I recently purchased a PRS SE Santana. It's an awesome little beast(: Anyway, I play blues and jazz, but the tone I like is a really bright, trebly tone. I usually play clean. I bought a DiMarzio EJ Custom for a neck pup and a DiMarzio PAF pro for the bridge. I'm a total newbie to guitar mods, and I'm definitely not going to try to do this myself, but I need some feedback on exactly what I want done to my guitar.

1) I want the tone pot taken out. Wouldn't this mean that the guitar would be brighter? Also, the tone control would then do nothing, so I could take it out, right?

2) Coil splitting the 'buckers. If I take out the tone pot, can I put a switch or toggle where the tone knob was to activate the coil split?

3) Volume pots. What would happen if I took the volume pot out? Would it affect the guitar's tone at all, or would it just make the guitar at max volume all the time?

4) Are there any other mods that I could do to make my guitar sound brighter? I'm talking electronic mods, I already use bright strings, a metal pick, etc. (yeah the pick eats through my strings quick but I don't mind). Relatively easy things that the luthier at my local music store would agree to tackle.

5) How much do you think all this should cost? All these mods plus a complete setup.

Thanks for any replies!
could use a 1 meg pot. I really like using them - they are really bright, although on some guitars it seems to take insane amounts of distortion to overdrive them when you use them. Alternatively you could have one of your pickups wired straight to the bridge. That works well too.
I second the 1 Meg pot. They increase high end and out put so they actually cause amps to overdrive easier when rolled up all the way. Not having a volume control would be brighter still though.
Quote by jwil00
1) I want the tone pot taken out. Wouldn't this mean that the guitar would be brighter? Also, the tone control would then do nothing, so I could take it out, right?

Don't take it out. Mod it to be No-Load (Bypass) that way when its all the way up its actually disengaged from the circuit, same result as taking it out. But if you do want to play with the tone controls, once you move it it will put it back in the circuit and then work like normal.
Where's Waldo?
Thanks for the advice! I'm really considering the no-load mod... So do how do you guys recommend coil splitting the humbuckers? I'm going to my music store tomorrow to talk to them about it, but I was just wondering if there was any way to install the controls for it besides a push/pull toggle or a two way switch, because I don't think they'll want to rout a new hole in my guitar to install a switch.
Quote by jwil00
Thanks for the advice! I'm really considering the no-load mod... So do how do you guys recommend coil splitting the humbuckers? I'm going to my music store tomorrow to talk to them about it, but I was just wondering if there was any way to install the controls for it besides a push/pull toggle or a two way switch, because I don't think they'll want to rout a new hole in my guitar to install a switch.

Whats wrong with push/pull? And if you pay them they will add a switch, 2,3, or 5 way. Companies don't care if its hard or not, money is money.
Where's Waldo?