Let's get into. What is your opinion on the necks of Schecter guitars? I will be getting a C-1 Hellraiser or a C-1 Blackjack soon (I'm a lefty, so Schecter has a great selection), and that is the best quality for the money, definitely (my next step up would be an Ibanez RG1550ML or RG1570L).
I am slightly dismayed by people on here saying how horrible the necks are compared to Ibanez or Jackson, yet the reviews all seem to say that the neck is perfectly fine and able to be played fast when I read the UG reviews. I am still confident in my decision, but I'd like to know your personal experiences with Schecter necks.

It might be noted that I play lead in a prog metal band. I'm currently playing a Schecter Omen 6 with Dimarzio D-Activators, and I've been able to cover on my own some Protest the Hero songs, which if you haven't listened to much PTH, are quite challenging to play (on all instruments).
I think they're great necks, not quite as smooth and flat as jackson's and ibanez's but still have a great feel and are easy to play fast.
Rock on or die

Guitarist 5 years, Had purpose in life 5 years

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
I play a Schecter Omen-6 with Dimarzio D-Activator X (Bridge) and Air Norton (Neck). I play lead guitar and shred stuff. I like the profile. It is pretty thick but I suppose that personal preference.. I like Schecters.
Schecter Omen-6 w/ Dimarzio D-Activator X/ Air Norton
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by nirvanagrunge13
I think they're great necks, not quite as smooth and flat as jackson's and ibanez's but still have a great feel and are easy to play fast.
That's EXACTLY my problem with Ibanez guitars: the necks. They feel like wooden planks -> it's not like I can't play on them and I certainly don't doubt they're great for speedy licks, but they just don't feel "right" to me (much like the beefy necks you often find on Telecasters: way too "beefy" imho)

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I wouldn't use my C-1 Classic for shred over my RG1570, but nonetheless it feels great for rhythm play and the like. My Classic is my main stage guitar atm.
im also a lefty and had the same exact experience as you actually. I have a c-1 hellraiser w/o FR. And the neck is perfectly fine. Its great not to skinny and definitely not to chunky. Good decision mate. There great guitars for the price, especially for being a lefty.

Have also consider carvin? they make all there guitars lefty in the USA for No extra charge =p. You can customize anyone of your orders. Of course this will be a 3 or 4 week wait, but it's worth the guitar youll get. Also You can choose a 14 inch radius on the neck and ibanezs are 16 inch. So Carvin neck will be pretty thin also.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
If you've got big hands or long fingers then Schecter necks are great. If you've got smaller hands you might want to stick with Ibanez or Jackson or ESP necks. Schecter aren't as big as a traditional style Telecaster or SG or Explorer or anything like that but they are that little bit rounder than some other metal guitars. The difference is like, an Ibanez neck is what you get if you take a Schecter neck and flatten off the top 1mm off the back.

Don't forget though that people have been shredding on Les Pauls and Fenders and Schecters and even Grestchs for decades. Just because a neck is 1mm thicker or thinner does not mean you will or won't be able to play properly on it. You could hand Steve Vai a Schecter and he would be able to shred on it just as good as he always does. You know the saying, a poor workman blames his tools. And a thicker neck does give you a much better tone and longer sustain. Getting used to a thicker neck has many advantages.
I had a Revenger FR until it was stolen. Best neck I've ever had, they're bigger than an Ibanez (my RGA feels delicate in comparison) and they're very sturdy. I completely condone Schecters, they're not built weak that's for sure. With the thicker neck, if downtuning is your thing anyway, it's great for that also. I used that Revenger in standard, drop d, drop c and on a drunken occasion B standard.
*shrugs* I don't know...
Quote by shwilly
That's EXACTLY my problem with Ibanez guitars: the necks. They feel like wooden planks -> it's not like I can't play on them and I certainly don't doubt they're great for speedy licks, but they just don't feel "right" to me (much like the beefy necks you often find on Telecasters: way too "beefy" imho)

umm what? all the teles ive played including the MiM tele i own all seem to have pretty slim neck

to me, the tele neck feels very similar to gibsons 60s neck, just more of a C shape while the gibson 60s feels more like a D. and its just a bit wider, but almost the exact same as my gibson flying V neck

anyways back on topic, schecter necks feel pretty beefy to me. not as beefy as a baseball bat 50s gibson neck, but up there. thats just my opinion.
Quote by Seanthesheep
umm what? all the teles ive played including the MiM tele i own all seem to have pretty slim neck

to me, the tele neck feels very similar to gibsons 60s neck, just more of a C shape while the gibson 60s feels more like a D. and its just a bit wider, but almost the exact same as my gibson flying V neck

anyways back on topic, schecter necks feel pretty beefy to me. not as beefy as a baseball bat 50s gibson neck, but up there. thats just my opinion.
New Telecasters do have the same slim necks as all other modern Fenders but old Telecasters had necks that were up to an inch thick.

And speaking of that, the Gibson 50s neck isn't a baseball bat neck. In fact it's quite thin compared to what some necks were like in the early 50s. The baseball bat neck was originally a term used to describe those old Telecasters.
Varies from model to model. I love the neck on my c1 elite its nice enough however the c1 exotic star i think it was? If the necks on the models you mentioned are anything like that it'll feel like crappy plastic with a horrible uncomfortable shape.. IMO
Thanks guys. It seems you all have had good experience with them.
GoodOl'trashbag, it's awesome to hear from another lefty! I love how great Schecter is to lefties, and I'll have to check out Carvin as well.

EDIT: Carvin guitars seem to also be a viable choice, I might get one after my Schecter. How customizable their guitars are is fantastic, and they are reasonably priced as well!
Last edited by Zelos45 at Jul 9, 2011,
It's not that they are crap or anything, they just don't have quite the same amount of speed/comfort as say Ibanez
i have a c1+ and an a-7. both have pretty comfortable necks, at least in my opinion. i've always liked the feel of schecter and esp necks, it just works for me. even the a-7 felt natural when i got it even though its a 7 string. of course that my opinion, your hands maybe different and you might like something else better. i would try to get somewhere that you can try out these guitars you're unsure about.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
I have a C-Plus and I think it's a fine. It's not exactly a super thin neck but you get used to it just fine. I personally didn't like the Hellraiser as much as I thought I would 9my friend has one) but the Blackjack is supposed to good.

As for the Jackson and Ibanez guitars, I personally don't like the cheaper Jacksons but the Ibanez are alright, just make sure to get a good one haha. I prefer the J guitars on Ibanez.
Quote by Fishyesque
Well, you might make her think otherwise.

You could just show her that you have a PS3 and BANG.

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
A chainsaw can take a girl off her feet pretty nicely. Then there are less limbs to worry about while you rape her.