So we have a pet bunny and when you keep her in her cage for too long she gets angry and when you let her out she "pouts" and wants to just walk around the house and when she see's people when she's mad she will run away, bite, ect.

So I took her out of her cage because she was in there for a while and I'm sitting on tue couch with her trying to calm her down and my dads girlfriend takes her and was making jokes about her moodiness and she "pout" she does when she's mad so I take her back on the couch and my dad sits next to me while I'm holding her and he started moving her hands like she was boxing and he kept saying "pit em up bunny! Put em up!" then I move her away a little and he pushes his finger down on her head to make it look like she had mean eyebrows and he was saying "happy bunny...angry bunny" over and over and I kind of felt bad for the animal because she was being humiliated and I realized I wouldnt like it of people were doing that to me if I was in a bad mood.

So was this a mild form of abuse? It probably doesnt sound that bad from what I'm typing but if I truly felt sorry for the bunny the it had to be pretty bad.
Humiliation is predicated on self-awareness. Humiliation is really the degradation of the individual. If there is no sense of self or of the individual, humiliation is impossible. Now, it's not cool to intentionally piss off the rabbit for your amusement, but I don't think that the whole "happy bunny, angry bunny" gag is abuse.
Quote by SMED420

So I took her out of her cage because she was in there for a while and I'm sitting on tue couch with her trying to calm her down and my dads girlfriend takes her and was making jokes about her moodiness and she "pout" she does when she's mad so I take her back on the couch and my dad sits next to me while I'm holding her and he started moving her hands like she was boxing and he kept saying "pit em up bunny! Put em up!" then I move her away a little and he pushes his finger down on her head to make it look like she had mean eyebrows and he was saying "happy bunny...angry bunny" over and over and I kind of felt bad for the animal because she was being humiliated and I realized I wouldnt like it of people were doing that to me if I was in a bad mood.

Periods!!! Learn to use them.

If it makes you uncomfortable, then talk to him. ...I think thats what you were saying.
Animals don't understand humiliation. Abuse and mistreating - yes.

That was not abuse.
I wouldn't appreciate it, but I don't know if it's abuse based on the story. Pissing off animals isn't cool either, though.
I don't know if that was abuse but they were being dickheads for sure. I'd be pissed if someone did that to me but animals can't speak for themselves really.
If the Rabbit didn't like it, it would have done something about it. You will know if you push an animal beyond their comfort zone.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Elite
Squier Strat
Fender Acoustic
Line 6 POD XT-Live
Blackstar HT-1 Combo
I don't think animals would understand the concept of dignity and by extension humiliation.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
It's not abuse, but it's not cool for your dad to do that. He sounds like a bit of a fuck, to be honest.
Quote by Gigger
I don't know if that was abuse but they were being dickheads for sure. I'd be pissed if someone did that to me but animals can't speak for themselves really.

This.

The fact that animals can't really say "Stop it, you cunt!" makes humans think it's alright to do whatever they want with them.

It wasn't really abuse, but it was a dick move on their part.

AEDIT: Bunnies, I love Bunnies...
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Jul 9, 2011,
I think if the bunny didn't like it, it would've pushed your dad away. Of course, your bunny doesn't understand English or anything, so whatever your dad was doing probably didn't affect if much if she didn't act like she was annoyed. For all your bunny knows, your dad was making random, unintelligible noises while petting her head. At the same time though, I probably wouldn't do that to my chinchilla. Seems a bit mean, even though she wouldn't know any better and wouldn't be humiliated.
Quote by SMED420
So we have a pet bunny and when you keep her in her cage for too long she gets angry and when you let her out she "pouts" and wants to just walk around the house and when she see's people when she's mad she will run away, bite, ect.

So was this a mild form of abuse? It probably doesnt sound that bad from what I'm typing but if I truly felt sorry for the bunny the it had to be pretty bad.

you know the rules, pics or it didn't happen.
Quote by Geldin
Humiliation is predicated on self-awareness. Humiliation is really the degradation of the individual. If there is no sense of self or of the individual, humiliation is impossible. Now, it's not cool to intentionally piss off the rabbit for your amusement, but I don't think that the whole "happy bunny, angry bunny" gag is abuse.

