Hi guys,

I'm a beginner guitarist and I've just recently developed the hardness in my fingertips that lets me do bar chords and such for extended periods of time. I was wondering if there's any way I could maintain that hardness and keep my finger tips in shape while I'm away for the summer and without a guitar. I'll be away for around a month. Any tips/suggestions?

Also, I'm hoping that finger movements and chords are the type of skill that can't really be forgotten in a month. Am I right about that? Or will I have to worry about getting rusty with my chords as well?

Thanks
I don't think you'll completely lose the ability to form chords but usually after a break it will take you a little bit of time to get back up to speed. Usually takes me about 30 minutes if its been a month or so.
A month? You'll be fine, I stopped playing for like 4 months once and only had to practice a bit to be the same level I was before..
You could also buy a sinsonido travel guitar, or a used martin backpacker. There are tons of travel guitars out there. Hell, you could buy a cheap electric at a garage sale if you have the space.
The best is always to practice with your guitar. If not you could build up strength and speed in your wrist.
Last edited by Metal-pro at Jul 10, 2011,