So, I've recently gotten into playing bass (had one for a while but not done much because of exams) and I'm wondering what stuff to start with, I'm mainly planning on doing death metal style songs.
I can play all of Crystal Mountain by Death but that's all I know.

So any recommendations would be great, stuff around that skill level. I'm also looking to improve speed, I play with my fingers as opposed to a pick and I can do galloping style stuff fine but doing fast tremolo style playing is difficult so stuff to improve that too please
Quote by craig-sansum
+10000000000000000000000000000000000

Quote by Sanitarium91
Liking the cosmic toad vocals is a sign of exquisite taste, so good on you!
Your avatar contradicts what you want to play

If you are having trouble with some techniques, you need to practice those techniques, not learn new songs
Quote by Zeletros
Your avatar contradicts what you want to play

If you are having trouble with some techniques, you need to practice those techniques, not learn new songs

Learning songs that involve the technique can be a good way to practice.

The two "Songs I Should Learn" threads should have plenty of metal in them. look at the sticky.
^Not much death metal though.

If you're into Death though (I assume you are if you play Crystal Mountain) then they have hundreds of erm... not too tricky lines. Anything off of The Sound of Perseverance has some fun complex sounding lines that actually aren't too demanding, like ''Bite the Pain'' or ''Flesh and the Power it Holds''.

The Individual Thought Patterns album has some great stuff too, Steve DiGiorgio has some beautiful fretless work that can be re-executed with a fretted bass.

As far as other bands, the one that immediatly springs to mind is Cannibal Corpse, despite all the schtick they get in the elitist community. Their slower songs like ''Evisceration Plage'' and ''From Skin to Liquid'' are great tunes to groove on.
Do any of the Cannibal Corpse songs require a five string bass? I don't have one is all and I'm just wondering if there's a way I can... I'm not sure get around it is quite the right word but... Something to that effect really, a way to play five string songs on a four string.
Quote by craig-sansum

Quote by Sanitarium91
Hmmm not so much helpful in the sense of what your after song wise, but there are a hell of alot of fun songs that require fast playing that arn't death metal.
I remember when I was learning to play speed etc. I was learning stuff like ebolarama by every time I die.. where it wasnt so much a speed on 1 string etc. but crossing string and string skips while maintaining the same speed etc.

As i said, might not be the style of music etc. that ur into but check out the power tabs mute everything but the bass and see if you like it.
Quote by Wretched_Spawn
Do any of the Cannibal Corpse songs require a five string bass? I don't have one is all and I'm just wondering if there's a way I can... I'm not sure get around it is quite the right word but... Something to that effect really, a way to play five string songs on a four string.

All of CC's needs a 5er IIRC.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Play old CC, anything from Eaten Back to Life to Bleeding. You can play them on 4 string bass. If you want to play fast tremolo stuff try some Slayer.
Metal is like a apple, no-one likes the core.
Any specific songs? For CC and Slayer
Quote by craig-sansum

Quote by Sanitarium91
Cannibal corpse- Hammer Smashed Face, Bleeding, I cum blood, ****ed with knife, Staring through the eyes of the dead, Addicted to Vaginal skin.

Slayer - Raining Blood, Angel of Death (well the whole Reign in Blood album)
Also try some Behemoth (Songs like Christgrinding avenue, Conquer All, At left hand ov God)
I'll try some of those songs. Atheist stuff is really tough on bass though.
The only stuff I can play from start to finish is Crystal Mountain, Festering in the Crypt and Slowly We Rot
Quote by craig-sansum

Quote by Sanitarium91
I Cum Blood.
Also:
Spirit Crusher - Death
Anticosmic Overload - Obscura
Silence Calls the Storm - Quo Vadis
Mother Man - Atheist
Hammer Smashed Face - Cannibal Corpse
Souls of Black -Testement
Quote by corrda00
I Cum Blood.
Also:
Spirit Crusher - Death
Anticosmic Overload - Obscura
Silence Calls the Storm - Quo Vadis
Mother Man - Atheist
Hammer Smashed Face - Cannibal Corpse
Souls of Black -Testement

Don't Hammer Smashed Face and Anticosmic Overload both require a five string?
And aren't Atheist and Quo Vadis songs really difficult?
Quote by craig-sansum

Quote by Sanitarium91
Hammer Smashed Face goes in Eb, so it doesnt need 5 string.
Anticosmic overload has some parts that go on fifth string, but you can play the guitar parts.

If you arent very good at bass playing, i think you should not try tech death.
i was never too into tech death anyway. I'm mainly looking for traditional death metal like cannibal corpse and morbid angel and blackened death metal like Behemoth
Quote by craig-sansum

Quote by Sanitarium91