I have been working for the better half of today trying to set up my Tascam US-122MKII Audio Interface. I am also running Cubase LE 5 for recording software, and I am just having a boatload of troubles. I have googled for hours and read the manual and fiddled around with stuff myself. I will try and give as much information as possible hopefully someone can help.

Currently I have my guitar run through my wah pedal, a Boss distortion pedal, and a Boss Equalizer pedal, then into the line in on my audio interface. Then the interface is connected into my laptop via USB. I can here very some output from my laptop speakers coming from my guitar but it sounds quiet and absolutely awful tone wise, just sounds like garbage. I have fiddles around with levels on the interface to no avail the sound doesn't. Earlier I had my laptop speakers output go through my amp for better sound it it sounded great, however now when I plug an cord into the headphone jack of my laptop and into my amp I get absolutely no sound of my guitar playing, and I had just done it earlier. It's not the jack or cord that's damaged as I can get other sounds such as music through itunes to play through fine.

So I don't really know what is going on and I don't really know if this is the right information to give to someone to help me troubleshoot, but I am really hoping someone can help me figure out
a) why the input sounds like crap
b) why am i not getting any output of my guitar to go to the amp
c) just general help with settin up an audio interface for a quality recording.

Hopefully I have explained myself well enough but if something is unclear lemme know and I will try to clarify. Thanks for any help in advance.
Quote by andy_thomas
Were you by any chance, exposing your scrotum to an open flame?
Last edited by Imalius at Jul 10, 2011,
*facepalm* Damn, my mind is soo bogged up from staring at my computer all day and I spell interface wrong.
Quote by andy_thomas
Were you by any chance, exposing your scrotum to an open flame?
Ok, so first off, I feel like you don’t really know the purpose of an interface. An interface is not like a digital amp; it won’t ‘create’ the guitar tone for you. You need VSt’s to do that. Interfaces are only there so that you can record your guitar (pickup)’s dry signal, so you can process it with a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW, like Reaper, Cubase (which you have) or ProTools).

Secondly, you are running your guitar through pedals into your interface. This is not a proper way to get good tone. You don’t want those pedals in front of your recording signal, this will muddy up the sound. This is probably why you don’t get good tone. Try downloading each separate effect as a VST, and then add them as FX in your DAW on your recording tracks.

Thirdly, check if there is an “instrument input” on your interface. If not, then you’re probably screwed on the volume levels – I think Line In plugs are only when you want to directly record your amp/head etc (provided that the amp has a line out plug). If there IS an instrument input, this should solve your problems with inaudible guitar volume.

I’m not sure how (and more importantly, really, WHY) you want to connect your interface to your amp for sound, and what exactly you did with your laptop in the progress. What interface are you using in the first place?

I hope this helps 