I have an Ibanez rg321mh I want to upgrade with new pickups. I was going to get a DiMarzio Tone Zone/Air Norton combo but have taken an interest in Seymour Duncans now. What Seymour Duncans would you recommend for my guitar? I need something that will cover most all types of music, but am not interested in country.

Do you think Seymour Duncans or DiMarzios will sound better in it (mahogany body I believe) and which ones would you choose and in what positions?

Thanks, I appreciate the help. My guitar has a 5 way switch if that matters.
Quote by DV8R
I see Seymour Duncans JB bridge/59 neck is common.

That's what I use in my Ibanez, it has a mahogany body. Can cover whatever I want tone-wise. Not as hot as many would like it to be for metal, but it certainly gets the job done easily.

I'm not a huge Dimarzio fan. All Duncans for me.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Seymour Duncans generally work well in mahogany, and DiMarzios generally work well in basswood. Both work alright in alder.

Keep in mind that is a very, very general statement.

Now to help you, what sounds in particular are you trying to attain? Specific bands/genres?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I mean, what bands tone are you trying to get close to?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
How about a SH-14 Custom 5 in the neck and a SH-5 Custom in the bridge? Seems like this would cover all styles well.
Last edited by DV8R at Jul 9, 2011,
Emg 81twx / 89x

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by DV8R
How about a SH-14 Custom 5 in the neck and a SH-5 Custom in the bridge? Seems like this would cover all styles well.

custom 5 would likely be too hot in the neck. one of the customs (your choice... far as i'm aware they're the same apart from the magnet so you could always buy one and two extra magnets to really nail things) in the bridge and maybe a '59 in the neck would probably work.

EDIT: that's not to say dimarzio won't work either... i mean there are duncans that work well in mahogany and duncans which don't. ditto dimarzio.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The JB from SD is a versatile bridge pickup, imo.
Schecter Omen-6 w/ Dimarzio D-Activator X/ Air Norton
Peavey Vypyr 30
I have a SD JB in the neck position (yes it's a bridge, but it sounds MUCH better in the neck imo) and Dimarzio SD in the bridge. Extremely versatile.

Maybe a 59 or Alnico 2 in the neck, and a SH-5 or JB in the bridge?

The Jazz is pretty versatile if you want Seymour Duncan also!
Many many people who get the tone zone regret. But with the Air Norton you really can't go wrong.
If you're not in the USA and can't change it after you used it-
If you want a pickup that should do everything and sounds awesome - get the Norton.
If you like Petrucci's tone, you can get the Crunch Lab. You can also use his Liquifire for bridge, it's and upgraded Air Norton, and wherever I look, people who tried it say it's way better than the Air Norton. (But the Air Norton is still great!)
Quote by gnr_tb
Many many people who get the tone zone regret. But with the Air Norton you really can't go wrong.
If you're not in the USA and can't change it after you used it-
If you want a pickup that should do everything and sounds awesome - get the Norton.
If you like Petrucci's tone, you can get the Crunch Lab. You can also use his Liquifire for bridge, it's and upgraded Air Norton, and wherever I look, people who tried it say it's way better than the Air Norton. (But the Air Norton is still great!)

+1.
got my tone zone/ air norton 2 days ago.
Love the norton, such a silky smooth pup. Not a huge fan of the tone zones range but it does hard rock and blues rock really really well. I fully recommend the air norton.

Why be so solid about brands man? If they make good pups is all that matters...
If versatility is important to you then a Custom 5 in the bridge and a 59 or Pearly Gates in the neck would be good picks. The Custom 5 isn't quite as harsh as the regular Custom but is still a bright, high output, modern pickup. The 59 and Pearly Gates are pretty much the same, the 59 is just a little brighter and the PG is a little warmer. If you use the neck for solos a lot I'd say go for the 59, it screams that bit more. If you more use the neck just for clean chording and the occasional harmony line then I'd go for the Pearly Gates, it's a bit more balanced on the thinnest two strings.

A really popular a mod is to get a Custom or Custom 5 and put an alnico 8 magnet in it. It's referred to as the Custom 8. That way you lose the harsh edge of the Custom but you're not rounding the tone off quite as much as the Custom 5 does. Alnico 8s are powerful though so the output will also jump up which is a problem if you want to keep your tone flexible. Since the RG has a fairly thin body and a bolt on neck that's a fairly bright tone so an Alternative 8 might be a good idea too. It's like the Custom 8 but with more bass and mids so it balances out super Strats very well. But like the Custom 8 it can get crazy output which is hard if you want to be versatile.
Quote by DimebagZappa

Why be so solid about brands man? If they make good pups is all that matters...

I mostly chose Duncans based on this poll someone made
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/pickups/92346-seymour-duncan-vs-dimarzio.html

I do like DiMarzios too though, especially for metal.
Last edited by DV8R at Jul 9, 2011,
Quote by DV8R
I think I might go with the SH-5 Custom in the bridge and SH-1 59 in the neck. Seymour Duncans.

Will I need new pots for these to work properly?
Quote by DV8R
I think I might go with the SH-5 Custom in the bridge and SH-1 59 in the neck. Seymour Duncans.

that would probably work. personally i might go for the custom 5 (i've only tried the custom and custom custom, but generally i like alnico 5 most for an all-rounder), though as i said, as far as i'm aware they're all the same pickup so if you got the custom and found it a bit too hard-edged with the ceramic magnet you could just buy an alnico 5 or 2 magnet and swap it out and have the other versions of the custom.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?