A while back I thought it would be a good idea to build my own electric guitar. I have the body and neck made.... but don't quite have the tools to route out the pickup/pot cavities or neck pocket. Does anyone know of any companies which I could ship my materials to and they would do it for me, as well as attach the neck? I looked locally for guitar builders and didn't find too much.
find someone with a router that knows what s/hes doing and ask them to it

its what i would do and its not really that difficult if you measured right and got the right tools
Did you check your local hardware stores? They sometimes rent tools out for people.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
I live in Maryland/DC area.

While renting the tools is not a bad idea by any means, I've never done any routing before and would hate to mess up the wood at this point
What you need to do is find a good trim carpenter, 12 pack of beer he'll fix you right up. Yeah I wouldn't tackle if you didn't have any experience with power tools.
Quote by CharlieDay22
I live in Maryland/DC area.

While renting the tools is not a bad idea by any means, I've never done any routing before and would hate to mess up the wood at this point

Damn, if you were a UKer I would've offered my services :P
Quote by whoomit
Damn, if you were a UKer I would've offered my services :P

haha too bad tho i appreciate it
You can get the same if not better results using a chisel.
Just make sure you can shave with it. That means it is sharp enough for use. Sharpening is an easy process when you get the hang of it.
You'd be amazed at how many people use dull tools and blame the difficulty on the fact that they are hand tools.

My Joinery teacher has succesfully turned me into a hand tool addict.
..I was watching my death.
Last edited by timbit2006 at Jul 11, 2011,