well well, I'm getting a new marshall STRAIGHT METAL F*CKERS!, and I mean I don't care about cleans, just vintage british brutal high gain

why marshall?, because I want one my options are: marshall jvm 210 and tsl 602, jcm's arent an option because of disponibility on my country, wich one has more gain? wich one could achieve thrash?
maybe some more modern metal like lamb of god or even in flames? thanks in advance
-Dean Dave mustaine vmnt
-Ibanez Rg550 90'
Jvm410c
IFUCKINLOVEMARTYFRIEDMAN
Quote by ArkanRg
why marshall?, because I want one

Sir, I think I found the leak!
Where's Waldo?
why? Im REALLY GASin a marshall
-Dean Dave mustaine vmnt
-Ibanez Rg550 90'
Jvm410c
IFUCKINLOVEMARTYFRIEDMAN
Quote by ArkanRg
why? Im REALLY GASin a marshall

Dont ever buy anything based on a name, ever. Only buy a Marshall if you really want the Marshall tone, and being that Lamb of God uses Mesa's, you probably don't necessarily want a Marshall tone. That being said, I don't know if you posted a budget (probably not enough for a Mesa) but look into other amps rather than saying you want a Marshall based on the logic that its a Marshall. Sorry if that came across strong. =p
Where's Waldo?
don't get me wrong I love masrhall tone, that's why I want to get one, I know these amps can deliver good mid gain tone but I want to know wich one is more suitable for metal
-Dean Dave mustaine vmnt
-Ibanez Rg550 90'
Jvm410c
IFUCKINLOVEMARTYFRIEDMAN
Ok, well then get a Marshall if that's the tone you're looking for. As for the two you've listed, and being that tone is in the ear of the beholder, you should play them both and see which one is better. As for which one has more gain, I'd think that the JVM does, but I have no actual information on that.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by ArkanRg
vintage brutal high gain

Does not compute.

Lamb Of God and In Flames both use modern voiced high gain amps (Mesa Mark IV and Peavey 6505)
You won't be able to get either of those tones from a JVM or a TSL. The JVM and TSL are both fairly bland and fizzy IMO.
If you're really set on a Marshall for metal, the JCM800KK (the Kerry King signature head) would be the way to go, but for the tones you want you'd be better off to look elsewhere.
^Wow, got ninja'd. Well, at least I'm sharing the same opinion
Quote by chadreed32
Ok, well then get a Marshall if that's the tone you're looking for. As for the two you've listed, and being that tone is in the ear of the beholder, you should play them both and see which one is better. As for which one has more gain, I'd think that the JVM does, but I have no actual information on that.

The JVM has a lot more distortion available than DSL does. To me, that amount of distortion makes the amp loose the feel of a Marshall. I like JCM800/900 a lot more than these new Marshall JCM2000's (DSLs/TSLs) or JVMs. Also why I don't like JVMs is that they're "hard" to use. Well.. Not they're not that complicated but still, JCM800 is much simpler.
TS, you should probably check out the Marshall 2203KK head. It has a built-in noise gate, which is really good and then it also has more assault (gain) available than the original JCM800 while still having the feel of a Marshall. It also has KT88's in the power section, which really make me feel that the sound is totally dealt. That's what Kerry King has said too.
But, if you're seriously more after a modern metal tone, then you better look elsewhere. ENGL Fireball, Peavey 6505, Mesa Dual Rectifier/Mark IV are really good heads too, just not Marshall, but probably better for the modern metal.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Jul 10, 2011,
Does the JVM210 have as much gain on tap as the 410? I wouldn't think so... The 210 always strikes me as a mid-to-mediumhigh gain amp.

I know that when people think "metal" in terms of Marshalls its usually boosted JCM800s and JVMs.
Last edited by Seref at Jul 10, 2011,
Want classic Marshall metal tone? Buy a Blackstar Series One, a Saldano SLO, a Splawn Nitro, etc. They all do the "hotrodded Marshall" tone better than any modern Marshall, imo.

You could also try looking into a Marshall clone like a Ceriatone. There are a couple other companies that make very good clones, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Want classic Marshall metal tone? Buy a Blackstar Series One, a Saldano SLO, a Splawn Nitro, etc. They all do the "hotrodded Marshall" tone better than any modern Marshall, imo.

