Hi

I bought two sm57s, cubase 5 and a r16 interface to make some recordings in my basement but I seem to get a very weak signal with the sm57. So weak that I have to turn the amp facing away from me to get an acceptable signal strenght that can keep up with the ezdrummer plugin I use... I use close micing and I was wondering how I can get the signal strenght stronger. I have a PreSonus Inspire 1394 and I was wondering if that could help me at all?

Thanks in advance!
i will give ya the fact that dynamic mics need a bit more gain, but as long as you are using enough volume from your amp to compare to a speaking voice and you are close miking the speaker cone you should have plenty of gain with your mic preamp to get a good signal.

is the mic preamp turned up to an appropriate level? looks like your device uses software to control mic gain, i'd check that if you haven't already.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
You might need a dedicated preamp. These are cheap and versatile: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/art-tube-mp-studio-v3-mic-preamp/180610000000000.

The $30 version is OK too, but less versatile. I have that one and changed the 12AX7 tube out for a Russian 12AT7 for vocals.

There's a lot of people giving it bad reviews, but I think they just don't know how to use it, or they're expecting it to perform like a $3,000 studio pre-amp.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Jul 10, 2011,
I've never had a problem with the $30 Art Preamp.

I have a PreSonus Inspire 1394 and I was wondering if that could help me at all?
It'll help a lot. How are you hooking it up? If you want an answer to a question then you need to include basic info like what the mic is plugged in to.
1. make sure the mic preamp is on
2. make sure your input level is set appropriately
3. Check your DAW for possible input level problems
4. make sure you don't have EZ drummer too loud

FYI, I mic with an sm57 at whisper volumes just fine.
WTLTL 2011

My SM57s seem to take much less gain to drive than my condensers.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com