I've always wondered what would happen if one of my e-acquaintances decided to... end it all.

Has anyone had an internet buddy who's committed suicide?

How did you find out?

Did he or she ever mention anything about what they were going to do to you?

That feeling of helplessness must be awful.
That's really very bleak.

I don't imagine there's anything you could do, and that's the worst part. And it's never happened to me, but I bet you would still mourn the friend as if you knew them in person. Often with people online, you get to know them really well, 'cause you spend so much time talking.
"Because hoes don't trust anyone.. especially me."
Quote by the_wassel

Not you, silly.

But the reassurance is good!

Hm. Thinking about it, that would be awful. It'd be incredibly difficult to get in contact with anyone else that may be of assistance in helping the e-quaintance. Then they're just gone, and you have very little closure. Assuming you have never met them in real life, it'd be like a nearly-anonymous person with a familiar face that you had some sort of friendship with. Very bleak indeed.

Quote by iantheman
how would you know?

I'd assume either from the sudden absence of an account on a site they frequently occupied, or maybe a friend of the friend would realize and tell you.

Conversely, you may be able to contact one of their friends for more information.
Quote by the_wassel
I'd assume either from the sudden absence of an account on a site they frequently occupied, or maybe a friend of the friend would realize and tell you.

Conversely, you may be able to contact one of their friends for more information.

I made an agreement with my friend in Australia to at least have the decency to let each other know if anything.. unpleasant.. is gonna go down.
"Because hoes don't trust anyone.. especially me."
Well...I had this friend that moved to my town for a few years then moved away, but we still kept contact through the internet and he passed away like 5 years after moving away...I actually found out though the local paper who printed his obituary.
Last edited by /stab at Jul 9, 2011,
I've got a friend who's a follower of the TOTBL, of which one of the parts is voluntary suicide.
I'm cool with it.
Last edited by jurnag12 at Jul 9, 2011,
I've thought about this before, too.

It's something that worries me quite a bit, to be honest. I mean, if one of my e-buddies did commit suicide I may never know and just think they left the site. Fortunately, I have all of my really good e-friends added on Facebook.

But yeah, I'm not sure how I would handle it if the occasion ever arises. I imagine I'd be in just as much grief as if an IRL friend died. Which may seem weird, but I've gotten damn close to some of my online pals.
Quote by jurnag12
I've got a friend who's a follower of the Misanthropic Luciferian Order, of which one of the parts is voluntary suicide.
I'm cool with it.

Anyone who is a member of something called the 'misanthropic luciferian order' is going to be a giant tool anyway.
No I haven't had the pleasure, I am sure everyone here would miss me and my threads though.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
No I haven't had the pleasure, I am sure everyone here would miss me and my threads though.

Quote by jurnag12
I've got a friend who's a follower of the TOTBL, of which one of the parts is voluntary suicide.
I'm cool with it.

Well I guess its a good way of killing off the mentally disabled...
Quote by jurnag12
I'm cool with it.
Anyone who is a member of something called the 'Temple of the Black Light' is going to be a giant tool anyway.
Quote by due 07
Anyone who is a member of something called the 'Temple of the Black Light' is going to be a giant tool anyway.

He changed the name of that from something else before which you can see in what i quoted it as :S , sounds ****ing lame either way.
Quote by Zoot Allures
He changed the name of that from something else before which you can see in what i quoted it as :S , sounds ****ing lame either way.
I saw that.

I decided to do you a service and make sure he didn't get away with it.
Quote by entity0009
It is the most crippling feeling of helplessness ever.

Care to share?

In my restless dreams...
I see that town.
Silent Hill.
You promised you'd take me there again someday.
But you never did.

Well, I'm alone there now.
In our 'special place'...
Waiting for you.

If they have, I have just never known... and I have known the odd few people between 5-10 years now online.

Although when I was about 12, there was a girl who was a bit older who said she was actually going to kill herself with a knife and she just went offline. The next day she came on and I was all like "I thought you were going to kill yourself?" completely serious (being 12 or so), and she said "I was going to but it hurts too much". Also, this other girl who must have been about 16 or 17 at the time said that her Grandmother used to drown her a lot. Even while she was typing to me lol. Ah well, what you believe when you're young...
This will start a RIOT! in me
I've had friends commit suicide, people I knew in real life, and there's not much you can do about that either, so on the internet, you're practically helpless to help them, cause who actually listens to people's logic on the internet? None.
inb4 "inb4 it's so selfish." (full stop)
This will start a RIOT! in me
Quote by ethan_hanus
I've had friends commit suicide, people I knew in real life, and there's not much you can do about that either, so on the internet, you're practically helpless to help them, cause who actually listens to people's logic on the internet? None.

I've prevented people from committing suicide over the internet, but then again I'm trained to do so
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington