Well, I want to start recording, but I am not looking for a "professional" sound. I am new to this whole recording stuff. haha I heard Reaper is a good program to use to get started. I also heard I should use ezdrummer for reaper to make my own drum beats. Should I start with those? Or are there better options? And also, how would I be able to record my guitar? Do I need something to plug my guitar into before I connect it to the computer? Or do I just buy like a mic jack and plug my guitar into that and connect it to the computer? And will the reaper program have like different tones for the guitar? Sorry for all the questions. But thanks to those who help me.
Reaper and EZDrummer are good, especially for just starting. With guitar your going to need an interface, I recommend the M-Audio Fast Track its probably the cheapest you can find ($100) and it does the job. As for effects you can check out this thread which will teach you how to get a decent sounding tone for free. But I would recommend spending a few extra bucks on Guitar Rig.

Also you are going to need bass and if you don't have a bass guitar you might want to search around. For my bass, I use a vst that came with FL studios called BooBass. Just search around and you might be able to find some bass samples you can use.

Another thing that is nice to have is some headphones. I use $60 skullcandy headphones and they do the job. Without headphones it will be harder to mix because you won't be able to hear the bass very well and get the right levels.
I think it could depend largely on your writing process; how you decide to start off. -and you would want a basic recording interface, like the mbox series, which you can get in a kit that comes with everything you need. Just search for them on musiciansfriend, there are a few.

You basically want guitar->interface->guitar effects on computer->recording software.
I think the light version of powertools that comes with the mbox kit might have on-board effects. It's worth looking into. If not, it isn't hard to find other software to do it. Plus, this is one of the simplest setups you can use by far.

As for the drum parts, there's a wide variety of software out there, and I haven't the faintest idea what is best, and I will leave that to other repliers.

Good luck, mate!
Maybe you would be better off with a guitar effects processor like Digitech's RP-155 Modelling Guitar Processor £49.99!,
complete with 20 Second looper, 83 Amps, cabinets, stompboxes and effects, 23 Amp/Acoustic Types, 12 Cabinet Types, Lexicon? Reverbs, 30 Tone and 30 Effects Libraries, 100 presets (50 factory, 50 user), Up to 5 seconds of delay time, 24-bit 44.1kHz sample rate, 60 High quality drum patterns, 2 x 2 USB audio streaming, USB editing via DigiTech X-Edit, Independent ?" Left and Right Outputs, Amp / Mixer switch optimizes ? outputs for amps and mixers, Stereo 1/8" headphone output, Built-in chromatic tuner, Durable die-cast chassis, Power supply included.

basically you can plug this in via USB into Reaper (free) and your sorted! EZdrummer great sounds, great starting point!

some guitar effects units like Zoom G2Nu(£99.00) come bundled with Cubase LE4 which I think has the distortion plug in which is basically Cubase's own amp simulator. Cubase LE4 also has vb1 (virtual bass) so you can do half decent MIDI bass within Cubase.
Alright, so I will need a M-Audio Fast Track to get sound from my guitar and to record it? Like I am just looking to record a distortion and clean tones. Any other tones or effects are a bonus to me. haha I found this one http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/m-audio-fast-track-mkii-usb-audio-interface

Will reaper work with that? And Dang. I was hoping for like the ezdrummer software to have bass samples I could use. haha Although, I heard of a trick in making the guitar sound like a bass on reaper. Not too sure about that though.

And I couldn't find what you were talking about. I searched it on musiciansfriend website and got no matches. And let me get this straight. The reaper software is for mixing, correct? Like layer all the recording I done. And the M-Audio Fast Track is so I can get tones like from my amp onto the computer? And thanks guys for helping me out. I just don't want to buy the wrong stuff. I'm tight on money and I am trying to use it wisely and buy the correct things. haha Thanks all for the help! I really appreciate it!
A Line 6 UX1 or UX2 will pretty much have you set for recording, it also comes with POD Farm so there'll be plenty of tones. And the way it works is you record straight through the interface without using your amp.

Quote by guitarocker100
Reaper and EZDrummer are good, especially for just starting. With guitar your going to need an interface, I recommend the M-Audio Fast Track its probably the cheapest you can find ($100) and it does the job. As for effects you can check out this thread which will teach you how to get a decent sounding tone for free. But I would recommend spending a few extra bucks on Guitar Rig.

Also you are going to need bass and if you don't have a bass guitar you might want to search around. For my bass, I use a vst that came with FL studios called BooBass. Just search around and you might be able to find some bass samples you can use.

Another thing that is nice to have is some headphones. I use $60 skullcandy headphones and they do the job. Without headphones it will be harder to mix because you won't be able to hear the bass very well and get the right levels.

Recording with Skullcandy headphones sound like a pretty bad idea, I've never used them but I'm fairly sure that they'd enhance the bass far too much.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
Thank you all for the help! I got a better understanding of this now. I guess, I will get the Digitech's RP-155 for my guitar. (mainly because it's cheaper).And seems fairly easy to use. haha
Quote by iSlash
A Line 6 UX1 or UX2 will pretty much have you set for recording, it also comes with POD Farm so there'll be plenty of tones. And the way it works is you record straight through the interface without using your amp.

Recording with Skullcandy headphones sound like a pretty bad idea, I've never used them but I'm fairly sure that they'd enhance the bass far too much.

Yeah their definitely not the greatest. But they are much better than crappy ear phones or computer speakers.
Im guessing that EZdrummer and Reaper are free downloadable software online right? So the only thing i'd have to purchase would be some type of guitar processor?

Is it possible to record a music video and upload it to my computer then use this recording software like reaper and my guitar processor to kinda master the recorded sound of the music video I shot?

I want to make a music video and upload it to youtube but I want superb quality sound.

thx
Quote by SeanDougi
Im guessing that EZdrummer and Reaper are free downloadable software online right?

EzDrummer isn't free. Its $150. Even then, there are better programs like addictive drums
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Got a wonderful trick for bass:

Use the guitar pro sound. Boost the 60-80 khz frequencies. Sounds pretty good.

About Skull Candy's , I agree. in My case, I got one that doesn't have enough bass, so I higher the bass, that messes up the mix. So I tend to use both headsets and big monitors to control the mix a bit.
The symphonizer