Page 1 of 2
How would your thoughts be different if you weren't able to talk/use language?

Would we still be able to think the same way if we didn't have language?
Nonverbal communication also plays a big role in communicating besides language, though it would be harder.
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
We wouldnt be able to do this if it wasn't for language. Think about it man.
1969 Honey Burst Les Paul
2001 Gibson SG
2009 Martin D-15m
2006 Fender Sonoran

1979 MusicMan HD130 2-12
Framus 2-12 V30's
Blackstar HT5

Blackstar Dist-x
Boss DS-1
Crybaby Wah
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone

View my Pedal Thread
Cave men!
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
There was a professor who suffered a stroke while sleeping and woke up without any knowledge of language.

She said it was awesome.
Quote by Athabasca
My ex did the same. Cheated on me and then acted like I'd given her sister a facial. Women are retarded.
If they can't talk, they can't say no.

>_>

But seriously, we made it forhowever many millennia without coherent language. I'm sure we'd manage again, although the jump from having a developed language to having nothing would be pretty harsh.
🙈 🙉 🙊
this thread won't be here.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by Snowman388
There was a professor who suffered a stroke while sleeping and woke up without any knowledge of language.

She said it was awesome.

Err... How exactly?
If we managed when we was cavemen then everything would prably be fine, difficult though cause you think of it you see how language is really important in our lives

Gear:
Vintage VRS100
Marshall avt50h
Marshall haze cab
Vox ac15vr
Joyo Hot plexi pedal
Behringer SP400 phase shifter
Guitar tech analog delay
Vox Pathfinder 10
Our brain makes us think in some language because it simply the most recognizable way of transferring information. If it didn't have that, it would just use the next most recognizable thing, being vision I suppose.

So instead of words in your head, you'd have visions, but obviously it would slower our thinking process as creating an image in your mind demands imagination and effort.
We wouldn't have civilization.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by LRCGUITAR
Err... How exactly?

The silence in her mind. It was peaceful.
Quote by Athabasca
My ex did the same. Cheated on me and then acted like I'd given her sister a facial. Women are retarded.
Quote by TEK34
The animal kingdom doesn't have language, most animals seem fine. We'd be OK.

They eat each other and their average life expectancy is less than in african countries.
Quote by Zeletros
They eat each other and their average life expectancy is less than in african countries.

That's because most of them aren't made to live a long time. Not due to communication. And we eat animals too.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Without language there is no thought.

uh... that's not really true.
Quote by TEK34
The animal kingdom doesn't have language, most animals seem fine. We'd be OK.

truefax

Gear:
Vintage VRS100
Marshall avt50h
Marshall haze cab
Vox ac15vr
Joyo Hot plexi pedal
Behringer SP400 phase shifter
Guitar tech analog delay
Vox Pathfinder 10
Quote by a cobweb

We think in English. I think, aside from colors and objects, it would be completely quiet
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by a cobweb

Yes it is. The development of human language came about through the cognitive development of abstract thought – about the afterlife, religion etc.

If we had no language we would not have these things. Hence people without language are usually those who have suffered severe brain injuries.
Quote by brandon369852
We think in English. I think, aside from colors and objects, it would be completely quiet

yeah... but images, scenarios etc. are thoughts.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Yes it is. The development of human language came about through the cognitive development of abstract thought – about the afterlife, religion etc.

If we had no language we would not have these things. Hence people without language are usually those who have suffered severe brain injuries.

i don't see how that proves "without language there is no thought", at all. also by language you are referring to verbal communication, right?
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

