I am wanting to get a guitar for lower tunings (B standard and lower). And I would like some guitar model suggestions that would satisfy my needs.

The guitar needs to meet the following criteria:

Price range of $500-1500
Mahogany body (will do with alder or ash if that model meets the rest)
Two pickups
At least 1 volume and 1 tone knob
Fixed bridge with either a stop-tail or string thru
25.5 inch scale length
Ebony fretboard
6 in a row tuners
Good upper fret access (I don't care if its set/thru/set-thru/bolt on; as long as its a comfortable neck)
The necks that seem most comfortable to me are Jackson necks (I like the neck on my DK2M and SLSMG) and ESP Thin U necks. So if the guitar is from a different company as long as the neck feels similar to that profile I'm happy.

The guitar will be played through a Mesa/Boogie Roadster and Mark IV head and a Marshall 6100LM into a 2x12 with V30s.

Thanks for any input.
Last edited by SCopeland24 at Jul 9, 2011,
^Since he said 6 in a row tuners, I'm thinking 6... Is Ibanez out of the question, neck-wise?
Ah fair enough. An ESP baritone guitar? I havent tried one but iv heard theyre pretty good.
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
I prefer six string atm. As for the baritone; I don't have the biggest hands, in fact they are on the smaller side so anything past the mentioned scale length and I might have some problems properly fretting certain chords and leads.

As for the Ibanez. I use to have a 2550Z and I sold it because I wasn't a fan of the neck. I was either too wide or thin or both; probably wide. My hand would cramp no matter what I played or how my left hand was positioned.
jackson ke3, jackson dkmg, both great guitars
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Jul 9, 2011,
Quote by fixationdarknes

$1500 budget and you suggest Agile? God you fan boys are retards.

TS go and buy a 2nd hand ESP Horizon IINt.

Everything you want and then some.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Schecter are nice but I don't think they have all tuner's on one side. I would the horizon or a Jackson.
Quote by fixationdarknes
500-1500. It's not a requirement to max out your budget.

On second look, he says he wants a 6-string, so disregard my links anyhow.

You can get them for about $1100.

Agile are only worth it if people want a fake LP or a cheap multiscale.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
maybe im crazy but for down tunings i think id rather use something with a maple neck as a posed to a mahogany neck. mahogany just feels a bit too sensitive for down tunings to me

either an esp nt-ii or maybe a carvin?
Like I said woods are not the most important to me. Playability is. And a fixed bridge so I can drop A and detune to A standard and A# standard when I want.
I plan on getting a 7 string later on but I want a trem with that. As for a baritone; I don't think I can play one effectively unless its like a 26 inch scale. The one I had picked out was the PRS Mushok Baritone but that was a 27.7 inch scale and thats probably too big for my hands.
Schecter Blackjack or Hellraiser, maybe a standard C-1 or maybe an Ibanez RG Prestige (the more expensive ones). The RGs have an Edge Trem though, and some of them are basswood bodies. :/
How are the necks on the schecters? I heard that they are on the thicker side of things.
I own an ESP LTD MHB-400 baritone and it is absolutely phenomenal, much better than the Mushok, if you were thinking about baritone 6ers. Only thing is it has a maple body, but i find it to cut through a mix far more efficiently than say my ESP LTD H-302 w/ emgs, which is mahogany bodied.
If you pay for a pro to set your instument up well standard guitars can be great with B and lower tunings.
Last edited by omentremor at Jul 10, 2011,
Quote by SCopeland24
How are the necks on the schecters? I heard that they are on the thicker side of things.

Thicker than Fender necks. Thinner than the big Gibson necks. The back flattens out above the twelfth fret to make it easy to access the top frets. Probably not good necks for a guy with small hands.
For b standard or lower I would strongly suggest a 7 string. Just my .02
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Quote by jpnyc
Thicker than Fender necks. Thinner than the big Gibson necks. The back flattens out above the twelfth fret to make it easy to access the top frets. Probably not good necks for a guy with small hands.

They aren't thicker then fender necks. They are pretty much the same thickness but fender has v necks
Gear:
MXR CAE WAH
The ESP Horizon NT-II has got my attention. But how are the Fender Jim Root models? I'd assume they would handle low tunings well.

Also I saw a B.C. Rich NT Warlock that looked half-way decent; although I have no experience with B.C. Rich and have no clue if their quality control is any good.
Quote by SCopeland24
The ESP Horizon NT-II has got my attention. But how are the Fender Jim Root models? I'd assume they would handle low tunings well.

Also I saw a B.C. Rich NT Warlock that looked half-way decent; although I have no experience with B.C. Rich and have no clue if their quality control is any good.

The BC Rich won't even compare to the JR and the NT-II. Both are a level above it. The BC Rich is n't bad, just not NT-II OR Fender Jim Root sig good
Gear:
MXR CAE WAH
I would say the JR Strat is on par with the ESP.

At that price point yuo really need to play them both and decide.

for what its worth, I absolutely adored my JR for the time I had it.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Did you ever take off the scratch plate? is there enough room in the body cavity for more pot controls?
Quote by DamagingExcess
They aren't thicker then fender necks. They are pretty much the same thickness but fender has v necks

I always thought Schecter neck were between ESP and Fender. They aren't nearly as thick as people make them out to be. But no Schecter fits what TS is looking for.

TS: Look around for a Washburn X50 Pro. It has everything you are looking for, except for the ebony fingerboard, this one has rosewood, but that's it. It comes with Seymour Duncans 59' on neck and Custom Custom on bridge, or you can go for the X50 Pro FE which is the same guitar, but with EMG 81/85. They cost between $500 and $700, great guitars for the price.

You may also look at the newer XM PRO2F model (the one with string-thru), which fits your description perfectly.
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Fender 60's Lacquer Jazzmaster
Schecter C-1+ with SD '59
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
I've never owned the JR Strat but Jim mentioned in an interview that his tele was designed with only a volume control because he never used the tone and wanted to take as little wood out of the guitar as possible, which probably means there isn't enough room to get a tone pot in there. The necks on his guitars are based off an 80's Charvel, super comfy IMO.

At $1,500 you're getting to the point where Carvin could make one to your specs. Other than that you'll probably be confined to Jacksons and some ESP's.
Yeah Jim's tele can't but it looks like on his strat I can stick in another pot. I looked at carvin and I might do a custom ST. As for Jackson I have yet to find one like what I want other than the SLSMG & SLS3. I already have an SLSMG and while I like it; I want something with a little more body to it.

So far my options are:

ESP Horizon NT-II
Fender Jim Root Stratocaster
Carvin ST-300 custom
G&L USA Invader XL ( http://cgi.ebay.com/G-L-USA-Invader-XL-Black-Satin-EMGs-Ebony-Fingerboard-/230645207441?pt=Guitar&hash=item35b3869191 )
and this custom job:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TTM-2011-STEPHAN-LILL-JL-1-CLASSIC-EDITION-EMG-STYLE-/280707303882?pt=Guitar&hash=item415b7589ca
Quote by cxrlxscr
I always thought Schecter neck were between ESP and Fender. They aren't nearly as thick as people make them out to be. But no Schecter fits what TS is looking for.

Yeah I know. I just get nerd rage when people say Schecters have these massive necks and they really don't
Gear:
MXR CAE WAH
Well I played my buddy's schecter and the neck was about the same as my ltd; just rounder at closer to the nut.