+1
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

Bunnies, I love Bunnies...

Me too.
Quote by teachmeviolence
Headbang until your head becomes detached from the rest of your body, then throw it into the crowd while you play a killer guitar solo. Trust me, it would be totally br00tal.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
If you're going to kidnap an animal and keep them locked in your house you've got to take care of them properly. You need to provide way more stimulation than what most people do.

It's so sad, these poor animals that just want to run free outside being forced to live in your house and even worse in a cage.

And then schmucks like Cesar Millan helping people control them when they act out.

It's really sick.

I'm ashamed of us.
Quote by mizxou
If you're going to kidnap an animal and keep them locked in your house you've got to take care of them properly. You need to provide way more stimulation than what most people do.

It's so sad, these poor animals that just want to run free outside being forced to live in your house and even worse in a cage.

And then schmucks like Cesar Millan helping people control them when they act out.

It's really sick.

I'm ashamed of us.

Yeah, they love running outside for the first few days after they're born.

Then they get eaten.

Hooray for freedom!
Quote by metalh3ad88
Yeah, they love running outside for the first few days after they're born.

Then they get eaten.

Hooray for freedom!

OK granted maybe TS does provide enough stimulation for the bunny, I may have jumped to conclusions, but the fact remains that very many pets are unhappy and would much rather be eaten outside than live in your home.

The thing is most people aren't intentionally hurting their pets, they do sincerely love them, they just don't realize what they're doing.

Also people thinking that humans are the only animals aware that they are alive is totally wrong, animals/pets are way smarter than we as a society give them credit for.

I would like to see how you feel after you're forced to become a giants pet.
I have two chicken in my garden. The assholes poop all over it. They better lay down some tasty eggs or I'm gonna go om nom nom on them like I was a black guy.

(Hurr racist joke durr)
Dead bull with the life from the low
I'll be massive conquistador
Give me soul and show me the door
Metal heavy, soft at the core
Gimme toro, gimme some more

Steam: Mengsk
MAL
Quote by mizxou
I would like to see how you feel after you're forced to become a giants pet.

You mean a place to live without having to work or pay rent/bills/taxes while having someone make you food twice - three times a day, cleaning after your mess, giving you compliments and having to do absolutely nothing in return?
Yeah...sounds terrible.
austin 3:16
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
No offence to your Dad..but that wasn't humiliation, that was assholery.

As said before, it wasn't humiliation because the rabbit doesn't understand.
But it was assholery, probably to impress his girlfriend in a tooly way..
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
It's probably been said but I don't think animals understand humiliation like humans do.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by ali.guitarkid7
You mean a place to live without having to work or pay rent/bills/taxes while having someone make you food twice - three times a day, cleaning after your mess, giving you compliments and having to do absolutely nothing in return?
Yeah...sounds terrible.

Yyou would be happy to give up your freedom to have an easier, lazier life?

I'm very happy to do everything for myself in exchange for doing whatever I want
Quote by mizxou
Yyou would be happy to give up your freedom to have an easier, lazier life?

I'm very happy to do everything for myself in exchange for doing whatever I want

Animals may indeed be more aware than people credit them, but are you actually serious? I don't think animals value self-determination of their lives and freedom as humans may...

Animals want food and to an extent social interaction, both of which they get as pets, and a lot higher standard of living than they would in the wild.

In any case, in answer to your question, if it's a choice between living in the wild hunting my food and sleeping under trees, and being fed regularly and looked after then yes I would choose being a pet.

EDIT: Also "kidnap an animal" is complete bollocks, most pets are bred to be pets. We don't go into the wild, find the happiest family of animals we can and then storm in and steal their children, pulling them away kicking and screaming...
Last edited by MadClownDisease at Jul 9, 2011,
Factory farming is cruelty to animals. I think picking up your rabbit is fine.