EDIT: 23x98 - that's easier. Anyway - work that out in your head. There's a chance you'll notice you'll do some part of the working out without language.
Last edited by Craigo at Jul 9, 2011,
Language determinism is a concept in psychology that states that the language you use determines how you think. For instance, there is a civilization in the Southern Pacific area that does not have a word for anything exceeding the number seven, or something. As a result, when they attempt to trade coconuts (as it was the example given to me by my psyc book) they could trade two or three without any problem, but to trade anything in excess of seven (I think it was seven) caused them problems. Because there wasn't a word for eight, they cognitively couldn't grasp the difference between eight and twenty-eight.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
Language determinism is a concept in psychology that states that the language you use determines how you think. For instance, there is a civilization in the Southern Pacific area that does not have a word for anything exceeding the number seven, or something. As a result, when they attempt to trade coconuts (as it was the example given to me by my psyc book) they could trade two or three without any problem, but to trade anything in excess of seven (I think it was seven) caused them problems. Because there wasn't a word for eight, they cognitively couldn't grasp the difference between eight and twenty-eight.

that doesn't make sense, at some point they were like, I'll give you 2 7's...and thus 14 was born
Quote by Weeping_Demon7

Why would they ask them the difference between eight and twenty eight? That's presuming that it's correct to group numbers into groups of ten, which is silly), so it would be an odd question to ask them. Also sceptical of them not understanding numbers beyond 8.

Also, if this is in relation to Mistress' post, I don't believe she's saying that...
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

How is language formally defined by the way? Are you counting it as any form of communication, like dolphin communication? Since they would have thought.
why wouldn't you just invent a word for seven if it, remaining nameless, is making you loose coconuts left right and centre
Quote by Craigo
Why would they ask them the difference between eight and twenty eight? That's presuming that it's correct to group numbers into groups of ten, which is silly), so it would be an odd question to ask them. Also sceptical of them not understanding numbers beyond 8.

Also, if this is in relation to Mistress' post, I don't believe she's saying that...

My post is independent of Mistress.

I can't find it in my psych book actually, it might have been something my teacher said.

At any rate, it does say this:

"...to those who speak two dissimilar languages, such as English and Japanese, it seems obvious that a person may think differently in different languages. Unlike English which has a rich vocabulary for self-focused emotions such as anger, Japanese has more words for interpersonal emotions such as sympathy. Many bilinguals report that they have different senses of self, depending on language they are using. They may even reveal different personality profiles when taking the same test in two languages."

Basically, language often times creates thoughts and abstractions that would be inexpressible otherwise and in addition, different languages can create different thoughts.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Quote by a cobweb
i don't see how that proves "without language there is no thought", at all. also by language you are referring to verbal communication, right?

No I am talking about all language.
Quote by trueamerican

That's what it is!!!!! What I was talking about. I just got the stuff mixed up, I don't know why I got time mixed up with coconuts and numbers, but whatever.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

We would act mainly through basic human instincts, and be very animalistic. also society wouldn't be able to fit us into certain roles or condition us to think a certain way. we would most likely end up all killing each other.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
No I am talking about all language.

well... then i guess it is neither possible to prove nor disprove your statement since, hypothetically, we could not communicate it to each other
hmm.. i've read all the post n this is my thought.
lets for example take babies on account. they dont know how to speak but still react on things they hav no clue about so they are thinking and therefore do hav thoughts. but maybe thats because there are humans speaking all around them.. but if removed from all contact they'll still have thoughts even though they wont hav the language to describe it.

EDIT:
Quote by Masamune
How is language formally defined by the way? Are you counting it as any form of communication, like dolphin communication? Since they would have thought.

i was thinking the same.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
I write poetry
And it sucks.
Last edited by leafwhisperer at Jul 10, 2011,
Whenever the Will to Power, in no matter what form, begins to decline, a physiological retrogression, decadence always supervenes.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

What?
Without the capacity for language thought is massively different, but there is clearly thought without language. If we remove a child from all contact till after the critical period they can still think, but their language ability will be massively diminished.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
I think we'd still feel the essence of certain emotions but it'd be that much harder for A to voice out what he's thinking.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7

That's like how the Hopi indians have a really easy time understanding the theory of relativity because of their understanding of time in their semantic constructs.

But I think without language existence would be completely different because we wouldn't categorize everything we see, it would be like seeing everything uniquely. Instead of calling all trees trees we would see them all as different and unique. Being humans too you can't really say what our minds would be like because they are different from all other animals, we would have more going on than simply instincts. It's hard to say though
Call me Jack
Page 1 of 2