Hi.

Yep, it's yet another one of my odd threads that i inevitably fail at explaining what kind of advice i'm looking for and get a load of strange responses from confused people.

My main gigging amp at the moment is an old laney VC30, which i've upgraded with a celestion G12H30. I'm happy with the sound and don't want/need to change it, however i get the feeling i will need to upgrade it in the not too distant future as a result of build quality shortcomings, not because of the tone.

i'm not looking to upgrade just now, and i will likely be looking into getting something in the £1000-£2000 range when i do but if it exceeds that it's not a huge problem since i can wait longer and save up more.

Basically, what i'm looking for is a better quality version of the same amp! does such a thing exist, and/or what other alternatives are there, that i should check out?

Please, do not suggest a vox AC30, i already know it's not what i'm looking for, because contrary to popular belief it's actually not all that similar to a VC30 at all
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
When you say build quality; what about the build are you concerned by?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you are happy with what you have, why change it? What are the shortcomings of it exactly?
Well, you can always get the schem, and go to an amp-builder of your choice...

But like Cathbard said, what's the problem with your VC30? If there really are shortcomings, maybe they can be fixed?
lionheart, maybe. though it's not exactly the same.

but as they're saying, what are the shortcomings?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well, i think the amp is basically vibrating itself to pieces - it just doesn't seem like it's constructed solidly enough to handle regular gigs.

i'm having a lot of problems with mechanical vibrations, at the moment i have a high pitch metallic rattling that sort of rattles at a low frequency, every time i go and tighten everything in the back of the amp it stops until i have the amp turned loud for about 20 minutes where it comes back gradually, and there's also a particularly bad metallic resonance at the same pitch as the high E string in standard tuning that i swear is coming from the metal plate that houses the controls...

none of the sounds are coming from the speaker.

bare in mind that mine is an older model, which was made when they were a lot cheaper - perhaps the build quality has improved since the price has gone up?

edit: now, i've just spent the last 45 minutes or so trying to get to the bottom of the rattling problems, and i turned the amp around with the speaker facing the wall, and it seems like the worst of the rattling is coming from the power tube sockets, which kind of explains why it was coming back after 20 minutes or so no matter what i did. so that's the main problem - tube-rattle.

there's also one of those weird resonances at C instead of E now, an absolutely horrible one that i can't quite put my finger on where it is coming from. and the handle rattles on its hinges, too.

another thing i forgot to add: the lionheart control panel sure looks familiar. judging by the sound clips available on the laney site (grr, multi-tracked full arrangements? utterly useless to anyone, especially when they double track the guitars) it's pretty similar, "track 4" is actually pretty close to the kind of sound i'm getting from my VC30. G12H heritage speakers, too? nice if it takes pedals like the VC30 it's quite likely that's what i'll save up my money for...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Last edited by Blompcube at Jul 10, 2011,
yeah when i've tried the lionhearts my first thoughts were that they sounded like a "better" vc series. though being single-ended class a (or parallel single-ended) they're probably not going to sound identical, even when cranked.

plus i haven't tried them extensively at higher volumes, they may rattle too (though from what i can remember i thought the vc30 didn't really rattle at high volumes, but again that was in a quick run-through in a shop).

also only 20 watts rather than 30, so you might not have enough headroom. there's a new 50 watter coming out, but haven't tried it yet

if you really want to push the boat out you could consider something a bit dearer... cornford hurricane is pretty nice (bit more modern-sounding, but still in the same ballpark, single channel, though), or somebody like martamp/mjw (or any number of other small makers) could do you something in the vox ballpark too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i think i can probably try a lionheart at some point, one of my local shops seems to have a regular stock of everything in laney's product range. 20 watts actually seems a bit more appealing than 30 watts - i want to be able to push the power tubes just that little bit harder than i'm able to with my VC30 without drowning everything out.

I've tried some hiwatts, which were a somewhat similar voicing but the drive was a bit more gritty - still, pretty nice and not too much of a huge change - about the most i'll tolerate. having said that i wouldn't be able to resist a matchless, but even when saving up for a long time i probably won't be able to get one of those too easily..

the rattling i'm getting from my VC30 is far from normal though, and i really hope there's a way to sort it, because that'd definitely make the inevitable upgrade a bit less urgent... i'll be taking it to an amp tech tomorrow though, probably.

ah yeah, in that case don't do anything until you see what the tech says.

now you mention it, the hiwatt studio/stage 20/40 (think that's the model name) did do that type of tone too.

very expensive, though- i liked it a lot but i'm not sure it was worth £1500.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Lionheart 4x10" combo sounds gorgeous... maybe not what you're looking for if you use heavier distortion sounds.

But maybe a couple of hours in a tech's shop would fix all your problems.
@dave_mc: yeah, that's the model i tried that i quite liked (i think it was a studio/stage mkII). it had the same kind of voicing but with a bit more of an aggressive quality to the overdrive. although i'm told, by none other than the people who were trying to sell it to me that it can sound a bit messy with dirt pedals on an overdriven setting, which was a bit of a turn off. i appreciate the honesty but i guess i'd have to try it myself rather than take their word for it

@quailman: i think i have failed to make my intentions clear - i suck at making threads i plan to upgrade my amp at some point in the not too distant future, but i'm not in any particular rush. if i can get all the problems with my current amp sorted it's just delaying the inevitable, really

Last edited by Blompcube at Jul 10, 2011,
ah ok. yeah that'd put me off to at £1500
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i took my amp into the shop but the tech won't be there until.. hmm.. a couple of days before my next gig, and that doesn't even mean he's gonna get it sorted. he has a big backlog of work to do as a result of not doing much of it

the guys in the shop said something about tube filaments breaking off and rattling around inside the tube? but surely that would affect the tone in a negative way as well as creating buzzing sounds coming from the back of the amp?