Okay, so a few months ago, I got a Classic Player Jazzmaster. I finally broke the high E on it. So, I tried to change it, and in spite of the fact that I watched several videos on how to change strings on split-shaft tuners, and looking up numerous forum threads on it, I still can't get the damned thing to stay in. I thought I finally got it a few minutes ago, but then, POP, it's out again.

And what's really frustrating is the fact that everyone in the threads I looked at talks about them like they're the easiest tuners in the world!

I know I sound like a fucking noob, but I'm not, I've just never had a guitar with these vintage-style tuners before.

So, anyone have tips? I've tried several tips from various places, and it's not staying in. It's making me extremely frustrated, to the point that I just want to rip the things off and melt them down. Are there any drop-in replacements for vintage-style Fender tuners? Because really, I'm not willing to put up with this kind of frustration.
That's how every string should be strung, unfortunately so many people don't do it.
1966 Stella Harmony Acoustic
Epiphone Dot Studio
Fender Starcaster (Made by 5 year olds in China)
THE Epiphone Mandolin
Dean 7 String (Totally Korean)
Yamaha C45m
Mitchell 12 MD100S

More Strings=More Range=More BadAssery
It's not that kind of tuner. It's the vintage-style Fender kind, the kind with the split shafts and the hole on the top you put the string through. You're supposed to put the string into the hole on top, kink it, and then wind, but I can't get it to stay, and that method won't work on that kind of tuner, since you use a completely different method than the kind of tuners with the holes in the middle.

EDIT: This is what I'm talking about:

They're like bass tuners, only they're guitar tuners.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Jul 8, 2011,
You need to cut the string long enough so you can put it down into the hole. See where the shaft splits? Look down inside and you'll see a hole - the string needs to go down inside there. 1/2" to 3/4" should do it, then wind the way you already have it. It's locked. No need to wrap as the pictorial shows above.

By the way, no need to do that with the 3 heavier strings. Those strings never slip - I only do that on the G, B and e.
Run the string about and inch in front of the peg with the string taught and push it through. Kink the string TOWARD the inside of the headstock so it creates a v. It's how I string and I have never had a problem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkj8p4Z3Rjg
Watch that vid. It's how I learned.
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Quote by KG6_Steven
You need to cut the string long enough so you can put it down into the hole. See where the shaft splits? Look down inside and you'll see a hole - the string needs to go down inside there. 1/2" to 3/4" should do it, then wind the way you already have it. It's locked. No need to wrap as the pictorial shows above.

By the way, no need to do that with the 3 heavier strings. Those strings never slip - I only do that on the G, B and e.

Yeah, I know. That's what I've been doing. I know how to do it, but for some reason, the string won't stay in the hole.

Like I said, I got it to work for a little while, but then it started to lose tuning rapidly, and then it popped out.
How many winds are you getting? Your description is exactly what you need to be doing.

Make sure there is some slack in the string when you start, so you can get at least one or two 'controlled' winds (where you use both hands on the string).

As you should know, once the string goes in and you get a wind on, there is no difference from other tuning pegs..

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by DamagingExcess
Run the string about and inch in front of the peg with the string taught and push it through. Kink the string TOWARD the inside of the headstock so it creates a v. It's how I string and I have never had a problem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkj8p4Z3Rjg
Watch that vid. It's how I learned.

On the type of guitar used in the video, that is true. On the type of guitar TS is working on, that is false. See my earlier thread.
Quote by Holy Katana
Yeah, I know. That's what I've been doing. I know how to do it, but for some reason, the string won't stay in the hole.

Like I said, I got it to work for a little while, but then it started to lose tuning rapidly, and then it popped out.

Put it in the hole and bend it over, so that it comes out the side of one of the slits. Start winding as you hold it in place. If you don't guide it with one of your fingers, it will pop back out. Guide it as you tighten the tuner.
Yeah, I've been using my finger to hold it. Like I said, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Quote by jthm_guitarist
How many winds are you getting? Your description is exactly what you need to be doing.

Make sure there is some slack in the string when you start, so you can get at least one or two 'controlled' winds (where you use both hands on the string).

As you should know, once the string goes in and you get a wind on, there is no difference from other tuning pegs..

I'm getting two winds. I put my finger on it the whole time, since I'm scared to death of it popping out for like the sixth or seventh time. And even when I think I've got it, it always pops out in ten minutes or less. I thought I got it perfect last time, since it stayed in tune once I stretched it, but then slowly but surely it started to come undone, and then it popped out yet again.

And I almost have too much slack. Makes keeping it in the nut pretty difficult, really.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Put it in the hole and bend it over, so that it comes out the side of one of the slits. Start winding as you hold it in place. If you don't guide it with one of your fingers, it will pop back out. Guide it as you tighten the tuner.

This is really the only good way. Also, keep alot of tension on the string using your thumb to pin the string against the fretboard near the nut. Has always worked for me.
I need to get it set up for my preferred .010-.056 set anyway, so I might just take it to a tech tomorrow, but I really need to figure out what I'm doing wrong, since I honestly have no clue what it is.
Have you tried just just putting the string in the slit, not in the hole, and then just wrapping it like it was any normal modern tuner? I never put the stings in the hold on my bass, I just wrap them as if they were any modern style tuner.