Hey guys, long time UG user but first time poster here. I have googled my heart out trying to figure out how to get a fuller sound when playing solos on the higher frets of my guitar, but I just can't seem to find the answer. I was hoping someone here might have some hints.

In particular, I'm currently figuring out how to properly play the solo from Pearl Jam's Alive. The recording sounds so deep and musical, but when I play it on either my Ibanez RG or my Alvarez Dana it sounds tinny and high-pitched. Same goes for the intro to Sweet Child of Mine and Layla, two other songs I love playing but can never get to sound right. If anyone has any clues, they'd be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Matt
Do you use the neck pickup, if you do already try rolling off the neck tone a little bit that always helps to fatten up the sound.

Guitars:
Fender American Standard Strat 2009 Limited Edition
Ibanez Gak30

Amps
Jcm 800 2203 '82

Pedals:
John bull jr overdrive
Boss Equalizer GE-7
Boss TU-3
Boss CH1

My Band
http://www.myspace.com/hereliesnuggetband
Personally I find adding slightly more middle to the channel of the amp helps a bit. Obviously depends on what settings you're already using.
what amp are you using? your picking attack has a bearing on the sound as well. a delay can fatten up the sound as well. keep in mind that studio tracks may have the solos double tracked for a fatter sound as well.
The RG will never have the fullness of a 22 fret strat. i have 2 RGs and an american strat (22frets) and the neck pickups of the ibanez guitars will never have that fullness of my strat's neck humbucker because they are 24 fret guitars
Thanks, guys.

I had been using the bridge pickup, and I had forgotten about compressor pedals.

Is there anything near-Diamond in quality and features at a more affordable price?

My amp is a Marshall MG15FX.

@gman28: Thanks, I'll have to look into that. The Alvarez is a 22-fret guitar, but only has a single-coil on the neck (and it's crazy "Tri-Force" on the bridge).
Last edited by th3rtythr33 at Jul 9, 2011,
Your settings are obviously the biggest factor (treble, middle and bass) so make sure you're not cancelling anything out and you're feeding off each other. In a radical example, if you had bass at 0 there is no realistic way someone that knew EQ would have treble down as it's on the other spectrum.

For solos you definitely want mids, it cuts through through the other frequencies. Besides that a touch of delay always helps with solos too, I was adamant for years of playing "dry" until hitting music school and finding out that yeah, a touch of delay on a solo just lifts it up completely.

That's about it man, don't be drastic with the EQ and maybe a touch of delay.
*shrugs* I don't know...
I'll also have to look up this whole picking attack thing... I have no idea what that means. I've played with the EQ to no avail, but I will play with it some more. I'll add some delay as well.

Thanks so much for all the quick replies!
thicker strings help immensely.
"When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die"
It might be the guitar and the amp.

The MG15 is a really thin, cold sounding amp, and single coils are pretty thin sounding.
Cranking the mids slightly, adding a bit of reverb and some subtle delay are quick-fix solutions regarding the amp sound.
Neck pickup, roll the tone control back slightly if your guitar is quite a bright-toned one, up your mids. In fact having an additional mid boost is very common for solos.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
single coils are pretty thin sounding.

That's not true at all.

The reason your tone is thin is because you're playing through a pretty poor low wattage solid state amp. That's it.

I don't think there's much point buying a good quality compressor pedal or boost pedal, and using it in front of that amp. It would probably be more beneficial to you to save that money towrad a better amp.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
The recording sounds so deep and musical…

Recordings usually have multiple instances of the guitar parts layered together to give it them a fuller sound. Axl really pushed for this on every GnR record; the guitar part is really two to four different recordings all playing at once. To get the same thing live you can use multiple amps, chorus effects, delay, reverb, etc. etc.