It's about time I changed my pickups in my Les Paul. The stock pups are EMG-HZ (that's why I'm changing them). I've been looking at Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and a '59 in the neck, but I've also heard good things about Dimarzio humbuckers.

I'm looking for creamy cleans in the neck pickup, but can also handle some rhythm crunching, and hot leads in the bridge but is also capable of sparkling cleans. I've heard that Dimarzio aren't as ''disorted/in your face'' as much as SD, which is why I'm looking into them. Could anyone recommend a set of Dizmario or any thoughts on the SD set?

Cheers
i think the 59 in the neck would work well actually. Some people here might recommend something other than the JB though, depending on the style of music. Any bands you could name to give a better reference to the tone you are looking for?

Also, sorry to threadjack here, but maybe it will help you, im looking to upgrade from HZs as well and have pretty much decided on a '59 for the neck. A friend is selling a SD tb-4 for cheap. Anyone got experience with it?
I'm looking for the kind of trebly, searing Jimmy Page kind of bridge pickup but not over the top, in your face distortion. For the neck, something along the lines of Slash's tone, a rich, thick, creamy clean tone but can also handle some heavier rhythm work.
Quote by Haydenr25
I'm looking for the kind of trebly, searing Jimmy Page kind of bridge pickup but not over the top, in your face distortion. For the neck, something along the lines of Slash's tone, a rich, thick, creamy clean tone but can also handle some heavier rhythm work.

That sounds like the job for the SD Custom and Alnico II Pro setup.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
I have a '59 in the neck position on my Flying V, it's a very creamy and smooth pickup. The only drawback is how bassy it can be, it took me awhile to get the pickup height right to kill some of the bass while keeping the nice tone it gives. It gets a little muddy with distortion but it's acceptable. I mainly use it for lead work since it responds quite well to the tone knob and breaks up a little when you bite down on the pick. On the clean channel it sounds very nice as well, just gotta watch the bass
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]