Hi guys so im using an old strat body i have to make a guitar......only thing is i wanna put a 24 fret 25.5 scale neck onto the strat body...now people have been telling me that i would have to rout the neck pocket and loose the neck pup...is that true? can i not just do a straight swap?? also the body has a pick guard so if needs be can i not just make a custom plate with the neck pup further down to allow for the 2 exra frets?
On a strat, the neck pickup is located exactly where the 24th fret would be. You will need to move the neck pickup closer to the bridge if you want to fit a 24 fret neck onto it. You'll probably also need to route the neck pocket as well.

Keep in mind that under the pickguard, there's a limited amount of space for the pickup, so you'll most likely need to make the pickup cavity a bit wider.
No, just get a 24 fret Strat neck and bolt it on if it's the same bolt patteren. If you were going to add 2 more frets to the current neck, I would think you'd have to pull out all the frets, and move them so you can have room to add 2 more.
if you get a neck with the 22nd-24th frets on an overhang and the neck pocket dimensions are the same as your current neck, you could do a direct swap. only problem is, your neck pickup will be under the overhang
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
Quote by ethan_hanus
No, just get a 24 fret Strat neck and bolt it on if it's the same bolt patteren. If you were going to add 2 more frets to the current neck, I would think you'd have to pull out all the frets, and move them so you can have room to add 2 more.

Clearly you are not a luthier.

OT: So long as you have a neck that fits into the pocket and stays with the scale length, you won't have a problem with mounting the neck itself. There are places that sell such necks. Previous posters have pointed out that you will need to move the neck pickup to make sure there's actually room for it.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
You can't do a straight swap because if you do, the fret at the end of the neck pocket would be the 24th rather than the 22nd, so the 12th fret would be the distance between the 22nd and 24th fret further away from the bridge. So the scale length would be wrong.

In order to use a 24 fret neck in the place of a 22 fret neck, you would need to reroute the neck pocket so the 12th fret is in the same place. You probably would lose the neck pocket.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
You can't do a straight swap because if you do, the fret at the end of the neck pocket would be the 24th rather than the 22nd, so the 12th fret would be the distance between the 22nd and 24th fret further away from the bridge. So the scale length would be wrong.

In order to use a 24 fret neck in the place of a 22 fret neck, you would need to reroute the neck pocket so the 12th fret is in the same place. You probably would lose the neck pocket.

Unless you're buying your necks from someone who has never actually seen a guitar but just had one described to him and got out his bandsaw, the difference between a 22 and 24 fret Stratocaster neck is the overhang over the pickguard. The neck pocket is in the same place and the heel of the neck itself is in the same place, so long as it was built to be a 25.5" scale replacement. Mighty Mite, Warmoth, and every other generic replacement I've ever seen has done it exactly this way.

This is how it works. Read this.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Last edited by Reisgar42 at Jul 10, 2011,
Quote by Reisgar42
Unless you're buying your necks from someone who has never actually seen a guitar but just had one described to him and got out his bandsaw, the difference between a 22 and 24 fret Stratocaster neck is the overhang over the pickguard. The neck pocket is in the same place and the heel of the neck itself is in the same place, so long as it was built to be a 25.5" scale replacement. Mighty Mite, Warmoth, and every other generic replacement I've ever seen has done it exactly this way.

This is how it works. Read this.

The TS didn't say that the neck had an overhang. Of course, if it has an overhang that's perfectly fine. However, I've found that it's better not to just assume that that's the case, and make sure that if they're asking if they can just put a no-name 24 fret neck that hasn't got an overhang into a 22 fret guitar, the scale length will be wrong.

Also, I think overhangs are creepy and wrong . It's too hard to reach the frets!
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.