Hi,

I am trying to teach myself to read music by going thorugh the Berklee Method. I am now on page 24 where there is a simple progression to teach simple chords. Can anyone tel me what key this is?

| C | E7 | F Fm | C C7 | F Fm | C Am | Dm G7 | C |

The E7

and

F -> Fm

confuse me.

Thanks!
The F -> Fm is fairly common in major keys. Here's the voice-leading from F -> C:

C - C
A - G
F - E
F - C

And now Fm -> C:

C  - C
Ab - G
F  - E
F  - C

You can see the iv - I progression adds a second half step into the mix, making the pull to the C stronger. Here's E7 to F:

D  - C
B  - C
G# - A
E  - F

I guess they put in the E7 for harmonic interest. Notice that if the top note had been an E (which would move nicely to F,) all the notes would be sliding upwards. The D -> C movement on top is contrary to the other three notes, making the movement from E7 to F more interesting than Em or E to F. Of course, this may not be the exact voice-leading of your source material, but that's my guess on why they included that E7.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Quote by soviet_ska

I guess they put in the E7 for harmonic interest. Notice that if the top note had been an E (which would move nicely to F,) all the notes would be sliding upwards. The D -> C movement on top is contrary to the other three notes, making the movement from E7 to F more interesting than Em or E to F. Of course, this may not be the exact voice-leading of your source material, but that's my guess on why they included that E7.

I think the E7 is a five of six, and the F is a substitution for Am.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X