I just joined a band I've been friends with for a while. They've had a few line up changes and the only members that have remained the same are the vocalist and drummer. (You can check out the way they sounded previously at www.myspace.com/wearecrusades). As of right now it's me on guitar, and the drummer and vocalist. We have a song written and are planning to go into the studio to record it this month but the only part we need left is bass. I have no clue how to write bass, and could really use some help. Do I just play a simplified version of the guitar parts? We wanna get this done and don't have time to wait to find a bassist.

Thanks in advance!
the bass shall follow the guitar or/and the drums

i suggest you listen to some metalcore bands and then you will notice how many of them that has their bass guitar following the guitar or the drums
For the fast parts, just stick to the root notes. When it comes to the breakdown (assuming that it's your typical metalcore soung) the guitar should play syncopated, staccato palm muted chords, and the bass should back it up and do fills in between the guitar chords (i.e. when the guitar is silent)
I'm not a bassist, but I think in metalcore it would be best to make a mix of following the guitar's melody and following the rhythm of the drums
I mean follow the chords or the riff in a way that makes it possible to incorporate rhythmic aspects. In that way you sort of make the link between the rhythmic section and the melodic section
I hope this was helpful and that you understood my crappy english
Karel
Quote by Frankeer
the bass shall follow the guitar or/and the drums

i suggest you listen to some metalcore bands and then you will notice how many of them that has their bass guitar following the guitar or the drums

well, what this guy said :p