Hey so I decided that instead of annoying people with all my questions I'd figure them out myself, and it's been good so far. And now that I've done that and started writing music it's turned out good, I'm trying to write faster and melodic metal, but the only thing I can write is hardcore kinda stuff which is cool but not fast enough and not enough Riffage happening, so I'm wondering how do people write riffs so quickly and make it all associate with the rest of the song so well? My favorite band is trivium and there basically my target to write music like them but I just can't manage to write even the most simple riffs let alone choruses and harmonys, solos aren't to hard but riffs all sound the same so how can I create my own riffs that don't sound like other bands? I know some scales and that helps to But I can't write metal with legit material, another way to ask this is how do make a theme to a song lyrically an have the guitar and drums go with it so well like trivium, for those of you that don't know trivium they've been said to somewhat like metallica but modern ( I don't know how but mettalica is also a favorite) I don't really know how to put my questions into words but i tried
Thanks
You say you don't want to sound like other bands and yet you keep bringing up Trivium. All I can say is keep writing. You can actually practice songwriting. And try to expand beyond your normal music tastes.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Basically my advice is to study every instrument in your favorite songs, and see how they interact with each other. Pick like 10 songs, and see what u like about each and why. Figure out what they were thinking when they wrote each part and how it all connects together. Its simple to write a few riffs, but to make a song takes a ton of time and practice. Also, try and be yourself. However, in my experience, the best way to become original is to try and copy someone else, but play the stuff the way thats simplest for u. For a LONG time I wanted to sound just like Yngwie (XD) and through that I got my own style, that sounds nothing like yngwie (Mainly cuz I got really into blues, and jazz while studying theory). Its best to have a plethora of influences, but each influence u should study in depth.
/thread
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG355OXM
Fender Mexican Deluxe Series Stratocaster
Fender Squire Bullet
Schecter Damien Elite 8
Yamaha F325 Acoustic

Amps
Peavey 5150 II Full stack
Peavey 2001 Studio Pro 112
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
You can actually practice songwriting.

Right. Sometimes you just have to write a bunch of crap before you strike gold. The best thing you can do is learn from your mistakes. Why does it all sound the same?

If you're trying to connect your pieces together, you need to introduce some themes. For example, I was just transcribing a simple Goldfinger song yesterday and found that most of the song had a I - IV progression. When the chorus came around, it changed to I - vi - V - IV | I - vi - V. The chorus made sure to include the IV - I cadence that was established so well throughout the rest of the piece, only changing to end the chorus with an authentic (V - I) cadence.

On the same note, I wrote a metal song a long time ago: the chorus was a repeating pull-off riff that finished with Bb5 - A5 on the last beat. For the transition from the verse back to the chorus, I paused then brought back the Bb5 - A5 right before jumping back into the pull-off riff.

Another song I wrote led into every chorus (and the interlude which was over the chorus backing) with a two-beat drum fill that was always the same. You've got to give your listeners some sort of signal.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Last edited by soviet_ska at Jul 8, 2011,
its really really tough and frustrating to pass this point in songwriting because you expect to write something that immitates your imagination of what it should sound like. You just have to keep writing random shit that you dont exactly appreciate, and eventually you will become more and more satisfied with how your initially "crappy" riffs turn out. Really all I can say. Riffs are pretty easy for me to dish out, solos and stuff are super hard because I want them to sound innovative, technical and seamless.
schecter hellraiser c-1 fr
GAS list...
Mesa roadster with 2/12 recto cab
PGM 301
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels
You need to focus on phrasing and the dynamic.

You should just set the goals higher. Write something beyond your current ability.

Use a lot of variation and transpose licks to the changed harmony.

You need to think of it as in the solo. There are some catchy and technical parts.

Or try to put many different elements in one riff.

Like sweeps, Octaves, muted notes, picked or strummend chords....chords plus extension.

If you try that you will have to organize them. and then change the tonality. that will sound as complex and harmonic like trivium....

Trivium does a lot of easy riffage. The piece might be heavy to play but the change is simple...

For me trivium had good riffage, 'like flies...' but more than that good melodies....

But challenge yourself. write more notes...you can always cut away.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IF YOU READ 'H' I MEAN 'B'

GERMAN H = AMERICAN B