I just ordered a LP wire kit from GFS and it came with 2 500k volume pots, but also came with 250k tone pots. Now my question is should the tone pots be 250 or 500? Because the original tones were 500k not 250?
Will this make a big diffrence in tone or am I just being dumb?
Thanks in advance.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Using 250s with Humbuckers will shave off treble. given that they are already warm enough, id use the 500s (which are made for hb's)
Quote by Charley2715
Using 250s with Humbuckers will shave off treble. given that they are already warm enough, id use the 500s (which are made for hb's)

Thats wha I thought, but I wonder why they use 250k's in there kits? I guess I'll order some new 500ks for the tone, it just makes me mad, because it should have came that way.
It also came with a strat style 5 wat instead of the LP style 3 way, and was missing the input jack as well
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You definitely want 500k for the volume pots for a classic les paul sound. as for tone, the resistance is not terribly crucial. you might notice more more treble loss in the first half turn if you had 500k since the high resistance interacts with the high frequencies more. over all the capacitor is the main component of the tone section. i promise you will not notice a real difference because of the tone pot's resistance. you will have a more responsive tone section with a lower resistance pot.
Quote by Charley2715

Sure they are.

250's will shave off less treble, and will sound brighter than 500k tone pots. If it was the other way around, then a 250 k volume pot would sound very dark.

The only thing it will do is make your guitar sound a little brighter than it would with the 500k pots.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Sure they are.

250's will shave off less treble, and will sound brighter than 500k tone pots. If it was the other way around, then a 250 k volume pot would sound very dark.

The only thing it will do is make your guitar sound a little brighter than it would with the 500k pots.

Um... 500k makes it sound brighter... 250k is darker...
Quote by Wisthekiller
Um... 500k makes it sound brighter... 250k is darker...

Only for volume pots, it's the opposite way for tone pots. Trust me, I've gone through way to many pots on my guitar with the same pickups, experience tells me otherwise.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Only for volume pots, it's the opposite way for tone pots. Trust me, I've gone through way to many pots on my guitar with the same pickups, experience tells me otherwise.

It should be the opposite according to google.
Quote by Wisthekiller
It should be the opposite according to google.

Don't listen to everything the interwebz tells ya kid.

Could just be the fact that I'm using single coils, but I doubt it. Had 500k tone pots and Volume pot, made BKP Trilogy Suites sound very dark and dull, switched it out for 250k tone pots and a 1 meg volume, brightened that thing up a bunch..

Why do you think Strats have 250k pots instead of 500k? 500k pots make single coils very dark and cuts alot of their highs, but having a 250k volume pot cuts the excessive highs.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Don't listen to everything the interwebz tells ya kid.

Could just be the fact that I'm using single coils, but I doubt it. Had 500k tone pots and Volume pot, made BKP Trilogy Suites sound very dark and dull, switched it out for 250k tone pots and a 1 meg volume, brightened that thing up a bunch..

Why do you think Strats have 250k pots instead of 500k? 500k pots make single coils very dark and cuts alot of their highs, but having a 250k volume pot cuts the excessive highs.

I think it's the 1 meg volume that brightened it.

And 500k pots makes it too bright. That's why cheap POS strats are so shrill, they have 500k pots.
Quote by Wisthekiller
I think it's the 1 meg volume that brightened it.
this.

anyways back to the original guy,
general consensus is, 250k for single coils, 500k for humbuckers.
the 250k's are warmer, meaning you get a nice tone from the singles
the 500k's clean up the sound of the humbuckers a bit, so that its not so muddy sounding.

as for tone pots, i dont think ive heard anything about them really affecting it. after all, it goes back to your volume anyway. after googling, it would seem that most people just use the same as the volume pot for convenience. either way, youre not going to hear a crazy difference.
just use the one youve got.

and for future reference, this is a wiring question, perhaps try the wiring thread found in the GB&C essential links thread found stickied on the forum page
Last edited by Doonan at Jul 10, 2011,