I have an 02 MIM Fender Telecaster that I am selling on craigslist for $350 (with a HSC). I am also interested in trading for an Epiphone Les Paul Standard.

I have one offer, for a two year old Epi Les Paul Standard Plus, with a HSC for an even trade (the person initially asked about me offering something to ‘sweeten the pot’ – which I don’t intend to do – I am offering a straight up trade)

I am not too familiar with Epiphone Les Pauls (I have read / heard good and bad) as I usually play my American Stratocaster, but am looking at this guitar (my Tele, or possibly the LP) as a back-up, ‘messing around’ guitar. Maybe something to modify / play with. I am running this through a Jet City JCA20 head and cab and mostly play the blues / classic rock.

My question is – does this seem like a fair offer? Any opinions / thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Idk. The Les Paul only retails for like $50 more new. If you really want one maybe offer him a pedal or something?
Ya know, once you get down to the bare bones, there isnt that big of a difference between a Tele and a Les Paul. If you want something to mess around with and modify, I would just keep the Tele. Fender guitars are easily the most customizable. At one point I put a SD Hot Rails in my Tele and it really thickened up the tone. It wasnt spot on but it did sound damn close to my buddy's Les Paul. And thats just one example.
it would be a fairly fair offer

he sounds like a dick for asking for more though

but alas we live in a society filled with dicks
Quote by jdrier21
Ya know, once you get down to the bare bones, there isnt that big of a difference between a Tele and a Les Paul.

...bare bones meaning just the wood? Yeah, that's not exactly a really brilliant point, especially seeing as how wood has almost no effect on tone with electric guitars.

OT: I hate Epis look for Raven West Guitar on eBay. They have their own eBay store where they sell their blems (guitars that have a tiny finish flaw somewhere but are still perfectly playable). They're far better than Epis and tend to go for 350-400.
Quote by trueamerican
...bare bones meaning just the wood? Yeah, that's not exactly a really brilliant point, especially seeing as how wood has almost no effect on tone with electric guitars.

OT: I hate Epis look for Raven West Guitar on eBay. They have their own eBay store where they sell their blems (guitars that have a tiny finish flaw somewhere but are still perfectly playable). They're far better than Epis and tend to go for 350-400.

LiSteN PaL....I tHinK yOu'rReREr a HumPSTerr
Quote by trueamerican

I mean they both have a solid heavy body, 2 pups, single cut away, hardtail bridge, etc... my point is that it's easier than you think to make the two guitars sound similar.

edit- If you do sell your tele you could get a really nice Agile for $350. Just do a search everyone raves about them. I even had to buy one to see what the fuss was all about and I love it.
Last edited by jdrier21 at Jul 10, 2011,
Quote by jdrier21
Idk. The Les Paul only retails for like $50 more new. If you really want one maybe offer him a pedal or something?
Ya know, once you get down to the bare bones, there isnt that big of a difference between a Tele and a Les Paul. If you want something to mess around with and modify, I would just keep the Tele. Fender guitars are easily the most customizable. At one point I put a SD Hot Rails in my Tele and it really thickened up the tone. It wasnt spot on but it did sound damn close to my buddy's Les Paul. And thats just one example.

I'd stick with the Tele too. They're similar and you always take a risk in a trade.
I think I will stick with the Tele (unless I can find a cash deal soon) - I may just trade it in on a decent accoustic and be happy with that.

Man - what a problem to have, huh?

Thanks for all the feedback / thoughts - it is appreciated.
Quote by trueamerican

Quoted for fail.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Quote by trueamerican

I do hope you are kidding.
In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.

╔═══╗
║  ██ ║
╠═══╣
║╬  •• ║
╚═══╝
Quote by jdrier21
I mean they both have a solid heavy body, 2 pups, single cut away, hardtail bridge, etc... my point is that it's easier than you think to make the two guitars sound similar.

edit- If you do sell your tele you could get a really nice Agile for $350. Just do a search everyone raves about them. I even had to buy one to see what the fuss was all about and I love it.

And one generally has a lipstick pickup and a single coil, The other has 2 humbucklers. one has 4 controls for the volume and tone pots the other has two, one has a bridge built more for sustain and has a thicker neck and is heavier.

Also set neck vs Bolt on.

Quote by trueamerican

...If that were true all guitars would be around the same sort of price point. Thinkabouadit
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Last edited by cliff_em_all at Jul 11, 2011,