So I've always wanted to build a guitar, but I don't have the funds, nor some of the tools to do so. So I was thinking, should I buy some cheap beat up old guitar and fix it up? I was thinking some super-strat kind of guitar, sand and round out the edges (Is that possible) ala Joe Satriani, and Paint the whole thing chrome? And if the wood isn't any good tonally, throw some EMG's in because apparantly they "kill the sound of your tone wood", though I think thats a total myth? So is this worth a try sometime when I get some money? Or would it suck just as bad and look pretty?

TL;DR: I want to mock up a JS when I have money? Should I do it?

Was hoping for an outcome along the lines of this one:

Where's Waldo?
after buying quality parts to fix up said beaten up guitar it would almost be like assembling your own.
Quote by king bun bun
after buying quality parts to fix up said beaten up guitar it would almost be like assembling your own.

Not quite, because I do not have items like a band saw, which would cost me money, or I could buy a $300 body from Warmoth, and another $200 on a neck, whereas I could buy an old guitar for say 200 or 300 for both the body and neck.
Where's Waldo?
You'll never get the chrome effect with paint. But other than that, it's the best first step in my opinion for building guitars. Most of the stuff I learned about refinishing a guitar is stuff I did on an old beat up guitar.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
Quote by GunsNSnakepits
You'll never get the chrome effect with paint. But other than that, it's the best first step in my opinion for building guitars. Most of the stuff I learned about refinishing a guitar is stuff I did on an old beat up guitar.

Yeah thats kind of why I wanted to fix one and refinish. And do you have any idea how they go about chroming a guitar? Cause paint was a lot cheaper than anything I can think of.
Where's Waldo?
buying a vintage guitar or an old guitar to fix is an okay idea but if the guitar is somewhat uncommon and original your fixing it up will remove its value. the money you spend on fixing one up would be equal to buying a better quality built instrument now.
Last edited by king bun bun at Jul 9, 2011,
Quote by king bun bun
buying a vintage guitar or an old guitar to fix is an okay idea but if the guitar is somewhat uncommon and original your fixing it up will remove its value. the money you spend on fixing one up would be equal to buying a better quality built instrument now.

I do understand that I could get a better instrument for the same price, but its kind of the experience and pride you take in the instrument that makes me want to do this.
Where's Waldo?
check out the link in my sig, it will help for some of the tools/fund issues =)
i am about to start my second build. they arent perfect, but i barely spent any money, have very few tools, and im happy with it!
Quote by xadioriderx
check out the link in my sig, it will help for some of the tools/fund issues =)
i am about to start my second build. they arent perfect, but i barely spent any money, have very few tools, and im happy with it!

Thanks man, that might open a few possibilities.
Where's Waldo?
I say get a cheapo. I redid a cheap Ibanez and it was great. You will get good experience with paint out of it.
I'd recommed getting a squier, they sell a shitload of them which means they can afford better quality at chepo prices vs. other crappy cheap guitars. Also I can speak for agile guitars, I've got an AS-820 and I love it, really really great playing guitar. My brother had an SX strat for a while too and the finish was massively thick, but it was smooth as glass (classic poly-ness). The frets were smooth and overly all it seemed to be of fairly good quality although it could have used a set up.