You could also try looking into a Marshall clone like a Ceriatone. There are a couple other companies that make very good clones, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

JCA100H sounds a whole hell of a lot an SLO could be Mike Soldano designed it as an affordable mass production amp.

JCA100 based on SLO based on Plexi

/thread
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Quote by GS LEAD 5
I think TS wants a Splawn......

No, it is I who wants a Splawn.
Where's Waldo?
i was told recently by a sales assistant in a music shop that the jvm is more of a classic tone, where as the tsl is more of a modern sounding amp..

dunno if that helps much. go play them and see which you like the most
MD5K
IBANEZ
Quote by Willowthewitch
JCA100H sounds a whole hell of a lot an SLO could be Mike Soldano designed it as an affordable mass production amp.

/thread

The SLO is about as close to a plexi as a Mesa Boogie Mk is to a Fender BF.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 10, 2011,
Don't forget the Marshall MG... you can't go wrong with the CRUSHING OVERDRIVEEEEE!

Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Yeah, buy an MG! That will suit you very well. Zakk Wylde uses one!

idiot
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Jul 10, 2011,
Quote by LP_CL
Yeah, buy an MG! That will suit you very well. Zakk Wylde uses one!

idiot

Quote by ragingkitty

Sarcasm, if it wasn't immediately evident

idiot
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
the jvm is alright, but it doesn't have crushing overdrive so...
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
The 602 is pretty lazy and fizzy.......
Quote by al112987

Nnnnnnno.

Mike's first Super Lead Overdrive circuits were based on Super Lead Plexis. Mike started his career modding amps, usually Plexis and JCM800s. When he decided to start designing amps, he went with what was basically his modded circuits which were hot-rodded Marshalls.

The schematic changed over time to be a bit more American in tone, but the schematic still clearly has its roots in British amps.
Quote by Seref
Nnnnnnno.

Mike's first Super Lead Overdrive circuits were based on Super Lead Plexis. Mike started his career modding amps, usually Plexis and JCM800s. When he decided to start designing amps, he went with what was basically his modded circuits which were hot-rodded Marshalls.

The schematic changed over time to be a bit more American in tone, but the schematic still clearly has its roots in British amps.

sure but in al's defense, the SLO isn't really a clear clone of any marshall circuit past or present. it's truly mike's own beast for the most part. i see what you mean, and i'm not a EE or amp tech but from what i can tell anywho.

so what al's saying is true in the literal sense he intended it. i agree with him.

whenever people say the SLO is a M-clone, it's not really.

Splawns now on the other hand are probably a lot closer.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jul 10, 2011,
Quote by Willowthewitch

/thread

The JCA100 is a nice sounding amp, but there are very distinct differences in tone between a SLO and a JCA100. Also, I've always thought of the SLO as sounding more like a hot-rodded 800 than a plexi, but that's just my ears.

Quote by al112987

+1

And to protect my own ass from any n00bs that want to argue, I said that a SLO does a hot-rodded Marshall sound better than any modern Marshall. Nowhere did I say that it was based off a Marshall circuit (which, technically I guess it is somewhat based on an old hot-rodded Marshall).
Quote by Seref
Nnnnnnno.

Every play with Mad Libs as a child? You'll like this one.

Randall Smith's
first Mesa Boogie circuits were based on a Fender Bassman . Randall started his career modding amps, usually Fender combos. When he decided to start designing amps, he went with what was basically his modded circuits which were hot-rodded Fenders.

Interesting...
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 10, 2011,
well should a mesa boogie double rectifier 2x12 or a krank krankestein be better, and wich one IS better for my style?
-Dean Dave mustaine vmnt
-Ibanez Rg550 90'
Jvm410c
IFUCKINLOVEMARTYFRIEDMAN
the slo really doesn't have all that much in common with any marshall circuit.

also ts you should go try out some amps.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by ArkanRg
well should a mesa boogie double rectifier 2x12 or a krank krankestein be better, and wich one IS better for my style?

If you can afford the Mesa, get it.
Where's Waldo?
best marshall?

2203 with a TS9 infront. Brutality. (see: new sylosis album)
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Quote by littlephil
Does not compute.

Lamb Of God and In Flames both use modern voiced high gain amps (Mesa Mark IV and Peavey 6505)
You won't be able to get either of those tones from a JVM or a TSL. The JVM and TSL are both fairly bland and fizzy IMO.

+1
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X