Page 1 of 2
Hey UG!!

So, today, I was playing some guitar (odd.. no one ever talks about that in this forum...) and I was playing with my vypyr and I realized I could really just LIKE some tones but I'd never "fall in love" with any of them.

I just kept changing it cause it never satisfied me.

So, I want to know if you are ever 100% satisfied with tone. Is that possible!?

I know I'll be 90% satisfied with tone when I get a Rockerverb 50 Head!

Cheers!
Gibson Firebird 70s Tribute
Orange TH30
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Big Muff Pi
I'm quite satisfied with the tone I get now, yet I constantly find myself wanting more pedals.
Yes I adored my tone, then I sold the amp

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I think its a neverending thirst, never to be satisfied..
If you start diggin a tone, you find yourself wanting more and more.
It's human to never be satisfied a hundred percent as long as you enjoy the 90 percent..
Remember, no one is perfect..
Different tones are used for different situations. If I get the right one, I find it very hard to stop playing.
I suppose a lot of people are in the boat you are, I know I am. I can't ever find that "perfect" tone.

One day, I'll think its perfect, and I'll leave everything the way it is, maybe write it down or save it, a couple days later I find problems with it and end up tweaking it some more, sometimes just starting over.

Its a never ending battle, im never satisfied. 100% anyway
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by Vypor
I suppose a lot of people are in the boat you are, I know I am. I can't ever find that "perfect" tone.

One day, I'll think its perfect, and I'll leave everything the way it is, maybe write it down or save it, a couple days later I find problems with it and end up tweaking it some more, sometimes just starting over.

Its a never ending battle, im never satisfied. 100% anyway

Same here. But, thats the joy of playing, everyday you do something different LOL.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
i liked my tone until i recorded myself.....then i hated my tone and am trying to fix it, im just hoping its my ipod mike and more than likely it is.
MAYBE I DO WISH THEY WOULD MAKE A 8 STRING DAISY ROCK GUITAR!!! OK SO!!

Quote by xSacrilegex
I hate old metal, I hate British metal.

Quote by Ninja Vampirate
motherfucker i'd fuck that nigga's bitch ass up
I think my tone's pretty good. But I always want to improve it by constantly messing with the EQ. I seem to change my EQ like every other day. Sometimes I love a tone I get, but the next day I'm like, "What was I thinking?".

The closest time I was 100% satisfied with a guitar tone was when I tried a Mesa/Boogie Mark V. Great amp right there.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
im pretty much 100% there with the tone from my lead channel of my peabey 6534+, but the clean channel needs teh effects pedulz
i always feel it can be better, but that's not to say I'm not happy with my tone. messing around with the amp and effects is always great fun.
My tone is f*cking amazing when my amp is set at a high volume and the power amp tubes start to kick in on top of my Jekyll and Hyde, but normally, my tone just sounds good, but not BEAUTIFUL.

College is gonna suck for playing loud
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

I'm still looking for an amp I like more than my Rectifier.. extremely happy with my tone.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
My clean sound could be better, but my distortion is balls to the wall awesome, though I tend to play around with subtle flange/phase to thicken the tone up.
"Did you ever find Bugs Bunny attractive when he put on a dress and played a girl bunny?"

"No..." [laughs, then more emphatically] "No."

"Oh, me neither, man, I was just asking."
No... not with my current setup. I can get some good tones, but not for the quality I want for recording, nor the diversity. When I get an AxeFX II, I'll then be able to spend 10 straight hours getting the tone I want instead of positioning the microphone and amp...
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by SupahStrat
Hey UG!!

So, today, I was playing some guitar (odd.. no one ever talks about that in this forum...) and I was playing with my vypyr and I realized I could really just LIKE some tones but I'd never "fall in love" with any of them.

I just kept changing it cause it never satisfied me.

So, I want to know if you are ever 100% satisfied with tone. Is that possible!?

I know I'll be 90% satisfied with tone when I get a Rockerverb 50 Head!

Cheers!
That's why people go through a lot of amps! Right now I'm GASing for a Diezel Hagen, which has the potential to replace my beloved VH4 if the reviews, videos, and clips are anywhere close to the real thing.

one day im satisfied, next day i hate it. that continues as a cycle, so i am never satisfied.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I've realized I'm happier when I can play something new with usable tone than when I play something old or trite with great tone. So I've stopped buying gear. I'm dedicating myself to learning less about amps and effects and learning more about, you know, playing guitar.
I wasn't, until I started using an EQ, mixed and matched preamp tubes until I had a combination I liked, and put in a better speaker. Sounds like a lot of work, but it was a Chinese 6505+, there was much room for upgrades.

Now I love my tone. It's not perfect, but definitely good enough for me to enjoy playing and learning.
I am. Finally nailed my low-gain/edge-of-breakup sound with my new Jet City, and I love playing around with it. While my EQ may not stay the exact same as I tweak it for the room or whatever, my overall sound has stayed the same for a few months.
Yeah I'm still not satisfied and of course have tons sunk into gear like most people. GASing for an ENGL Savage though, my Krankenstein just isn't cutting it anymore.
I'm pretty happy with most tones I get from my set up. I'm never looking for a better tone. I'm happy with whatever comes out my rig. If I'm not completely happy with it, it'll take the best part of a minute to find something that is totally awesome. I am pretty against pedals. Especially overdrive pedals. I just have my volume down on my guitar and then when it's solo time I just turn up on my guitar.
Although I like my tone there is always room for improvment, That makes me sell great gear and buy ****, so the room for improvment gets bigger and bigger
Misha

Music Man Axis Super Sport
Diezel Einstein 100, Sparrow's Sons 2X12
i'm 100% in love with the clean sounds I get out of my Fender amps (bassman and Twin)
I'd say I'm 90% with my orange AD30's overdrive/crunch, and I never need more than that.

As for the clean though, won't need to change it, I don't need any other amp anyways. A few guitars, but these ones are all I need =)
One day I'll love it, pick up my guitar tomorrow and I'll probably spend the best part of an hour fiddling with the EQ to find ''that tone'' again
I'm 90% satisfied with my distortion rhythm tone, but only like 50% with my cleans because I don't have a pedalboard anymore so no chorus, delay, compressor etc.
My tone from my Raven is alright, but I'll be satisfied when I get a Mesa/Boogie Mark V or Dual Rec. The tone out of those is incredible. Go listen to Scale the Summit if you need proof. :P
Not really, I have like 10 different individual tones I enjoy getting. All are usually drastically different from one another.

Like Thrash Metal tone doesn't sound like Stoner Doom doesn't sound like Jazz, etc.
i think tone is something we endlessly chase but never catch. and it's the thrill of the chase that makes us do it. once you reach "that tone" you eventually get bored with it. then what?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Never it's an endless quest.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Page 1 of 2