carlos Santana and BB King can keep a note ringing out for 14-ish seconds with no gain or compression at all.

Actually, Santana (and, I believe, B.B. as well) both use quite a bit of gain to achieve their sustain. In Carlos' case, I'd say the elements of his sustain (ranked from least important to most important) are:

- Guitar / String / Nut, etc.
- Humbucking pickups
- Super high-gain amp

Of course, for him to get those endless notes, there's an additional trick that's essential. During sound check for each show, he cranks the amp up to performance volume, holds a specific note (like the high "G" in Europa), and walks around the stage. He's looking for the "sweet spot," where it feeds back enough to keep the note going, but not enough to "squeal." Then he marks that spot with tape, and goes there every time he needs that Santana "forever" note.

More info on Santana's tone here.
emg's should be as close as possible to the strings. they are actually extremely weak pickups with a powerful pre-amp attached to them. lowering them will just give you really weak sounds. given that they are actives, have you checked your battery?

also, don't wrap strings around a tune-o-matic bridge. this doesn't accomplish anything other than compromising the angle at which the bridge is pulled into its pins, potentially hurting your sustain.