My guitar is a Washburn N2 http://www.washburn.com/electrics/nuno/n-2.html

It has a Licensed Floyd Rose and locks at the nut.

My question is does changing the tuning often damage the guitar? I know it probably makes the strings last less. Like, I'm still pretty much a beginner, but whenever I look up a tab for a song I want to learn and it's in a tuning different than standard I tend to leave it for later (case in point, Sweet Child O Mine, tuned 1/2 down). Would it be too much of a problem to tune it down, learn and play and whatnot for a few days and then tune back? How much is too much for this?

(Also, do I need to do anything else than unlock at the nut and tune? Does the trem require anything else more specific?)

Thanks!
You'd need to set up the floyd for every tuning. It's not really worth it if you switch tunings a lot.
if your going to change tuning do not use a floating trem
it will not be easy its a bitch to chnage tunings on floating trems

it wont do hamr but its not worth it

get a hardtail guitar and tune that one as you wish it doesnt do damage as long as you dont go anthign extreme
Depends on the tuning. Tuning to Drop D or half step tuning doesnt neccesarily do "damage." If you start tuning to tunings like C standard, it can put strain on your neck when you tune it back to E standard and mess the action up a little bit.
I have a floyd and the same issue. Now Im tuned to drop c and use a capo on the 2nd fret for a drop d option. Its handy I fine
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
You'd need to set up the floyd for every tuning. It's not really worth it if you switch tunings a lot.

Set up the floyd? How do I do this? Is it necessary for "little" changes, like 1/2 step?

Unfortunately I don't think changing guitars is much of an option right now =(
you should think about getting another guitar. one that has a hard-tail, or tune-o-matic bridge.
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
Quote by Rainmaker31
Set up the floyd? How do I do this? Is it necessary for "little" changes, like 1/2 step?

Unfortunately I don't think changing guitars is much of an option right now =(

There's a floyd rose sticky at the top of the page. Look at that.

Yes, it is necessary. The floyd needs to be level with the body for balancing issues, that stuff. I'm not the person who can give you the best details, though.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
There's a floyd rose sticky at the top of the page. Look at that.

Yes, it is necessary. The floyd needs to be level with the body for balancing issues, that stuff. I'm not the person who can give you the best details, though.

I've checked it, I can't even understand half the stuff mentioned there.

What would be the effects of simply tuning and ignoring the floyd setup on a change like 1/2 step? It's not laziness or sloppiness, I just don't think I'm capable of messing with this. Would the difference be something like a change in tone or could this mess up the guitar?
the bridge will sink into the body from lack of tension, causing the strings to just lay on the fretboard. you probably would'nt be able to play

it's really that mandatory that if you down tune the string, you have to tighten the springs in the back of the guitar.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
or, get a block of wood that prevents your floyd from moving/a tremelno and block off the floyd completly so it acts like a hardtail, and unlock the nut and take the locks off
Do you have a pitch shifting unit? I use my rp355 for dropped tunings and it sounds great.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
I just checked out Tremol-No, it's just what I need!
I have a few questions about it though. (for reference http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiZnipHc1ec)

If I use hardtail mode on it, can I just tune it up and down like I would a normal hardtail?

Also, I can't figure out for sure which I should buy. The Washburn site only says Licensed Floyd Rose Tremolo System. There is an option similar to this on the Tremol-no website (http://www.tremol-no.com/workswith.asp) that says both should work but I should prefer the pin.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Quote by randomhero93
the bridge will sink into the body from lack of tension, causing the strings to just lay on the fretboard. you probably would'nt be able to play

it's really that mandatory that if you down tune the string, you have to tighten the springs in the back of the guitar.

Wouldn't it be the other way around? If the strings are down tuned they have less tension on them right? So the springs should be looser too right?

@kutless999
I'm planning on buying a Multi-Effects sometime any way, would a Boss GT-10 be able t do this?
Last edited by Rainmaker31 at Jul 9, 2011,
Quote by Rainmaker31
Wouldn't it be the other way around? If the strings are down tuned they have less tension on them right? So the springs should be looser too right?

@seanthesheep
when you say take the locks off you mean the locks in the nut or something in the floyd?
How should I go about blocking the floyd? If it's too big a "piece of wood" the bridge will be titled and strings will be loose, how do I adjust this?

@kutless999
I'm planning on buying a Multi-Effects sometime any way, would a Boss GT-10 be able t do this?

Yes.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
I'm thinking about ordering the Tremol-No, but I'm still unsure about one thing:

f I use hardtail mode on it, can I just tune it up and down like I would a normal hardtail (i.e. just turn the pegs) or will I have to take the same measures I would with any floyd rose?

Thanks!
A trem blocker would be your best option. That will help your tuning stability for down tuning. Me and a friend of mine once played the same gig together, and his guitar (with a floyd) needed to be in Drop C, while it was in standard... Hahaha it took us a good hour to get the damn thing tuned down that low. Bottom line is, with a floyd rose, find a good tuning that you play the most often in, set it up and tune it for that, and LEAVE IT. haha It's not worth the trouble of tuning, adjusting spring tension, locking/unlocking the nut, and then fine tuning as well.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT