I'm just starting to learn a bit of piano, thought I'd start with something "easy". Chopin's Prelude Opus 28, no. 20. The top line shows treble clef, the bottom line bass clef. I understand that, right and left hand respectively. But the top line also shows a small bass clef (circled in red) just after the standard timing. What does this mean?

1998 Ibanez Prestige S2540
2005 Ibanez RG570
Bugera 333XL 212 Combo
The top and bottom line do NOT symbolize treble and bass clefs, but the left and right hand.

In this case, pretend the top line is played in bass but with your right hand (so that the top three notes of the first chord in the right hand is C Eb G).

Note: some pieces of music don't use the Bass or Treble clef. There are many other clefs like the Alto clef, Tenor, etc. just remember that the top and bottom only mean different hands.

Hope this helps.
~Max Guan
Ok thanks guys. So both hands are written in bass clef up until mid 4th measure? I'm not exactly sure why it would switch at that point, I certainly see no reason to.
1998 Ibanez Prestige S2540
2005 Ibanez RG570
Bugera 333XL 212 Combo
the composer didn't want to note all the ledger lines required to write some of the lower notes.
Quote by YngwieLi
Ok thanks guys. So both hands are written in bass clef up until mid 4th measure? I'm not exactly sure why it would switch at that point, I certainly see no reason to.

The whole point is to make the music easier to read. The first few measures could conceivably be written in the treble clef, but you were to compare the two, it would be much more difficult to read, as counting the ledger-lines would be more tedious then it would need to be.

By the way, this is only a tip, but I wouldn't recommend this piece for an extreme beginner. Its not that its a terribly difficult piece to play, but it seems to me like a piece more suited to help develop a sound and touch at the piano, rather then something that would help effectively learn the basics of piano.

If you want my advice, you'd be better off going with some of these pieces:
Schumann - 3 Piano Sonatas for the Young
Clementi - 6 Sonatinas
Bach - 15 two-part Inventions

Do these to work up finger knowledge of the piano, then develop your touch at the piano with pieces like the Chopin.