Poll Options
View poll results: Fact/Truth?
Yes
33 29%
No
81 71%
Voters: 114.
Page 1 of 3
For example: If a person says "drunk driving is a bad thing", we know it's an opinion because it uses his own personal thoughts. But then again, the vast majority of people would accept this statement as truth, and not many others would refute it.

So my question for you is would you accept an opinion such as this as being true/factual?

P.S.: Adding no neutral/middle-ground to the poll so that you'll be forced to take a side.
No. Facts are accepted on the basis of the logic and/or evidence backing them, not on the basis of who says them or how socially accepted they are.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Social acceptability does not equate to truth or fact.

Quote by Kevin19
P.S.: Adding no neutral/middle-ground to the poll so that you'll be forced to take a side.

oh my, TS is...edgy.
Quote by Wesseem
drunk driving is a bad thing is not an opinion...there is statistical evidence showing those who drink are more likely to be in a car accident and kill/injure themselves or others...

According to one of my friends, statistics and facts are two completely different things.

Then again it was a girl so who cares what she says?
Quote by Kevin19
For example: If a person says "drunk driving is a bad thing", we know it's an opinion because it uses his own personal thoughts. But then again, the vast majority of people would accept this statement as truth, and not many others would refute it.

So my question for you is would you accept an opinion such as this as being true/factual?

The thing is, we know that drunk driving is bad because we also know that drink driving causes more accidents than normal driving.

We have some evidence to back up his claim that drink driving is bad, and we can interpret it similarly to a fact.

If someone said to me 'Mexican people like playing scrabble' I wouldn't be able to do anything but accept his OPINION because I don't have any factual evidence to back up his claim.

In my opinion, some opinions that have factual evidence to back up I do not consider factual but a widely accepted and agreeable view.
Quote by Ruination
I do genuinely love her, and not just because I like her breasts you know?
No. Well, maybe if it was said by Carl Sagan.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kevin19
For example: If a person says "drunk driving is a bad thing", we know it's an opinion because

Seriously?
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
No.

Drunk driving on a desert plain where you could only hurt yourself would be fun. Drunk driving in a city street where you're putting others at risk is bad.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
No, bad wording, I'd say I could accept a widely accepted opinion as my own opinion if it makes sense. My sig is somewhat relevant here.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by Wesseem
drunk driving is a bad thing is not an opinion...there is statistical evidence showing those who drink are more likely to be in a car accident and kill/injure themselves or others...

edit: if you're a sociopath then this is a good thing...
And it's those statistics that make it a fact. Facts are proven by logical processes and/or evidence. It is logical that there is a possibility a drunk driver will hit someone. Based upon that and the stats, we have proven that drunk driving isn't a good thing.

So, without proof, there is no reason to accept anything.
Quote by ethan_hanus
It's called common sense...most people on here are seriously lacking it.

Common sense doesn't exist, it's an illusion based on commonly accepted fact, as has been proven in scientific studies.

In one hilarious study they told people various psychological findings, such as hot weather makes people more placid. A great majority said that those findings were what one would expect from "common sense".
In actual fact the findings that they were told were the opposite of what consistent evidence has shown (hot weather actually increases aggression).
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by ethan_hanus
Admit what? You've just shown that you're a prick who will change what people say to make you're own argument more reasonable, or to just be a prick.

Don't agree with me, get over it.
Ethan, it's better to ignore people who attack you. Especially since, in your case, there's a lot of people who attack you. I'm not trying to be a dick, just I've seen a lot of people tell you to stfu.

Quote by Ur all $h1t
Common sense doesn't exist, it's an illusion based on commonly accepted fact, as has been proven in scientific studies.

In one hilarious study they told people various psychological findings, such as hot weather makes people more placid. A great majority said that those findings were what one would expect from "common sense".
In actual fact the findings that they were told were the opposite of what consistent evidence has shown (hot weather actually increases aggression).
That's actually quite ironic.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jul 10, 2011,
Quote by Ur all $h1t

I can assure you it does, coming from someone who has none
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by Kevin19

Once upon a time someone said the world is flat. The vast majority of people accepted it as true and nobody refuted it. One day, centuries later, a guy named Magellan DID refute it. The end.

An opinion isn't fact merely because lots of people say so.
"OP is a fag" is a commonly accepted opinion these days.

Drunk driving IS bad and that is a fact. Not an opinion. Drunk driving kills.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
I understand what you are getting at, but you picked a bad example. If "drunk driving is bad" is an opinion, that means that "drunk driving is good" would have to be the opposite opinion.

In what way could drunk driving possibly be good?

Quote by metal4all
No.

Drunk driving on a desert plain where you could only hurt yourself would be fun. Drunk driving in a city street where you're putting others at risk is bad.

Right, that makes sense. The possibility of flipping your vehicle, demolishing your spine, and spending the rest of your life in a wheel chair is fun.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

That's stupid. Common sense is things like, "oh, I shouldn't touch that red hot piece of metal cause I might get burned and it hurt."

Or, "Oh, I shouldn't stand near the edge of that unprotected cliff, I might fall off."

Or, "Oh, if I drag this knife across my fingers, it might cut me."

Or, "Oh, if I piss of this guy with a gun he might possibly shoot me."

Common sense, not stupid useless BS that nobody cares about.
Quote by isabiggles
I can assure you it does, coming from someone who has none

It really doesn't. It's just a bunch of commonly accepted facts and ways of thinking, which are often correct (and those can be confirmed through empirical study and proper logical thinking). Sometimes they are incorrect, and the problem comes when people try to say that those things being "common sense" make them bulletproof

Quote by ethan_hanus

Or, "Oh, I shouldn't stand near the edge of that unprotected cliff, I might fall off."

You should visit the Cliffs of Moher in Ireland, thousands of people do that every day, it's a great experience.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at Jul 10, 2011,
Quote by Colgate Total
Drunk driving kills.

Nope. Cars do. Drunk driving just increases the likelihood that the car being driven will kill someone.
Quote by ethan_hanus
*Common sense rant*
That's because enough people have done those things to have it proven that it's bad to do those things.

HOWEVER, remember that it used to be "common sense", when someone got sick, for the doctor to bleed out the impurities/bad spirits. Unfortunately, more people probably died from loss of blood than were saved by this technique.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Exactly, common sense, COMMON, get it?

You people make me laugh.

How droll...you fail yet again.

Also, read above example.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Exactly, common sense, COMMON, get it?

You people make me laugh.

You make me laugh. You've essentially redefined common sense as empirical reasoning, which is hilarious.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
How droll...you fail yet again.

Also, read above example.

...You brought up something that's completely irrelevant to our time, how do I fail?

EDIT: ^ I'd like to see you try and work the clutch on a tractor, or hook up a trailer, or make a fire using flint and steel. Bet you would stumble about like a helpless child.

You have your fancy words, studies, and "science" while I have experience and the ability to actually figure things out and not rely on someone to tell me what to do.

Common sense, something you'll never understand, and people are afraid of what they don't understand, so they will criticize it and try to bury it under baseless facts.
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Jul 10, 2011,
Quote by Ur all $h1t
It really doesn't. It's just a bunch of commonly accepted facts and ways of thinking, which are often correct (and those can be confirmed through empirical study and proper logical thinking). Sometimes they are incorrect, and the problem comes when people try to say that those things being "common sense" make them bulletproof.

But surely if common sense is just a commonly accepted fact, then it does exist, because commonly accepted facts exist. I mean the argument that common sense is not an arbitrary system I guess could work, but that isn't what you're arguing.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
I always hear common sense as things you should just, as a human being, know.

The issue with that is, it is generally accepted as common sense that you should not touch a hot stove, or you will get burned. However, if someone has never seen nor heard of a stove, there is no way they could have this common sense. So it isn't really common sense.
Quote by Todd Hart
But surely if common sense is just a commonly accepted fact, then it does exist, because commonly accepted facts exist. I mean the argument that common sense is not an arbitrary system I guess could work, but that isn't what you're arguing.

You've taken me too literally and I've explained myself poorly. Common sense, as a concrete and reliable system for understanding the world in an accurate matter, does not exist.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
You've taken me too literally and I've explained myself poorly. Common sense, as a concrete and reliable system for understanding the world in an accurate matter, does not exist.

Okay, this I agree with. It sounded like you were saying that common sense as a sociological construct doesn't exist. Or at least that's how I read it. Carry on gentlemen.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by ethan_hanus
EDIT: ^ I'd like to see you try and work the clutch on a tractor, or hook up a trailer, or make a fire using flint and steel. Bet you would stumble about like a helpless child.

You have your fancy words, studies, and "science" while I have experience and the ability to actually figure things out and not rely on someone to tell me what to do.

Common sense, something you'll never understand, and people are afraid of what they don't understand, so they will criticize it and try to bury it under baseless facts.

Quote by ethan_hanus
...You brought up something that's completely irrelevant to our time, how do I fail?
You're not very good at figuring out the point, are you?

Quote by ethan_hanus

Quote by Ur all $h1t
It really doesn't. It's just a bunch of commonly accepted facts and ways of thinking, which are often correct (and those can be confirmed through empirical study and proper logical thinking). Sometimes they are incorrect, and the problem comes when people try to say that those things being "common sense" make them bulletproof

You should see me try to close window blinds. It would sway your belief >.>
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by ethan_hanus
That's stupid. Common sense is things like, "oh, I shouldn't touch that red hot piece of metal cause I might get burned and it hurt."

Or, "Oh, if I drag this knife across my fingers, it might cut me."

Or, "Oh, if I piss of this guy with a gun he might possibly shoot me."

Common sense, not stupid useless BS that nobody cares about.

Or "Properly performed scientific research is near-bulletproof and it would be silly to question it without evidence to the contrary."
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by Dirge Humani
I've had it for years and I love it

so I've noticed.

Oh, by the way, Ethan. Call me crazy for having my fancy words and "science" but I can guaran-damn-tee that I could do all of those common farmhand tasks a lot better than you.

I've had years of ranch work, brah.
Page 1 of 3