So, I just bought one these amazing SR505s and I love it. My only problem is that the wood is quite soft and seems that it would fade quickly with regular playing. How would I go about making sure this beautiful bass stays as beautiful as the day I bought it?

Looking after it is the obvious answer, but I intend to play gigs with this in my band, and knocks and scratches occur.
Quote by bananahammock
How many mods does it take ban half of the pit?
one, Carmel.

▼▼▼▼▼▼
▼▼ ▲ ▲▼▼
▼▼▼▼
▲ ▲▲ ▲
If your intending to play gigs with this bass, the best possible alternative to keeping it in pristine condition is to buy another one, for not playing on stage.

Soundgears are reliable basses though, their meant to be taken on the road.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
You can't really.

It's mahogany, which isn't really soft. I agree they feel soft which is weird, but they're very durable.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90

It's mahogany, which isn't really soft. I agree they feel soft which is weird, but they're very durable.

This.

I have a friend that has gig'd an sr505 since the late 90's. Tons of shows. Tons of tours. Lots of bumbs and drops along the way. It loooooks kinda rough, but still sounds and plays amazingly. And THAT is what matters most.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
It's the finish that's soft, not the wood. But yeah there's not a lot you can do to keep it pristine if you want to actually use it. I don't think I've ever seen anyone who's had a a 500 series SR for a decent period of time without some kind of horrible ding.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Never seen a SR without dings or scratches.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
why are you bothered?

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by dark Mass
Never seen a SR without dings or scratches.

My 700 is still almost perfect. Havn't gigged it yet though.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

Dings, scratches and such are marks of a well played and well loved bass. Each has its story and makes the instrument your own.
Quote by gilly_90
My 700 is still almost perfect. Havn't gigged it yet though.

It'll get dinged up trust me.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by dark Mass
It'll get dinged up trust me.

not sure if want
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Quote by gilly_90
not sure if want

Surely will, it will.