Hi,
I have recently bought a hollow body guitar with ruined electronics that I am fixing as a bit of a project. The pickups currently in the guitar are unbranded single-coils and they look and sound dreadful. I am thinking of replacing them with 'lipstick' pickups like what you would find on a Danelectro. What are people's opinions on these kind of pickups?
personally im a big fan, they have a good sort of underground feel and are surprisingly versatile. Very good overdriven and very good clean (not so good through distortion). Unfortunately they dont have much sustain, not great for beefier sounds. However there was nothing I could get from my danelectro that i couldnt get from my strat, so i sold my dano. Might therefore be better off with a good set of standard single coils unless you specificlly love the danolectro sound. All just down to taste
Hmm, any suggestions as to what would be good in this guitar?. The guitar sounds horrible at the moment but that could be down to the fact the electronics have gone to hell.
I think lipstick pickups sound awesome. GFS has some decent sounding ones for pretty cheap and of course Seymour Duncan if you wanna spend more.

I say do it.
My first choice would be P-90s but that would mean doing some major surgery and this is the first time I've ever tried anything on this sort of scale (rebuilding the electronics) so I'm sticking to single coils, at least for now
Lipstick pickups are cool. Kind of a more rich single coil sound. I had one in my old Schecter Banshee, and while it was just a Duncan Design, it was very nice. But it wasn't as smooth and creamy as my GFS 60s repro in the neck of my strat, and that's the sound I prefer out of a neck pickup. A lipstick isn't the same as a Tele neck pickup though.

Lipsticks are bigger though, so it may be a tight fit in a strat.
Quote by ethan_hanus
P-90's would easily fit in there, just remove those pickup rings. I bet that guitar was originally designed with P-90's in mind to begin with.

I removed the pickup rings, the hole underneath is not rectangular, it's more a hexagon with long horizontal edges. I ought to measure it exactly as it may be possible to mount a dog-ear P-90 but a soap-bar is out of the question.
Quote by itz4mna
I removed the pickup rings, the hole underneath is not rectangular, it's more a hexagon with long horizontal edges. I ought to measure it exactly as it may be possible to mount a dog-ear P-90 but a soap-bar is out of the question.

Thats odd. I'd still put P-90's in there over a soap bar or single coils, even if you have to route out some of that wood.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Thats odd. I'd still put P-90's in there over a soap bar or single coils, even if you have to route out some of that wood.

I'd probably take it to the guitar shop then, I have next to no experience working with wood. I think I'll put single coils in for now and install a decent set of P-90s when I can afford some decent ones.
Nice looking guitar! If you're not going to use the original pickups, feel free to cut the hole to fit your new pickups. Before you toss the originals, redo the wiring. Its very likely that the bad sound is related to the sad condition of the components. Also play with the distance between the pickups and the strings, it can have interesting effects on tone. (I assume you already put on new strings? I leave the crap that come with an old guitar during initial repairs, but it does make a difference when I finally break out a new set. I've found its kinda pointless to set intonation with old strings.)