I'm wanting to buy a new amp but nobody around here carries the ones I'm looking into. I'm going to be joining a new band soon that plays metal (similar to The Absence's first album), however I'd like an amp that isn't a one trick pony. I'd love to get Mastodon-style tones, that dry sounding distortion they use, and something that can still play halfassed clean. But anything with balls would be acceptable.

Budget: $350 or so, I'm looking to go used
Preferred Features: 2 Channel, tube, no frills amp (reverb would be nice). 112 Combo/stack

Amps I'm looking at:
-Blackstar HT-5 (with reverb)
-VHT Special 6 Ultra (single channel..)
-Jet City JCA20 (botch head and combo versions) (single channel..)
-Peavey Classic 30

Does anyone have experience with these amps? I'm leaning towards the JCA20 for it's stock sweet tone but I'm concerned with the price and quality of components.. I'm open to other suggestions as well. Thanks in advance GG&A
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Hey iv just bought a blackstar ht-5 with reverb on thursday there n what can i say soo far but its sound is incredible.

Clean channel could be a bit more warm n smooth but this amps all about your overdrive channel.

The overdrive channel is great and LOUD, turn it up just before half way on the volume and you get a really tight metal sound which is what i was after iv not had much experimenting time with it but the isf control is a good toy for experimenting with sound!
I thought about a 6505, but I'm concerned with the terrible cleans the amp offers. Although I definitely play more distortion than clean, I do like to play clean stuff as well.

About the HT-5.. does the clean channel sound too sterile to you? Also how does it take pedals?
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
As great as the blackstar is, a 5W amp isnt going to be loud enough without a PA miking up your amp. I've heard some really disappointed people complain a bit about the Jet City, but I'd still chance it over the VHT or the Peavy.

Honestly though I'd consider an Orange using a tubescreamer or something.
You probly wont get a 5150/6505 at $350 anyways, It is possible Ive bought them for as low as $400 for a 2x12 but it dosnt happen often.
If you did up your budget to afford a 5150/6505 you could get by with the cleans, unless your extremley picky about your clean tone.

I wouldnt look at any of the amps you have listed, the jca isnt bad but its still just meh
Maybe look into a jca50 or 100 they would work better imo in a band situation than the jca20?
You can probly find them used for a good price too.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean