I thinking of possibly buying an Epiphone Elitist off a guy for $675 shipped. Its got some dings and scratches, but nothing major in that department. Nothing I'd care too much about. But hes telling me that with alot of use the frets may need to be redone. This scares me as this instrument is only about 5 or 6 years old. Is that normal in that timeframe? How much would it cost to get the frets reworked? What all does that entail?
Shoot, I'd wait for one that doesn't need a re-fret for that price.

Better yet, watch out for a MIJ Epi Elite, used to be available to the local Japanese market only, but currently, widely available. It has the proper open book headstock ala Gibson.
This is an "Elite" MIJ model. They are same thing, just a trademark issue they had to change from elite to elitist in the name. As for the the headstock, don't really care.
Pretty sure thats only on the custom models. As im 100 percent certain this is an "Elite" model. Says it right on the back and it has the regular elitist headstock.

As for the re-fret, thats my question. How much is it?
Thats definitely a bit expensive for the problems you mentioned that come along with it. Ive had a guitar thats been in my family for nearly 40 years and it has never required any sort of re-fretting, nor does it have any dings or scratches. I would ask him how often it was used. If it got those problems from years of serious use, thats not as bad as him leaving it somewhere and it getting eroded.
Depending on your location, an "A" city (NY or SF or Boston) or a "C" city (KC or Seattle), the price varies, probably from $50 (guess) to $200. The dude must have gigged that heavily!

Also, here's a non-Elite model, also for the local Japanese market only:

Well, I went ahead and got the guitar for $525 shipped. Seemed too good to pass up considering the go for $800+shipping on ebay.

Also, he has a chip on the headstock, he thinks the previous owner filled it with epoxy, is this ok to leave in there or should I have a tech take a look at it?

I would have passed. They worn frets could possibly just need a leveling, but the chip filled with epoxy is too much.
Lowball the shit out of him. It's a ****ed up guitar. That epoxy filling is the stupidest shit Ive ever seen..

And If he told you the frets "might" need work they definitely need replacing.

Lowball or pass. personally I wouldnt buy this guitar.
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
reallly? Its just a small chip, smaller than a dime and some fret ware for 400 dollars less than usual price
I'd pass, that has been beat pretty bad, not that it will play bad. A re fret, if you can find someone good and in-expensive your looking at @$200+ and that chip would drop another $200+ off the price. So you are not really getting a deal over the normal $800 price tag.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Ok, wel, what if it just needs leveling? Would that cost more than 100? Already bought the guitar, didnt think fixing some frets,would be that much
Thats why you look around before you make an expensive purchase. a quick search and I found the exact same guitar on used.guitarcenter.com for $600 with no chips
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
Quote by pugachev
Ok, wel, what if it just needs leveling? Would that cost more than 100? Already bought the guitar, didnt think fixing some frets,would be that much

Yes it will mostlikely cost @$150, but it could be as low as $100. Just make sure you ask to see the luthier's work, before letting him have a go at it. Because if he takes too much off the frets, you'll need a refret any ways. You really should have reserched it out a little better, live and learn.

I saw on PawnStars last nite, Chumlie bought a fake Gibson Mandolin for $1500! At least you didn't make that mistake.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Searched evwrywhere, couldnt find anything less than 750+ whicn over my budget, the chip doesnt evem bother, its jst the frwts im worried about, guwss ill see in a few days